Luxxis Registered User

HI all,

am off work next week and thinking of doing the greenway, Looks complete on the maps and website but just wondering can anyone confirm.

thanks,

Wanderer78 Registered User

ive only cyclied the section from kilmacthomas to clonea and it is complete, but im hearing there are issues for a couple of kilometers just after the train station at kilmeaden with surfacing, its apparently a little rough but passable. this info may also be a little out of date, so it could all be fine now.

1 person has thanked this post
Pinch Flat Registered User

Cycled from carraiganore to kilmacthomas, it's grand. Could be a bit better in places, did it on a road bike with 23mm gatorskins no issues

2 people have thanked this post
Quigs Snr Registered User

It's complete. From Waterford it's packed stone from about 5k before and after kilmeaden station... passable though. 25 or 28 tyres at lower pressures if you want to be comfortable. But you'll be fine on anything if you are able to handle a bike at all.

iwillhtfu Registered User

Yep all complete I did Waterford -Dungarvan - Waterford a few weeks ago.

You're right to do it mid week I wouldn't be bothered on the bike at the weekend as to many bodies/dogs etc.

The Waterford side surface is great for first 5km presumably this was the section used by some councillors for the opening. After that it's a mixed bag till about 16km. Some patches of loose gravel.

I said it on a previous thread but they used a coarser stone on the Waterford side and as such it's a bit lumpier and the thoughts of falling on to it are a tad horrifying.

A great spin though and a nice coffee stop in either the train station or the bigger one further down.

If you don't have one on your bike pick up a cheap bell or rob one off the kids bike you will use it. A lot of people are out for a rambling stroll and as such aren't expecting bikes.

I did it on 23mm continental grandprix tyres slightly tougher than the 4000sii and no issues. Pinched a whole bundle of stones on the waterford side though so it could easily happen so bring spares.

Enjoy

dermabrasion Registered User

I did it a couple of weeks ago with the kids and we all loved it. We had lunch in a pub in Dungarvan. I asked the owner how business was since the Greenway opened, and she said that it had ramped up hugely. She had to open earlier, took on more staff, and was basically busy all day.
This type of thing is a no-brainer. The Galway nay-sayers are mad to impede this type of initiative.

9 people have thanked this post
baldbear Registered User

Could anyone advise which is the best section to cycle with a young child? (A 1 yr old) Something flat and not too tough. We are thinking of doing a max of 20km.

Thanks.

Feckofff Registered User

dermabrasion said:
I did it a couple of weeks ago with the kids and we all loved it. We had lunch in a pub in Dungarvan. I asked the owner how business was since the Greenway opened, and she said that it had ramped up hugely. She had to open earlier, took on more staff, and was basically busy all day.
This type of thing is a no-brainer. The Galway nay-sayers are mad to impede this type of initiative.

I'll just leave this here (it's about wexford greenway)

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057000952/1

Some times people are their own worst enemy!

Wanderer78 Registered User

baldbear
Could anyone advise which is the best section to cycle with a young child? Something flat and not too tough. We are thinking of doing a max of 20km.

I personally would recommend kilmac to clonea/dungarvan, I think it's the best section for scenery to. There's small inclines here and there, but we done it with 4 kids ranging from 3 - 13 with no issues only tiredness after completion. There's rest areas along the way with a small play ground roughly half way on that section

iwillhtfu Registered User

Judgement
NO!

Taken from the original thread posted. It's flutes like this I hope are eating humble pie one day.

How anyone can see a negative to a green way is beyond me. Those that do are presumably typical land grabbing farmers that have had their eye on or have already taken the land.

Now I think of it I do recall one such farmer with tractor trailer and jeep parked on the Waterford greenway when I was on it.

Was there ever any consideraton for a campsite along the route it strikes me as a nice route to head out for a leisurely spin with kids and perhaps an introduction to camping. Probably more suited to the Dungarvan side with beaches etc.

TheBlaaMan Registered User

baldbear said:
Could anyone advise which is the best section to cycle with a young child? (A 1 yr old) Something flat and not too tough. We are thinking of doing a max of 20km.

Thanks.

Park at Shannacool (52.129115, -7.506241) and walk a few KM east and then back west (or vice versa) from here. Basic refreshments in O'Mahoneys pub and the Ballyvoile Tunnel and Viaducts to keep everyone interested.

More here http://www.visitwaterfordgreenway.com/

EDIT: whoops....I read walking , rather than cycling. No matter, same basic advice still applies...

sleepyholland Registered User

If you're planning on cycling 20km Dungarvan to O'Mahoneys pub just after the Ballyvoile tunnel is a nice out-and-back. Perfectly smooth surface, takes in lots of the highlights in terms of interest and scenery and has refreshment/toilet facilities ar both ends.

TheBlaaMan said:
Park at Shannacool (52.129115, -7.506241) and walk a few KM east and then back west (or vice versa) from here. Basic refreshments in O'Mahoneys pub and the Ballyvoile Tunnel and Viaducts to keep everyone interested.

More here http://www.visitwaterfordgreenway.com/

2 people have thanked this post
ford2600 Registered User

While I've no doubt the odd farmer or two can be extremely awkward and irrational the redevelopment of unused railway lines brings up real issue for farmers.

The land itself is pretty useless and the railway line had effectively split land parcels along its length. As farming practices have changed beyond recognition since the line closed issues have arisen
*disease control with public/dogs passing through the middle of farms (council had tried to use gates for dairy herds crossing greeny rather than underpasses/bridges) Some food scheme with dairies/meat factories have strict requirements in terms of disease control and greenways present issues
*with potential conflict between walkers/cyclist and dairy herds insurance cost/liability etc
*farmers had upgraded their own bridges over the years to carry heavier machinery/milk tanks etc which caused issues.

Most farmers engaged with council and had everything sorted in a sensible manner. I don't think any of them wanted to be the cnut putting toddlers/pensioners out on a busy regional road while passing their farm. But like Westport and Tayto there is always one.

It has been a brilliant addition to Dungarvan in terms of visitors and locals.

rob w Registered User

Was down there last week and did it from Dungarvan to Waterford and back on a road bike with 23mm tires, no problems at all but just a bit bumpy towards the Waterford side as said by others. Don't let that put you off though, well worth it.

I started at about 4pm, and it was great....very quiet, had massive stretches of it to myself! Could have done with a bell though, as came a cross a few people on bikes/walking in the same direction and they don't see/hear you coming - until you roll slowly up behind and startle them with an 'excuse me'!!

moonboy52 Registered User

It is so relaxing on the Greenway.

Having no cars to deal with is so nice.

A bell is essential as many people do not stay on the left.

I wouldn't do it at the weekend.

Monday to Friday, you basically have it to yourself

4 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!