carrighead Registered User

Hi, I was thinking of starting to offer private sewing lessons to teenagers and adults in either their home or mine. Do you think there would be any market for this? My day job was tutoring computers and literacy to people with an intellectual disability so I feel that I would be able to do the teaching side. But I'm not so sure about tax, insurance and what to charge. How do I go about this?

flatty Registered User

I would have thought that classes could well be popular enough. Not so sure about private tuition,unless it had a "make your own wedding dress/ballgown/whatever" angle. I'd imagine there may be interest in that.

1 person has thanked this post

That's very interesting, I like the idea of there being an angle, something that could potentially set me apart from the group classes, thank you

baldtooyoung Registered User

It may not take off but I think something along the lines like,teaching work men to fix new zips,sowing holds in the in-between the legs bit and fixing the ends of trousers would be good.
I know myself I feel robbed getting work gear sown and buttons put in blazers.it can be dear for what it is.

For the record I know nothing about the needle and thread!haha.might be a good idea though,I know a few fellas who would go and learn.

sareer Registered User

My first thought is if you will also provide a sewing machine to each student for the class. E.g. I would love to learn but don't own one and would take a set of classes before buying one altogether - many may go the same route. 
As with everything it would probably depend on pricing and how you plan to advertise it. I hope you can make it work

BetsyEllen Registered User

I know a lady that offers crochet lessons in her own home.
Everyone meets there on a certain night, pays her fee and she provides tea/coffee whilst everyone sits around crocheting; she helps everyone individually with different projects and teaches total beginners too.

It's great and hugely popular.

If you have the room could you offer something similar?
Set up some tables with extension leads for the machines to be plugged into, you may be able to fit in a few people at once.

I think you'd have more luck with that than you would with one on one lessons

I done a sewing course a few years back, I paid €180 for a 6 week course including materials and there were about 12 of us in the class.
We made a cushion and an apron over that time (it was for beginners who had never used a machine before)
The machines were provided.

I hope it works out for you, good luck!

2 people have thanked this post

thanks everyone for the great ideas, I'm going to go for it but I want to do it right as I don't want to ruin my reputation/name. lots of work ahead

2 people have thanked this post
pmrc Registered User

carrighead said:
Hi, I was thinking of starting to offer private sewing lessons to teenagers and adults in either their home or mine. Do you think there would be any market for this? My day job was tutoring computers and literacy to people with an intellectual disability so I feel that I would be able to do the teaching side. But I'm not so sure about tax, insurance and what to charge. How do I go about this?

Hi
I hope you do not mind me asking this as its totally off topic but how did you go about becomming a literacy tutor to individual with an intellectual disability?
Thanks

liselle81 Registered User

I would theoretically be very interesting in sewing classes depending on the price anyway :-)

Regarding the legal side of things, I'd recommend calling in to Citizen's Information or even just having a look at their website for infomation on what you'd have to do

manonboard Registered User

Id be interested too. I have clothes that break, and i'd love to be able to alter some shirts to fit better too. It seems simple enough to learn the basics if shown correctly.
Working professional man, who regularly needs little bits down but never makes it to a tailor!

Milly33 Registered User

It is a great idea! As one who would love to have a masterclass in using a sewing machine.. If you want to do a freebie or a one off to get some feed back id be all up for it.. It is really difficult to learn how to use the machines or get he basic sowing skills and other than the course they have in the 2nd schools that seems to be all that is out there.

stop animal cruelty Registered User

I would love this! Keep us updated op

beauf Registered User

I think its a good idea. Teach cubs and scouts how to sew their badges on. Do session with the local scouts and cubs.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!