bladespin Registered User

Full disclosure: I hate going for new glasses, this dates back to when I got my first credit card (long ago) I had promised myself a nice pair of glasses instead of the old medical card jobbies, armed with a 'special offer' - glasses and sunglasses for £100 I happily went in and before I know it I was being charged £578; coatings I 'had' to have, frame upgrades for just a little more etc etc - yes I swallowed it all.

Every experience with the optical chains since that has reinforced this, I honestly would rather deal with the roughest used car dealer than these 'professionals'.

Now, I had a lovely pair of raybans until I lost them last year, as summer is approaching i thought I'd get a new set with an up to date prescription so looked about online.

Specsavers seemed to offer a nice pair at a reasonable price of €89 and as the ad said 'comes with standard single vision lenses, a scratch-resistant treatment, case and cloth.' I thought I had a winner.

Their website promised me a free eyetest up to the 30th but found they preferred to go through PRSI when I tried to arrange a test; eh well okay.

Turned up for the test and all went swimmingly, their Navan staff are lovely, very easy to deal with.

So test done I mentioned that I'd seen a pair I liked and could I buy them, we selected the pair from the display (marked at €89 as per the web) and went to order, I was asked about thin lenses and coatings but as these are only really for the car I said no thank you, just the standard.
The calculator came out and I was presented with a bill for €178, a little stunned I questioned this, thinking they were thinking I wanted 2x pairs but no, this was for the pair I'd picked with standard lenses.
I mentioned the price from the website but was told that that was for the frames with 'standard' lenses, when I said that was what I wanted I was told that for 'sunglasses' I would require polarizing or tinted lenses, €60 and/or €89, that the 'standard' lenses that were free were clear lenses, I thanked them for their time, got my prescription and left, I've just ordered 2 pairs (one sunglasses and a spare set of clears) for €64 online so I'm very happy.

I'm just trying to understand how they can get away with that kind of carry on, surely there's some sort of advertising standard that's in breach here, selling sunglasses with standard lenses that aren't sunglasses unless you spend another €60 minimum for a tint, how can they describe clear lenses as standard sunglasses?

3 people have thanked this post
Frigating Registered User

You wanted sunglasses. That requires the lenses to be tinted. Tinted lenses is not what most people require when they get glasses, it is something extra to the normal lenses, therefore they are not standard. In addition, the website clearly lays out what standard lenses are. Lens tints are listed under "lens extras". Surely you learnt after the first time to research before you buy

Frigating said:
You wanted sunglasses. That requires the lenses to be tinted. Tinted lenses is not what most people require when they get glasses, it is something extra to the normal lenses, therefore they are not standard. In addition, the website clearly lays out what standard lenses are. Lens tints are listed under "lens extras". Surely you learnt after the first time to research before you buy

I think you have misunderstood me, I did not select glasses and want them to be made into sunglasses, I selected sunglasses specifically.

I wanted sunglasses, went to their sunglasses section, selected the frames I likes etc, how can they advertise Sunglasses?
Linky

Where does it say that?

L1011 Moderator

Polarized lenses are expensive (as you'll have noted comparing against the prices where you bought online too); the quoted price was for standard lenses. No ripoff.

You can get sunglasses fitted with standard lenses just as you can get normal glasses fitted with polarised - bit pointless in both cases, but that's not the issue.

L1011 said:
Polarized lenses are expensive (as you'll have noted comparing against the prices where you bought online too); the quoted price was for standard lenses. No ripoff.

You can get sunglasses fitted with standard lenses just as you can get normal glasses fitted with polarized - bit pointless in both cases, but that's not the issue.

I think it is tbh, never heard of sunglasses with clear lenses, the picture on the website shows dark, I know they have some room on images but surely it's misleading, I know exactly how much polarizing costs but that's not my gripe, if I want to get anywhere near what is portrayed on their website I have to got to €149 despite a published price of €89, no T&Cs are mentioned on the page.

1 person has thanked this post
freshpopcorn Registered User

I don't see how it's a rip-off.

freshpopcorn said:
I don't see how it's a rip-off.

Really, priced at €89 but you have to give them €149 to get what's actually described while a similar product can be purchases for €32 (with lenses).

Refusing their own voucher over a PRSI claim?

1 person has thanked this post
L1011 Moderator

bladespin said:
I think it is tbh, never heard of sunglasses with clear lenses, the picture on the website shows dark, I know they have some room on images but surely it's misleading, I know exactly how much polarizing costs but that's not my gripe, if I want to get anywhere near what is portrayed on their website I have to got to €149 despite a published price of €89, no T&Cs are mentioned on the page.

The page very clearly says "standard lenses".

L1011 said:
The page very clearly says "standard lenses".

I'm sorry but standard lenses in sunglasses are dark IMO, extremely misleading and the end product would not match description either.

29 people have thanked this post
RossieMan Registered User

Standard lenses are not tinted. I don't understand how you don't understand this.

3 people have thanked this post
freshpopcorn Registered User

bladespin said:
Really, priced at €89 but you have to give them €149 to get what's actually described while a similar product can be purchases for €32 (with lenses).

Refusing their own voucher over a PRSI claim?

We most have a different understanding of what standard lenses are!

RossieMan said:
Standard lenses are not tinted. I don't understand how you don't understand this.

Maybe it's me but I honestly can't how you can describe an item as 'sunglasses' but supply them with clear lenses or expect a customer to pay double the advertised price to actually get the product pictured.

This morning, I purchased a pair of 'sunglasses' from a UK company, I called them to make sure the lenses were dark and the person on the other end of the line (who must have thought I had too much over the weekend) replied, of course - they're sunglasses.

47 people have thanked this post

freshpopcorn said:
We most have a different understanding of what standard lenses are!

I think we have a different understanding of what sunglasses are really!
It's not just the lenses but as said already I would think standard lenses in sunglasses have some tint, I'd also expect a company to honor their own vouchers.

Oxford english dictionary

C3PO Registered User

I am a very happy repeat Specsavers customer but come on lads ........ sunglasses with clear lenses?

41 people have thanked this post
emeldc Registered User

RossieMan said:

Sunglasses with (standard) clear lenses. What fuggin' use would they be

8 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!