rayquinn1 Registered User

The second edition of the Kilmessan GP, promoted by Skane Wheelers CC, takes place next Sunday the 26th of March in Kilmessan, Co. Meath.
A challenging 19km route with someone to suit everyone!
Sign-on opens at 8:30am in FP Maguires pub in Kilmessan village with underage racing starting at 9:30am and senior racing starting at 11:00am.

Strava link to route
https://www.strava.com/routes/4284808

More details to be found on Skane Wheelers Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/Kilmessancyclingclub

3 people have thanked this post
Miklos Registered User

Will the senior racing be run incrementally from 11? So A4 would be setting off around 11.15?

Cheers.

rayquinn1 Registered User

Thats right - senior races will start incrementally from 11am, with the A4's being the last out.

1 person has thanked this post
boysinblack Registered User

Anyone racing Sunday? Course meant to be lumpy enough?

Sarz91 Registered User

boysinblack said:
Anyone racing Sunday? Course meant to be lumpy enough?

Yeah supposed to be. Seems the course is pretty lumpy enough but nothing major. Mostly drags I think aside from the finish which is about 5-6% for 3 or so minutes, can't remember the distance. With the being mother's day I may have an issue.

The left before the finish looks tight enough and with the quarry just up the road it may make for a pretty sketchy finish.

Beasty Administrator

Threads merged

jimm Registered User

The junction in Dunsany should be interesting with the IVCA race coming into it from the Dunshaughlin direction . Thankfully, it's a little offset so not a true crossroads. Cooperation required from both sets of marshals.

Raymzor Registered User

Sarz91 said:
Yeah supposed to be. Seems the course is pretty lumpy enough but nothing major. Mostly drags I think aside from the finish which is about 5-6% for 3 or so minutes, can't remember the distance. With the being mother's day I may have an issue.

The left before the finish looks tight enough and with the quarry just up the road it may make for a pretty sketchy finish.

I did this race last year. It was very safe. The last turn is far enough from the finish its not an issue. The race was decided with a very tough uphill sprint.

Raymzor Registered User

jimm said:
The junction in Dunsany should be interesting with the IVCA race coming into it from the Dunshaughlin direction . Thankfully, it's a little offset so not a true crossroads. Cooperation required from both sets of marshals.

You are correct that the two junctions are staggered. the races will not cross paths. the vets race starts at 9am.

Sarz91 Registered User

Good race today. A lot of crashes within the first few kms of the A4 race with some serious looking injuries. The ambulance was more or less there for the entire race. Hope everyone's alright.

Was in the break and stayed away with two others until the last 100 or so meters. Managed to hang on and only got pipped at the line by a pretty small margin for first place.

7 people have thanked this post
happyhappy Registered User

Sarz91 said:
Good race today. A lot of crashes within the first few kms of the A4 race with some serious looking injuries. The ambulance was more or less there for the entire race. Hope everyone's alright.

Was in the break and stayed away with two others until the last 100 or so meters. Managed to hang on and only got pipped at the line by a pretty small margin for first place.

Congrats on the result, am I right saying you are upgraded?? I missed today and to be honest I'm half glad. Any idea what caused all the crashes? A club mate who raced today said he thinks it was incoming traffic approaching the race that squeezed the bunch and caused some of the crashes. He didn't see any motos with the bunch but isn't sure.

Sarz91 Registered User

happyhappy said:
Congrats on the result, am I right saying you are upgraded?? I missed today and to be honest I'm half glad. Any idea what caused all the crashes? A club mate who raced today said he thinks it was incoming traffic approaching the race that squeezed the bunch and caused some of the crashes. He didn't see any motos with the bunch but isn't sure.

No one was calling out obstacles or vehicles up the front of the bunch so some lads only saw the obstacle last second. I don't know what happened the first crash I just say a UCD rider down in the middle of the road.

The main crash, in which close to half the field was involved (not everyone came down but you know what I mean) was due to an oncoming car. Nothing to do with the driver or anything like that. Nothing was called out, some lads say it last second and tried to squeeze where there was no room. Ended in a massive pileup with some grim injuries from what I heard. Some lad ended up with a dislocated elbow apparently. Just about managed to avoid the crash myself and had to chase on for a bit.

There apparently was another up the climb to the finish on the second lap. I was in the break and didn't see it but I think it was a touch of wheels and a few lads went down.

There was Moto Marshall ahead and at intermittent stages a Marshall would shoot by us so I don't think it had anything to do with that. I think it was the number of riders. With one day licenses still available couples with the good weather it seemed as if everyone was out.

2 people have thanked this post
sullzz Registered User

Joke of a race ..... messy bunch , i got caught behind the 3rd crash on the hill , a lad got out of his saddle and changed gears while throwing his bike back into the riders behind , my race was over then as i burned too many matches earlier on chasing back on after the other crashes .
Well done on your 2nd place and upgrade Sarz91 , nice to chat during the race .

2 people have thanked this post
Sarz91 Registered User

sullzz said:
Joke of a race ..... messy bunch , i got caught behind the 3rd crash on the hill , a lad got out of his saddle and changed gears while throwing his bike back into the riders behind , my race was over then as i burned too many matches earlier on chasing back on after the other crashes .
Well done on your 2nd place and upgrade Sarz91 , nice to chat during the race .

Sorry to hear about your race. We were just chatting about staying rubber side up when the crash took place. I'll know to keep my mouth shut next time. Did the lad from Lucan you were riding for get the point he needed? Tried getting something going with him earlier in the day but got chased down.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!