Inviere Registered User
#1

Anyone ever hear of this MSU-1 thingy? Basically, the creator of Bsnes/Higan created this "Media Streaming Unit", or MSU, which...

"allows the SNES to have 4 GB of storage space and CD quality Stereo Audio. It can be used for every SNES games, but is so far only emulated by bsnes, and supported by future SNES flashcart, sd2snes."

http://www.smwiki.net/wiki/MSU1

It seems to me, that this could have been what the Snes CD would have given us. While not exactly authentic, it's still interesting to see how cd quality music can affect, change, alter, and potentially even enhance the games we all know & love. It works on real hardware via the SD2Snes, and obviously in Bsnes too. Check it out:

1 person has thanked this post
CiDeRmAn Category Moderator
#2

Very good.

Only question is....

How much do you change a Snes game before it ceases to be a Snes game?

Say the next innovation was in the visuals, and after that the controls, does it become a Triggers Sweeping Brush scenario?

That said, the enhancements give a glimpse into what the CD unit was, indeed, probably going to bring to the Super Nintendo format.
I'm not sure history would have played out quite the way it did, without Sony and, later, Microsoft changing the face of gaming, with first Sega and later Nintendo losing their leading positions.

Certainly, we would probably never have had an N64, and the joys that system brought.
If they'd have moved earlier to CD based media, Square would have stayed on board, who knows if Sony would have ever struck out on their own.

Inviere Registered User
#3

CiDeRmAn said:
That said, the enhancements give a glimpse into what the CD unit was, indeed, probably going to bring to the Super Nintendo format.


That's pretty much how I see it, & even then, it's only a "what if" scenario. I'm not normally into rom hacks or things like that, but this does have a certain technical appeal. The Super Metroid one is very interesting, the music changes the mood & atmosphere a lot...it's very cinematic! Again, nothing can replace the existing material, though these are interesting primarily because they could have been actually possible...

Steve X2 Moderator
#4

I'm not a huge fan of the video content that gets added. But the cd audio added to some games is totally worth it.

It does add up to a fair amount per rom though.

Retr0gamer Category Moderator
#5

There's a really impressive conversion of road avenger for msu.

80s Synth Pop Registered User
#6

MSU is a homebrew creation. I think the SNES CD prototype is of what could have been released. Since the prototype SNES CD bios was dumped I wonder in the future if there may be SNES CD conversions of the MSU games or if that is even possible?

KeRbDoG Registered User
#7

80s Synth Pop said:
MSU is a homebrew creation. I think the SNES CD prototype is of what could have been released. Since the prototype SNES CD bios was dumped I wonder in the future if there may be SNES CD conversions of the MSU games or if that is even possible?


Who knows, but then there would be only one hardware SNES/PlayStation that could play it

Steve X2 Moderator
#8

KeRbDoG said:
Who knows, but then there would be only one hardware SNES/PlayStation that could play it


The MSU-1 roms/folders run fine on the SD2SNES. So at least the can be played on real hardware that way.

KeRbDoG Registered User
#9

Steve X2 said:
The MSU-1 roms/folders run fine on the SD2SNES. So at least the can be played on real hardware that way.


I believe 80s Synth Pop was asking if the MSU-1'd ROMs could be ported to the SNES CD, hence my response - limited customer base of just one machine that is known

1 person has thanked this post
Steve X2 Moderator
#10

KeRbDoG said:
I believe 80s Synth Pop was asking if the MSU-1'd ROMs could be ported to the SNES CD, hence my response - limited customer base of just one machine that is known


Ah, I get ya.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!