kifi Registered User

Need a new diesel car. Like the idea of being higher up for a driving position. My commute is 50% country road / motorway. 100km round trip. Was thinking of a small crossover/SUV such as Mazda CX3 / Renault Kadjar, Peugeot 2008 / Honda HRV / or the new Toyota CRH

Should I really be going for a mid sized hatchback or are these new SUVs frugal enough for a daily commute?

Thanks

bazz26 Registered User

They are mostly based on supermini size cars so comfort and refinement is not going to be cutting edge so make sure you are comfortable in one doing 100km per day and when you get out of it afterwards.

1 person has thanked this post
kifi Registered User

bazz26 said:
They are mostly based on supermini size cars so comfort and refinement is not going to be cutting edge so make sure you are comfortable in one doing 100km per day and when you get out of it afterwards.

Thanks, what would you recommend? Looking for comfort and efficiency.

bazz26 Registered User

Well generally the higher up the segments you go the more refined and comfortable the car tends to be but of course they tend to cost more. If you're driving on poor surfaces then I'd avoid anything with big rims or sports suspension.

road_high Registered User

I'd imagine the Renault would be a good bet for comfort and refinement- it's bigger than the others listed.
Personally I'd prefer a Passat/Insignia type car for commuting. Potentially more efficient, better driving dynamics and more power/economy.

benjydagg Registered User

VW Tiguan My average weekly is 1000km motorway and local roads.

_Brian Registered User

Do you need the upright driving position ??
I moved away from saloon cars due to a back injury, I drive a Tiguan now, much easier on the back and I find saloons awfully low now.

Shefwedfan Registered User

kifi said:
Need a new diesel car. Like the idea of being higher up for a driving position. My commute is 50% country road / motorway. 100km round trip. Was thinking of a small crossover/SUV such as Mazda CX3 / Renault Kadjar, Peugeot 2008 / Honda HRV / or the new Toyota CRH

Should I really be going for a mid sized hatchback or are these new SUVs frugal enough for a daily commute?

Thanks

So the journey itself is 50km to work and 50km back?

Also would give a bit more info, kids? how many if you do? if not do you plan on having them in the life of the car etc?

Are you going brand new or looking second hand? Need anything like automatic?

kifi Registered User

Shefwedfan said:
So the journey itself is 50km to work and 50km back?

Also would give a bit more info, kids? how many if you do? if not do you plan on having them in the life of the car etc?

Are you going brand new or looking second hand? Need anything like automatic?

Have a 1 year old girl and another on the way in the autumn. Yes, 50k to work and 50k back.

I guess a car between 1 and 3 years old would be the aim, bit might consider new too.

kifi said:
Have a 1 year old girl and another on the way in the autumn. Yes, 50k to work and 50k back.

I guess a car between 1 and 3 years old would be the aim, bit might consider new too.

Ok, I would suggest electric based on mileage but you will have issue with size

You are going to have same problem with the cars you listed. I had a Qashqai, swapped it last year for SMAX when we had 1 and 3 year old. Why you might ask, boot space is shocking. Put one buggy in, any sort of buggy and boot is full.

The tiguan suggested has smaller boot than Qashqai. The Kadjar would be exact same as Qashqai.

I dont know about CX3 or 2008 but I would guess they are the same. If like Toyota you could try and find Prius+. It is hybrid 7 seater, but really not a 7 seater. Looks kind of like a crossover. Depends if you like Toyota or not. The mileage you are doing would suit Hybrid. Very hard to pick up but you can get in from UK. My friend has one and raves about it, they only have 2 kids but bought for boot space.

SMAX etc are probably a bit bigger than what you wanted to look at, but CMAX might be option, other people will know better than me on CMAX....

What sort of budget you have? Might give people better idea...also anything out, is MPV out? only considering Crossovers?

There is a couple of Hyrid available in crossover on market. Depends on what budget is like.

AMKC Registered User

kifi said:

Thanks

@OP First off the Renault Kadjar is in a higher up class than them other cars and is bigger. It is basically a Nissan Qushqui with a Renault badge. The Renault Captur do is in the same class the other crossovers you mentioned.
A Ford S-Max is a lovely car and well worth considering.
The Toyota C-HR is not small but it also is not the most practical as its coupe looks mean the rear windows offer very little visibility out of them and the handles are high up.

TheBigEvil Registered User

I have a 90km round trip to work, on a combination of motorway and standard roads, including having to start top in traffic at end of M1 in whitehall to get the final few km to work.

I drive a VW Passat, 2ltr diesel and am getting on average 1400km on a fill. Yes you read that right, 1400km. And that includes small running around at home during weekend. Fuel economy is obviously way better when on motorway than on local roads. On average the overall fuel use is about 4.3ltr/100km

Just note the taller the car the height the fuel economy, obviously because of the increased drag.

The Rav4 Hybrid (Petrol/Electric) is suppose to be very good on economy too. If you go onto their page, at the bottom of it, there are some user review videos of people that have given their experiences of owning it.
https://www.toyota.ie/models/rav4/index.json#

TheBigEvil said:
I have a 90km round trip to work, on a combination of motorway and standard roads, including having to start top in traffic at end of M1 in whitehall to get the final few km to work.

I drive a VW Passat, 2ltr diesel and am getting on average 1400km on a fill. Yes you read that right, 1400km. And that includes small running around at home during weekend. Fuel economy is obviously way better when on motorway than on local roads. On average the overall fuel use is about 4.3ltr/100km

Just note the taller the car the height the fuel economy, obviously because of the increased drag.

The Rav4 Hybrid (Petrol/Electric) is suppose to be very good on economy too. If you go onto their page, at the bottom of it, there are some user review videos of people that have given their experiences of owning it.
https://www.toyota.ie/models/rav4/index.json#

I would not believe one number posted on this forum in regards to Ltr/100. All of them unrealistic and unachievable

It seems Ireland is the only country in the World that can gain this magnificent performance.....if the numbers where reality no manufacturer would ever both building a petrol/electric/hybrid engine again

4 people have thanked this post
650Ginge Registered User

Shefwedfan said:
I would not believe one number posted on this forum in regards to Ltr/100. All of them unrealistic and unachievable

It seems Ireland is the only country in the World that can gain this magnificent performance.....if the numbers where reality no manufacturer would ever both building a petrol/electric/hybrid engine again

Yep I would say that the figures in that post would need to be backed up by some hard evidence before I would in any way be making a car buying decision on them.

5500+ Passat 2.0 diesel drivers who care enough about fuel usage to record their fuel usage say it is is not impossible but you are way, way better than average.
https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/50-Volkswagen/456-Passat.html?fueltype=1&powerunit=2

Also that Hybrid Rav4 is not that economical either...
https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/49-Toyota/440-RAV_4.html?fueltype=6&powerunit=2

pwurple Registered User

No issue with size in an electric for 2 kids. We're a family of 5 and it's plenty roomy in the Nissan Leaf.

OP, to answer your question, Electric will be the most frugal.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!