mr spuckler Registered User

CramCycle said:
I got some shake with the handlebar mount but not terrible. The Helmet mount was always much smoother though.

you mentioned having a contour roam? i definitely got more shake with the handlebar mount on that vs the helmet mount.

07Lapierre Registered User

CramCycle said:
I got some shake with the handlebar mount but not terrible. The Helmet mount was always much smoother though.

Smooth road also helps.. here's two cameras.(GoPro hero2 and session). one on handlebars, the other is under the saddle

https://youtu.be/BrP5W9pAHAE

1 person has thanked this post
CramCycle A wholly unreasonable man

mr spuckler said:
you mentioned having a contour roam? i definitely got more shake with the handlebar mount on that vs the helmet mount.

+1 I made a steadier camera mount than their own that helped with the handlebar mount but the roads here are often too rough regardless.

Unknown Soldier Registered User

A helmet cam is generally better than a rigid mounted one depending on the road/surface.

That does not mean to say that the video of a rigid mounted camera will be crap!

The road surface coming down off mount Leinster is not great. There are a few cattle grids too....

https://youtu.be/JbqU2Apd5_s

2 people have thanked this post
Annie get your Run Registered User

07Lapierre said:
The road surface coming down off mount Leinster is not great. There are a few cattle grids too....

https://youtu.be/JbqU2Apd5_s

Couple of close passes there at high speed That decent takes skill I don't think I"ll ever have, I'd undoubtedly come off the bike if I tried that...

Annie get your Run said:
Couple of close passes there at high speed That decent takes skill I don't think I"ll ever have, I'd undoubtedly come off the bike if I tried that...

Skill? Nah....don't tell anyone,but I only went that fast because I was so scared, I couldn't let go of the bars to pull the brakes!

3 people have thanked this post
Danbo! Registered User

Some info I put on the near miss thread a while back below

In short, contour roam is great, I had a poor experience with the drift stealth but plenty of reviews say otherwise, so it was likely a dud, and I love the gopro session if you can get over the price..

Basically if someone makes a camera with the form factor/weight of the stealth, the big switch/battery of the roam, and the quality/stabilisation of the gopro, they'll be minted

+1 for the Roam - price/quality/size/shape are all great as a helmet cam.

Used the roam for 2.5 years and it was great. A little heavy on the helmet, but battery life was 3+ hours and it's easy on/off switch was amazing. No faffing about taking it off mount or taking helmet off to double check it.

I recently "upgraded" to the Drift Stealth 2. It's smaller and lighter than the roam, but I found it awful. Very unreliable, extremely noisy image quality in even slightly dull light. Shame, as it's a nice form factor.

Ended up returning the Stealth and biting the bullet, bought a go pro hero 5 session. It's pricey, but the quality and stabilisation is insanely good. When it's mounted on the bars, it doesnt move an inch, but when I review the footage you can see the handlebar hoods moving all around and in and out of the image, all thanks to the stabilisation. Battery life is poor though, just over an hour, but it's enough to get me in and out of town, then charge overnight.

Danbo! Registered User

SteM said:
I have a fly 6 and fly 12.

I'm considering a fly6, how you finding it?

SteM said:
The thing about having a mounted helmet camera is, if you're looking over your right shoulder to check for traffic and a car pulls out from a drive or side road on the left you'll probably miss the collision.

I flip between bars and helmet, theres pros and cons to both - generally I think recording where you are looking is a bit better, but the situation above is where you may miss out.

brianomc Registered User

The GoPro Fusion may well be a game changer, no need to worry about missing something by turning your head. 360 all the way, I can't see it being cheap though.

https://youtu.be/PygsKZXpYrI

Another vote here for the Fly6 as a rear camera/light, I have the original one but the newer version is even smaller with a better battery life.

I had the virb mounted on my handlebars but a poor battery life and having to manually delete files instead of the device just recording over the oldest video meant I kept finding that it wasnt recording and I just couldnt be bothered with it anymore.

tvercetti Registered User

Any trusted sellers have the Drift Stealth 2 at the moment or any idea when it might be available again? Seems to be sold out everywhere!

Chuchote Registered User

I have a Mobius, but it has its own mind; sometimes it feels like recording and sometimes it doesn't.

I want what Citizen Wolf has for his joyful films of his journeys to work (I hope his work is as much fun)

Macy0161 Registered User

SteM said:
I have a fly 6 and fly 12.

How are they as lights - good enough for rural nighttime use, particularly the fly 12? Is it good enough for a "see" or is just a "be seen" light?

A big step up of too close for comfort (not quite near miss territory) on the saturday spin, and the battery life of the fly lights really makes them an option for the longer spins!

mr spuckler Registered User

Macy0161 said:
How are they as lights - good enough for rural nighttime use, particularly the fly 12? Is it good enough for a "see" or is just a "be seen" light?

A big step up of too close for comfort (not quite near miss territory) on the saturday spin, and the battery life of the fly lights really makes them an option for the longer spins!

i only have the rear light but find it excellent all round. much better battery life than my drift stealth on the front and works really well as a light too. you can change the mode on the light to extend battery life but tbh even as a standalone light i'd recommend it.

SteM Registered User

Macy0161 said:

The Fly 12 is a great light. 3 brightness settings on solid, the same on flashing, I think there's a pulse setting too. Also, you can record with the light off in the summer to conserve battery if you want. The highest solid setting would easily light up a road in darkness, medium setting probably would too to be honest.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!