Wanderer2010 Registered User

VERY divisive question but personally, I would never recline on someone behind me because, since I experienced this recently on a long flight and it was very uncomfortable, I know that its annoying for the person behind being limited to a few inches moving space as they eat their food or try and watch the tv.

Then again, others clearly don't care and just do it every time.

Are you a recliner or not?

6 people have thanked this post
Armchair Andy Registered User

Only when the stewardess is blowing me. Gives 'em more room for air apparently.

6 people have thanked this post
whomitconcerns Registered User

Long haul of course I would as would most others. Short haul your an ass if you do

18 people have thanked this post
Toots Administrator

On long haul I would, but not fully. Only slightly just so I'm not sitting bolt upright if I fall asleep. People who recline on short haul flights are the absolute worst. The recline option should be disabled on short haul.

34 people have thanked this post
Cutie 3.14 Registered User

A man sitting in front of me tried to recline his seat once on a longish flight, (5-6 hours) I wasn't having any of it so I held his chair in place so he couldn't recline it, after a minute or so of him trying to recline and wondering why it would't he turned around and realised it was me that was stopping the chair. He didnt bother reclining after that.

Dickhead move of me? Probably but fook that.

28 people have thanked this post
gramar Registered User

Wanderer2010 said:
VERY divisive question but personally, I would never recline on someone behind me because, since I experienced this recently on a long flight and it was very uncomfortable, I know that its annoying for the person behind being limited to a few inches moving space as they eat their food or try and watch the tv.

Then again, others clearly don't care and just do it every time.

Are you a recliner or not?

Most of my flights are about 2 hours and I rarely bother. On the odd occasions I do I'll have a look and see if there is anyone there and if empty or it's a kid who won't miss the room then back I go.

The other day I had two young fellas ahead of me about 20. The plane hadn't taken off and he had the seat back. Then at various times during the flight they'd get into a kinda play wrestling match and with the jostling the back of the seat was hitting my knee and waking me. My take on it is that it's your seat and you can do what you like with it but that doesn't mean it's not a pain in the hole for the person sitting behind you.

Turtyturd Registered User

No, I'm not an as$hole.

21 people have thanked this post
Jawgap Registered User

I think on long haul after the meal, it's fair enough to recline the seat......

......I get very 'fidgety' if I think someone has reclined unfairly or too early in the flight

3 people have thanked this post
whoopsadoodles Registered User

Cutie 3.14 said:
A man sitting in front of me tried to recline his seat once on a longish flight, (5-6 hours) I wasn't having any of it so I held his chair in place so he couldn't recline it, after a minute or so of him trying to recline and wondering why it would't he turned around and realised it was me that was stopping the chair. He didnt bother reclining after that.

That sounds like something a child would do.

72 people have thanked this post
Canis Lupus Registered User

Cutie 3.14 said:

Complete d*ckhead move. On long haul once the aircraft is at cruising level it's pretty much expected that everyone reclines until food comes around. You do this and you have all the space you need. If you feel some weird retarded need to stay upright for 10 hours plus that's your problem. Don't take it out on others.

60 people have thanked this post
Wheety Registered User

I don't generally recline. I hate it when others do it. Great move by Ryanair to remove this function.

Was on a 5 hour flight recently. Checking in, I noticed emergency exit seats were free. Picked those and had tonnes of leg room. Family in front noticed on take off that they couldn't recline and asked the stewardess why. Were told they couldn't because the emergency exit was behind them.

7 people have thanked this post
riffmongous Moderator

Cutie 3.14 said:

Fair play, I hate recliners with a passion

10 people have thanked this post
TheChizler Registered User

What's wrong with asking the person behind if they mind you reclining?

3 people have thanked this post
Aongus Von Bismarck Registered User

I don't fly in cattle class, so this isn't an issue for me.

45 people have thanked this post
bee06 Registered User

On long flights usually I would to some extent. My last 6 hour flight outboard I didn't though because there was a man with a baby on his lap behind me so it seemed pretty sh*tty to limit their space even more. On the way back (on the overnight flight) I did so I could get some sleep.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!