murphyebass Registered User

Ok I know this won't go down well in these parts but I don't own a crt and won't own a crt. Two reasons no room and missus already thinks I have enough crap clogging up the joint which she's probably not wrong about.

So is there a cable I can get to go into a hdmi to run my mega drive off.

I feel bad. I bought this off one of you guys years ago and it's sitting in the attic unplayed.

I know the telly/PC monitor won't be ideal but it's better than nothing

BrownFinger Registered User

get out

3 people have thanked this post
Paleblood Registered User

I plugged mine straight into the 'aerial' connection on the back of my Samsung and then just tuned it in. It looked fine for my purposes. I just wanted to briefly revisit the games.

BrownFinger said:
get out

I deserved that. :-(

1 person has thanked this post

Paleblood said:
I plugged mine straight into the 'aerial' connection on the back of my Samsung and then just tuned it in. It looked fine for my purposes.

Defiantly not one on my PC monitor I and I doubt there's one on my lg telly but could be wrong. I doubt it looks anyway decent though?

murphyebass said:
I deserved that. :-(

All credit to the retro scene for getting under the hood and keeping those consoles alive, but the games are there to be played, not obsessed over. My first Master System was only ever played on my grandad's b&w TV and I loved every minute. Connect up the Mega Drive in any way you can and just enjoy it.

2 people have thanked this post
BrownFinger Registered User

Problem with the flatscreens is not the picture.
Its the post processing and upscalers that introduce lag.
Some TVs are better than others of course.

murphyebass said:
Defiantly not one on my PC monitor I and I doubt there's one on my lg telly but could be wrong. I doubt it looks anyway decent though?

Honesty, I was surprised by it. The colours popped, possibly to an unnatural degree, but I was happpy with it. But I was just having a brief knockaround. I have the same Mega Drive since I was 11 years old, along with a ton of games. I just want to plug it in occasionally and keep my memories of it alive.

Retr0gamer Category Moderator

It's more ignorance is bliss. A Megadrive through the rf aerial is going to look god awful but if you've not seen the same through proper rgb you will think it's fine.

I should say that I also picked up an RGB cable for my PS2 recently, and hooked it up to a rather fabulous Sony CRT that my landlord/uncle left behind. I couldn't believe the difference. Pro Evo 6 looked much more muted, but ultimately a lot deeper. Resident Evil 4 looked fantastic. All of those years playing the PS2 and I'm only now just seeing it in it's proper light! I guess I owe it to my Mega Drive to give it the same attention.

Retr0gamer said:
It's more ignorance is bliss. A Megadrive through the rf aerial is going to look god awful but if you've not seen the same through proper rgb you will think it's fine.

Well, exactly. No complaints there.

Sorry ok I kinda knew it would go this way and each to their own lads but can someone recommend a cable I can use to get the best possible picture for my telly or even better on my PC monitor as that's where I do the bulk of my gaming these days.

eddhorse Registered User

eddhorse said:

A JPEG in 2017.

Yeah, you really showed him alright.

CiDeRmAn Category Moderator

The difference is stunning though, well worth the minor investment in a set of RGB cables, the console may become less of an occasional treat and more of a go to console as a result!

Also consider getting it modified, there's some nice switchless mods out there that will incur no outward alterations to your console but will result in better, full screen games running at full speed.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!