Bredabe Registered User

I couldn't find an irish language thread that covered this,
we have a young woman called Aoife, is this pronounced afa or efa?
Everyone seems to have a different version and aoife rolls her eyes when asked for clarification.

Zzippy Moderator

Bredabe said:
Everyone seems to have a different version and aoife rolls her eyes when asked for clarification.

It's usually Eefa, but really, whatever she tells you her name is is how you should pronounce it.

Bredabe Registered User

Zzippy said:
It's usually Eefa, but really, whatever she tells you her name is is how you should pronounce it.

Where I grew up it was a rare name and pronounced afa(like it's spelled), and as she isn't enlightening us.............
I wonder if it's a dialect thing, efa-v-afa?

elefant Registered User

Bredabe said:
Where I grew up it was a rare name and pronounced afa(like it's spelled), and as she isn't enlightening us.............

I've never heard it pronounced like that.

It's pronounced Eefa.

1 person has thanked this post
Redhairedguy Registered User

Definitely think a dialect thing. I've friends from Donegal who pronounce the name Áine, which would be 'Awn-ya' to us, as Ann-ya or Enn-ya (sail away sail away sail away). Also, Róisín (Ro-sheen) as Rash-een.

2 people have thanked this post
AnGaelach Registered User

Bredabe said:

Aoi is an ee sound.

Redhairedguy Registered User

inisboffin Registered User

As Redhaired guy said, dialect could be at fault, particularly if she's from Donegal (no offence!)

I've never heard it pronounced any other way than 'eee-fah'
See this for a guide too

Bredabe Registered User

Redhairedguy said:
Definitely think a dialect thing. I've friends from Donegal who pronounce the name Áine, which would be 'Awn-ya' to us, as Ann-ya or Enn-ya (sail away sail away sail away). Also, Róisín (Ro-sheen) as Rash-een.

Another version from there is...Rosh een (the proud to be prod version, im told)

Bredabe Registered User

inisboffin said:
As Redhaired guy said, dialect could be at fault, particularly if she's from Donegal (no offence!)

I've never heard it pronounced any other way than 'eee-fah'
See this for a guide too

Im a dub, so I assume have dub irish, fairly sure I first heard it as afa.

biko Arbiter

Galway city -> Irish forum

Like inisboffin said, it's pronounced "ee-fah"

1 person has thanked this post
An gal gréine Registered User

Bredabe said:

All the Gaeltachtaí are at one on this Gaelic name, it's ee-fah.

Cathellen Registered User

Definitly pronounced ee-fa. Though 'as Gaeilge' more like e-o-fa

gaiscioch Registered User

Can we please produce evidence for the recurrent claim that certain 'dialects' pronounce 'Aoi' as 'Aay'? It's a particularly prevalent claim concerning the name Aoibheann, coming from people who want to pronounce the first syllable as an 'Aay' sound.

Here are the three dialects on Teanglann.ie pronouncing Aoi:

Aoi

Not one gives support to the Aay pronunciation for Aoibheann. Likewise with Aoife.

4 people have thanked this post

gaiscioch said:
Can we please produce evidence for the recurrent claim that certain 'dialects' pronounce 'Aoi' as 'Aay'? It's a particularly prevalent claim concerning the name Aoibheann, coming from people who want to pronounce the first syllable as an 'Aay' sound.

Here are the three dialects on Teanglann.ie pronouncing Aoi:

Aoi

Not one gives support to the Aay pronunciation for Aoibheann. Likewise with Aoife.

Never heard aoi pronounced any other way to be honest, nor Aoife.

Not sure where the 'aye' is coming from either..

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!