masterboy123 Registered User

What car alarm company is best?

And is it advisable to get proximity sensor and other features as well?

I got quote for 270e. Is it a good price?

Atlantic Dawn Registered User

Depends on the car, if the car is easily stolen without the key I would go for something that would be linked to the ignition system and stop the car being started. If it's a car that can't be stolen without the key I'd look at getting a secure locker to put the key in at your house.

biko Arbiter

What alarm was that price for OP?
Clifford has been around a long time and is a good choice.

If you tell us your location we can help with recommending fitters.

1 person has thanked this post
Del2005 Registered User

Atlantic Dawn said:
Depends on the car, if the car is easily stolen without the key I would go for something that would be linked to the ignition system and stop the car being started. If it's a car that can't be stolen without the key I'd look at getting a secure locker to put the key in at your house.

No point in having the keys secured and not yourself or family, cars can be replaced so leave the keys in a place that can't be seen from outside.

3 people have thanked this post

Not sure about the alarm i was quoted for. I will ring tomorrow and find it out.

My car has immobiliser so only car key can start it.

I am based in South, Tipperary.

Any specific thing i should ask the fitter?

If you have a good experience with a particular model let me know.

I saw car alarms with remote start feature. It would be a cool feature.

biko said:
What alarm was that price for OP?

If you tell us your location we can help with recommending fitters.

CiniO Registered User

To be honest any mainstream alarm which is mass manufactured, can be easily overridden by someone who knows that stuff.

Best way to protect the car, is to have a custom protection - even simple but well hidden.

It's viper car alarm.

Del2005 Registered User

masterboy123 said:
Not sure about the alarm i was quoted for. I will ring tomorrow and find it out.

My car has immobiliser so only car key can start it.

I am based in South, Tipperary.

If you have a good experience with a particular model let me know.

Remote start means that they either disable the manufacturers immobiliser or stick the transponder in the car. Neither are good options.

2 people have thanked this post
Wibbs Je suis un Rock star

masterboy123 said:
What car alarm company is best?
IMHO it's all about the installation. A mid range well installed alarm is better than a top of the range alarm installed in the usual fashion.

And is it advisable to get proximity sensor and other features as well?
A proximity sensor will drive you nuts giving false warnings/alarms(though sometimes useful, they can be a pain to set up). Basic inbuilt shock sensors can be similar. A tilt sensor can be a good extra if you have nice wheels. If someone tries to jack up your car to steal them, or if they try to tow it, it'll set off the alarm and they don't tend to false alarm. Glass break sensors are OK too.

I got quote for 270e. Is it a good price?
It's not too expensive, but at that price it's going to be a "standard" type install. Time is money so it'll be fitted pretty quickly.

If you're willing to pay a little extra for the alarm fitters time, I would ask them to install the alarm unit in a place that requires the removal of an internal panel to get to. Not under the dashboard as usual. Upgrade the siren to one with a battery backup and install it somewhere like inside a front wing, not in the usual bolted to the bulkhead with a self tapping screw. If the alarm model has a secondary output get them to wire up a relay that also sounds the car's horn. That really gets attention. Get them to wire the alarm's immobiliser to a circuit other than the starter motor. Fuel pump, ignition, that sort of thing. Starter immobilisers are the usual, which is fine for the US market where automatics are the norm, but not so secure in a manual as you can just push start the car(and are easy to find and bypass). Get them to put this immobiliser circuit anywhere but under the dash near the ignition circuit.

Don't get this. As Del2005 points out in order for that to work they have to bypass the built in immobiliser. Not good and a "feature" you'll quickly get tired of anyway.

It's viper car alarm.
Viper are a good range. They're one of the companies owned by DEI. Clifford are another.

biko said:

I dunno B IMH Clifford have long been overrated and overpriced. Third party car alarms have kinda been stuck in the past. Few enough innovations since the early noughties. About the only ones being Canbus systems and two way systems. And fancier fobs with LCD screens(cool, but delicate, eat batteries and do zero for the security on the car itself). To all intents and purposes a decent car alarm you would have bought in the late 90's is the same as one you'd buy today. Though there are some like Cobra and Autowatch that have some nice innovations, but not really available in the Irish market as far as I know. I suppose when cars started to come with factory immobilisers and alarms few people went out and paid for an extra alarm, so the market changed. It'll change again considering how easily some factory systems can be bypassed.

8 people have thanked this post

A huge thanks to Wibbs. For giving in depth idea about car alarms. I will check with the fitter about these options.

Del2005 Registered User

Wibbs said:
If the alarm model has a secondary output get them to wire up a relay that also sounds the car's horn. That really gets attention.

It's been shown numerous times that people ignore alarms, they even ignore people obviously stealing in the street. All making more noise will do is make a person go "FFS some knobs loud alarm is going off". The only person who will pay attention to the alarm is the owner when in earshot.

dar83 Registered User

Del2005 said:
It's been shown numerous times that people ignore alarms, they even ignore people obviously stealing in the street. All making more noise will do is make a person go "FFS some knobs loud alarm is going off". The only person who will pay attention to the alarm is the owner when in earshot.

I'd still rather have one than not though!

ironclaw Registered User

My view on car alarms is how often do you go out of your way to check an alarm going off in your neighbourhood? Never? I know I rarely would give more than a cursory look.

Spend the money on a decent tracker installation and stick a Tile Mate (https://www.thetileapp.com/en-eu/store/tiles/mate) in the headlining. If the thieves want your car, they are going to take it. Only real obstacle would be a securely locked gate or bollard, otherwise you're looking at damage control by knowing where the car is once its taken.

Wibbs Je suis un Rock star

ironclaw said:
Spend the money on a decent tracker installation and stick a Tile Mate (https://www.thetileapp.com/en-eu/store/tiles/mate) in the headlining.
While a tracker is a good layer, the single biggest problem is your car has already been stolen. It's less a security feature more a recovery feature. Which is good, as I say it's another security layer and as you say damage control. Scenarios where scum use a tow truck for example, or in a hijack situation. However they're not foolproof and the better informed scum know where it's likely to be hidden. The tile mate relies on enough other tiles in the area close enough(under a 100ft) to be in bluetooth range.

If the thieves want your car, they are going to take it.
This line of defeatist reasoning really grinds my gears TBH. I mean why bother locking your front door, after all if the burglars want to break in, they'll break in. May as well leave your car keys in the ignition while you're at it. Of course you wouldn't, because they are security layers, as are other options. The more layers one has the more the odds are against the car thief, many, if most of whom are opportunists.

Remember the woman whose BMW was stolen from outside her house with the range extender? If she had a secondary alarm/immobiliser her car would still be outside her house. Those who had BMW's and other cars stolen because of the OBD access/key cloning? If they had a secondary alarm/immobiliser their cars would still be outside their houses. In both scenarios the thieves will look for easier pickings. The opportunists because they can only bypass the obvious stuff and the "professionals" because they know that the majority of cars they target won't have these layers.

Ok.
So it appears car alarm has precedence over gps tracker.
I am getting into touch with fitters and see who can quote me the best

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!