While I was there, it was as if I had to let them act as if they were smarter than me in order to get along with them! It didn't take me long to realise, that the manager who I was supposed to report to on paper, didn't want anything to do with me. He just directed me towards other manager that were beneath him.. which weren't very nice. I remember one of them once told me to get out of his face, and another said to me "I need you to get out and pull your finger out!" I got boyed a lot by one as he tried to knock me into place.

I don't really mind managers addressing a worker's mistakes more so than encouraging what they're doing right - but when 95% of the feedback (of a reasonably good worker) is pointing out what they wrong in a rather condescending manner, it becomes a bit much. I think I might have got a "good man" or two, but that's it. If I was a manager, I'd reaslise that a worker doesn't need to feel you breathing down their neck in order for them to get their work done. Why is this? I've also heard some very bad things about Dunnes!

As an example of how the manager were nasty, one night I was told to face off the "ends". When I was going around the store facing them off, I couldn't help but to face off the ladders too, which were right next to the ends. I remember stopping myself and thinking "hang on, he just asked me to do the ends". So I continued doing just that. This manager was in my head a bit, and as I was continuing, a voice popped in, which said "would it have hurt to do the ladders as well?". Ah ha, a dilemma I thought - I said I'll just do exactly what I've been instructed... thinking it wasn't a situation where I'd need to use my initiative.

So later while I was doing just that, he came up & said "hang on now, look at this - Would it have hurt to do the ladders as well?". I replied with a strong "No, you instructed me to just do the ends". I stepped closer and repeated the exact same thing. I replied "for all I know, you've someone else on that - and I actually planned on asking about that when I'd finished the ends." It didn't end well. Was he just trying to be an asshole?

The next week, I was called up to talk to my official manager (not the 'ends' guy). I remember thinking on the way up "why would he want to talk to me?" Then I realised, "I'm being fired aren't I?", and what do ya know! They called me on lateness.

Curb Your Enthusiasm Registered User

Sorry to hear all this. You should try Lidl - even worse. Just horrible. The way these companies treat their employees is just disgraceful. Zero respect.

1 person has thanked this post

Curb Your Enthusiasm said:
Sorry to hear all this. You should try Lidl - even worse. Just horrible. The way these companies treat their employees is just disgraceful. Zero respect.
I hear supervalu aren't as bad!

Stonedpilot Registered User

Curb Your Enthusiasm said:

Really?. Knew someone who worked at Lidl said it was ok..

Lux23 Registered User

In my experience, a lot of managers in retail or maybe warehousing jobs are people that stayed in the jobs long enough to get offered a manager's position - lots of them aren't properly trained and seem to think a manager is someone who just throws their weight around or acts as close to a bully as possible. Years ago I had a job where all the supervisors/managers were lifers with a low level of education and they probably felt threatened by part-time students etc. so they acted like total w***ers towards us. The power trip they used to be on when doing a roster was hilarious. Always leaving holiday requests to the last minute. All of them were demoted or let go when the company went through a hard time in the recession.

4 people have thanked this post
EverythingGood Registered User

Stonedpilot said:
Really?. Knew someone who worked at Lidl said it was ok..

Wife worked in Lild as a deputy manager, money was great, hours horrendous but generally speaking was ok, Dunnes on the other hand are a shower of *****.

5 people have thanked this post
TallGlass Registered User

Dunnes are notorious for this stuff.

If I was you, get a notepad and starting writing down these incidents and witnesses, get a constructive dismissal case. When they get hit in the pocket, they'll soon change there attitudes.

Chris. Registered User

I worked in Dunnes for three months over the Christmas years ago while in school. To this day I have never come across managers as pig ignorant.

Absolutely full of their own self importance, they looked and spoke to you like you were **** on their shoes. Dunnes wanted to keep me on after the 3 months were up, I said thanks but no thanks.

If you have ever read anything about the woman who owns the company, you would understand exactly why the managers are the way they are. It comes from the top down.

1 person has thanked this post

TallGlass said:
Dunnes are notorious for this stuff.

If I was you, get a notepad and starting writing down these incidents and witnesses, get a constructive dismissal case. When they get hit in the pocket, they'll soon change there attitudes.
Don't be silly.

As a guy won over 9k in a settlement at the steps of the court, I know what fights are worth picking, and which ones just make you bitter and looking silly. I've learned a thing or two from it yes, but not gonna take someone to court every time I get called a name.

I actually mentioned some of this at the time of getting fired. He said he'd take it into account.. which likely means nothing, but never the less.

Chris. said:

If you have ever read anything about the woman who owns the company, you would understand exactly why the managers are the way they are. It comes from the top down.
But she doesn't have an official "treat em mean" policy! Is it like the child who's abused, and then abuses their own child. Would the managers I was dealing with get treated like **** at any meetings they'd have with higher managers?!

EverythingGood said:
Dunnes on the other hand are a shower of *****.
But does it work? for the company? Would Dunnes be making lesser profits if they weren't a**holes.

ZeroThreat Registered User

Chris. said:
I worked in Dunnes for three months over the Christmas years ago while in school. To this day I have never come across managers as pig ignorant.

Absolutely full of their own self importance, they looked and spoke to you like you were **** on their shoes. Dunnes wanted to keep me on after the 3 months were up, I said thanks but no thanks.

I remember some programme a number of years ago, Heffernan waffling on about how important her christian faith is to her and how it affects the way she lives on a day to day basis or something to that effect.

I guess she's trying to be the modern embodiment of William Martin Murphy - ie. fumble in the greasy till and and the halfpence to the pence and prayer to shivering prayer..

3 people have thanked this post
Ol' Donie Registered User

Worked in Dunnes about 15 years ago. Only place I ever worked where I was pulled aside to be told I had to let the supervisor know if I was going for a p*ss.

I've had many jobs over the years, that couple of months are the only ones I don't have a single good memory from.

Miose Registered User

I hope I'm not out of line in saying this. With the information you have given in your posts, I would find it difficult to hire you. Are some Dunnes Managers assholes? Undoubtedly. You will encounter assholes in every walk of life, in every job, it's how you deal with them that matters. If you have a chip on your shoulder, it is obvious, whether you like to believe it or not. If you want to hold on to your job, don't give them a valid reason to fire you!

Miose said:
With the information you have given in your posts, I would find it difficult to hire you.
Well of course! These would be a very stupid things to say in an interview... I wouldn't recommend it - they'd probably think I'd have a chip on me shoulder or something!
Miose said:
Are some Dunnes Managers assholes? Undoubtedly. You will encounter assholes in every walk of life, in every job, it's how you deal with them that matters.
Stating the obvious. The question here, is whether there's a higher frquency of assholes in Dunnes. Feel free to point out how you think I dealt with them badly.
Miose said:
If you have a chip on your shoulder, it is obvious, whether you like to believe it or not. If you want to hold on to your job, don't give them a valid reason to fire you!
I'm not entirely convinced with the way every other poster seems to disagree with you. The chip on your shoulder doesn't refute any point I made, nor does it add to the discussion any way.
Miose said:

If you want to hold on to your job, don't give them a valid reason to fire you!
Again, a vague unhelpful thing to say. Sorry but you haven't really added anything here.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!