bnt Registered User

News report with more details here: it starts 2PM at the Grand Canal Square.
I'm tempted to go along with a sign that says "DOUN WIV SHKOOL" or "I Have No Idea What I'm Doing Here".

That report makes it sound a bit like it's about Climate Change in particular, which it's not - though they are connected, of course. Anyone else up for this?

1 person has thanked this post
riffmongous Moderator

Most of my colleagues, academics, are planning to go to the one where I live.. not sure I'll go myself, not quite certain what it can achieve. Would I take a job in the US in environmental science at the moment though? No, heard nothing good from there since Trump took over, lots of uncertainty and negativity over funding and research directions

It this another march just for slagging of Trump again?

11 people have thanked this post
GLaDOS Testing

I probably should be, but I have to confess I'm pretty ignorant as to the aims of the march

biko Arbiter

The global scientific community has come together to agree that on 22 April, the same as Earth Day, there will be a March for Science to protest against potential threats from US president Donald Trump.

Sounds less like a march for science than a march against Trump

I might go.

conorhal Registered User

biko said:
Sounds less like a march for science than a march against Trump.

You can turn it into an antiTrump march if you like, but way to undermine it's purpose!

Many a good idea these days gets hijacked by the usual loons and people are then too afraid to challenge them. The Washington march for science cause quite a bit of controversy after is descended into intersectional political infighting about how lacking in diversity or failing to address LGBTQ issues the march.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/apr/10/bill-nyes-march-for-science-role-helps-stir-politi/

Zuleyka Zevallos, a sociologist and adjunct research fellow with Swinburne University in Melbourne, Australia, chronicled the march’s heated back-and-forth over diversity, which included four rewritten diversity statements as organizers reacted to criticism from both sides.

In a Jan. 28 tweet, the March for Science posted a tweet saying “colonization, racism, immigration, native rights, sexism, ableism, queer-, trans-, intersex-phobia, & econ justice are scientific issues,†but later removed it, Ms. Zevallos reported.

Among those who criticized the post was Harvard professor Steven Pinker, who accused organizers of compromising its goals with “anti-science PC/identity politics/hard-left rhetoric.â€
“The constant flip-flops on its diversity stance suggest that, at best, the organizers are undecided or lack the skills on how to manage inclusion issues,†Ms. Zevallos said in a March 14 post on Latino Rebels. “At worst, it gives the unfortunate impression that they have a wavering commitment to diversity, one which bends to the shifts of public pressure.â€
At the heart of the debate is that organizers are conflating science, which is a method, with a host of public policy issues, said Mr. Smith.
“The problem now is that many who claim to be about science are really about social policy and ideology,†he said, “which are not the same things at all.â€

3 people have thanked this post
bnt Registered User

biko said:
Sounds less like a march for science than a march against Trump

Maybe Trump and those he's appointed, as well as the Congress that approved the appointments. Such as the new chief of the Environmental Protection gency, Scott Pruitt, who doesn't believe CO₂ levels contribute to global warming.

It's not just about global warming - we're talking about an apparent anti-science attitude that favours certain big industries such as oil and coal, regardless of what he actually believes, and there are many such others in the new administration.

biko Arbiter

I can see how US scientists may be affected by a change in the government administration.
So what are scientists in Ireland marching for? Support with their US peers in case Trump turn out to defund them?

If this gets hijacked by climate lobby then you will split this down along those lines and tbh you will risk to make science political.

This is one person's reasons
https://sciencemarchie.wordpress.com/2017/04/13/why-i-am-marching-caitriona-buggle/

So what is at stake if the current political trend of condemning science and scientific evidence continues?
To prevent this from ever happening we must all unite to support and celebrate science as a focal point within our societies and cultures.

In my humble opinion there is zero threat against science in Europe.
The threat against science in America is from the Christian loonies so for me it would be better with a March for Science and Reason against religion.

This is my I may go, to show my support with science over religious nuts.

bnt Registered User

Oh, I hope the identity politics / social justice crowd don't muscle in on this march. It's supposed to be about science, innit?

The_Valeyard Registered User

biko said:

The threat against science in America is from the Christian loonies so for me it would be better with a March for Science and Reason against religion.

So why March in Europe where quite often religion and science go hand in hand.

2 people have thanked this post
riffmongous Moderator

biko said:
I can see how US scientists may be affected by a change in the government administration.
So what are scientists in Ireland marching for? Support with their US peers in case Trump turn out to defund them?

If this gets hijacked by climate lobby then you will split this down along those lines and tbh you will risk to make science political.

This is one person's reasons
https://sciencemarchie.wordpress.com/2017/04/13/why-i-am-marching-caitriona-buggle/

In my humble opinion there is zero threat against science in Europe.

The science community is based on internationalism though, and the US is at the moment probably the best and biggest country in the world for science, any changes that affect that will have a knock-on effect on the rest of the community

Your Face Registered User

My colleagues and I are marching to represent the Eugenics Society of Ireland.

Hande hoche! Registered User

Wonder which part of the march Antifa will attack?

YFlyer Registered User

Laboratory technicians can stay on campus.

Buttonftw Registered User

10 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!