detones Registered User

Looking for suggestions on a helmet mounted camera. Far too many run ins on my commute. Looking for a camera that's not too bulky, the gopros etc seem huge and look horrendous. Is there anything about the size of a small front light? Would consider bike mounted but that obviously restricts the field of vision.

cython Registered User

detones said:
Looking for suggestions on a helmet mounted camera. Far too many run ins on my commute. Looking for a camera that's not too bulky, the gopros etc seem huge and look horrendous. Is there anything about the size of a small front light? Would consider bike mounted but that obviously restricts the field of vision.

If you don't like the bulkiness you describe, it may simply be the form-factor of the GoPros, in which case you may be better looking for one of the "bullet" shaped options, of which there are many. While I own and have used none of these, I've seen all the below mentioned on here at different times so might be good places to start your research:
  • Garmin Virb/Virb Elite (as distinct from the X/XE/Ultra which are GoPro shaped). These are relatively old models now and as such may be limited availability, though you might find a second hand market.
  • TomTom Bandit
  • Contour Roam
  • Drift Stealth

1 person has thanked this post
Weepsie Registered User

Garmin Virb is heavy yoke however. Drift Stealth is small. The Shimano CM-1000 is a brilliant little camera. I lost mine coming down the Sally Gap last week, so could be a free one available if you look really hard!

Rogue-Trooper Registered User

I have a Drift Stealth II mounted under my Garmin on an out-front mount. Captures everything, is very light, discreet, relatively cheap and battery gives me about 3 hours of record time. Also does the 'loop recording' thing so I don't have to worry about deleting files. Mounted there, the field of vision is not an issue.

I'm also rocking a Fly 6 on the back which is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

3 people have thanked this post
detones Registered User

Rogue-Trooper said:
I have a Drift Stealth II mounted under my Garmin on an out-front mount. Captures everything, is very light, discreet, relatively cheap and battery gives me about 3 hours of record time. Also does the 'loop recording' thing so I don't have to worry about deleting files. Mounted there, the field of vision is not an issue.

I'm also rocking a Fly 6 on the back which is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Thanks for that the Fly 12 looks an interesting prospect too for front mount.

mr spuckler Registered User

Rogue-Trooper said:

does that mount under the standard garmin out front mount or does it require a custom one?

i have an oldish contour roam currently mounted to the handlebars but the lack of loop record functionality is really pissing me off. i also have the cycliq fly 6 on the back and agree it's superb! it's handy that you can also use it on an aero seatpost.

edit...i see a k-edge mount on the drift website that's currently sold out

detones said:
Thanks for that the Fly 12 looks an interesting prospect too for front mount.

The Fly 12 is a great bit of kit but the price put me off! I also believe it's quite heavy (if that's a consideration for you).

mr spuckler said:
does that mount under the standard garmin out front mount or does it require a custom one?

It relaces the Garmin mount altogether. The Garmin sits in on top as usual and there is a GoPro-type 3-fin jobbie underneath. The Drift Stealth II has a standard threaded tripod-type attachment on it so I just picked up an adaptor for a couple of Euro on Ebay to attach it underneath.

Simples.

Rogue-Trooper said:
It relaces the Garmin mount altogether. The Garmin sits in on top as usual and there is a GoPro-type 3-fin jobbie underneath. The Drift Stealth II has a standard threaded tripod-type attachment on it so I just picked up an adaptor for a couple of Euro on Ebay to attach it underneath.

Simples.

would you have a link to an example? there's one on amazon for £60

greenspurs Registered User

I use a garmin virb.
Excellent quality , good battery, and easy to use/download/edit any vids you make.
Can be put on helmet, or can be mounted on bars.

I would recommend ...

mr spuckler said:
would you have a link to an example? there's one on amazon for £60

There is a link in my first post to the mount. It's the Cycliq one but I've just noticed it's not available at the moment on their site. I got it on Kickstarter when they launched it last year. They are expensive but very well made and rock solid so there is no camera shake (other than that caused by our poor roads!).

Sigma Sport seem to have it in stock for €74 plus delivery which is the reseller on Amazon anyway.

Alanstrainor Moderator

I have a contour roam2, but it's quite old now so I wouldn't recommend you buy given how much camera tech has moved on in the last number of years.

I used to wear it on my helmet and have recently moved it to the bars. I think I prefer it on the handle bars tbh, better footage for the most part and a bit more discreet.

If you're going to mount on the bars a Xiaomi Yi action camera is a good option. Very good (2k) footage and since it mounts like a GoPro there's tonnes of accessories available. Added bonus is that it is quite cheap now too.

Rogue-Trooper said:
There is a link in my first post to the mount. It's the Cycliq one but I've just noticed it's not available at the moment on their site. I got it on Kickstarter when they launched it last year. They are expensive but very well made and rock solid so there is no camera shake (other than that caused by our poor roads!).

Sigma Sport seem to have it in stock for €74 plus delivery which is the reseller on Amazon anyway.

thanks and sorry OP for the tangent. found this on wiggle which unless i'm mistaken this should do the job, with the adaptor you mentioned.

thanks again.

mr spuckler said:
thanks and sorry OP for the tangent. found this on wiggle which unless i'm mistaken this should do the job, with the adaptor you mentioned.

thanks again.

Yep, that will do the job too.

The adaptor I got was this one.

Annie get your Run Registered User

I like the look of that Drift Stealth II, not overly expensive either.

What is the general consensus here, is it more important to have a front or rear camera? I think I'd be inclined to mount this on my helmet so it sees what I see? I don't know what 'loop recording' is but sounds like something that's good to have...

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!