Sabre Man Registered User

DaireQuinlan said:
They are not 'platform providers' they are, in certain instances (of which YouTube is certainly one) publishers, and that makes them responsible for content they've published.

If I stole your photos and published them in a photobook claiming them as mine, would you hold the publisher responsible?

DaireQuinlan Registered User

Sabre Man said:
If I stole your photos and published them in a photobook claiming them as mine, would you hold the publisher responsible?

In that you are the publisher in that instance, yes :-D
Photobox (for example) can't be regarded as a 'publisher' in the proper sense of the word, if they were producing 1000 copies of your photobook for resale then they would be.

-edit- to clarify, I assume you're talking about vanity style photobooks here i.e. photobox and the like. They're more akin to printers than 'publishers'.

1 person has thanked this post
Sabre Man Registered User

DaireQuinlan said:
In that you are the publisher in that instance, yes :-D
Photobox (for example) can't be regarded as a 'publisher' in the proper sense of the word, if they were producing 1000 copies of your photobook for resale then they would be.

-edit- to clarify, I assume you're talking about vanity style photobooks here i.e. photobox and the like. They're more akin to printers than 'publishers'.

Sorry, I meant printer, not publisher.

beauf Registered User

YouTube is publisher in this instance no.

thebaz Registered User

I'm overcome with sympathy for the poor souls at Google - they can have everything for free - is that what they want ? - original creativity at no price - Sergey Brin can make more billions while struggling artists in all mediums wither or starve or just give up.

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!