JupiterKid Registered User

I was on a UK web discussion forum this afternoon and there was a thread about situations where teenage girls weren't going to school because their parents couldn't afford to buy them sanitary towels. Are sanitary towels that expensive? I'm a man and I've no clue but I would have thought that they were a basic necessity, like toothpaste and bog roll.

Quite a few posters on the thread opined that it was a case of bad parenting with some parents prioritising booze and cigs over their daughters' basic needs but one or two posters said that poverty in Britain was so bad for some these days that yes, it was very possible.

Thoughts? And would it happen here?

1 person has thanked this post
Stigura Registered User

JupiterKid said:
some parents prioritising booze and cigs over their daughters' basic needs.

" To either cut down on beer or the kid's new gear ~ It's a big decision in a town called malice ".

25 people have thanked this post
Candie Registered User

JupiterKid said:
I was on a UK web discussion forum this afternoon and there was a thread about situations where teenage girls weren't going to school because their parents couldn't afford to buy them sanitary towels. Are sanitary towels that expensive? I'm a man an I've no clue but I would have bought that they were a basic necessity, like toothpaste and bog roll.

Quite a few posters on the thread opined that it was a case of bad parenting with some parents prioritising booze and cigs over their daughters' basic needs but one or two posters said that poverty in Britain was so bad for some these days that yes, it was very possible.

Thoughts? And would it happen here?

There are people who can't spare the money for even the cheapest own brand products in the Western world today. Sometimes it's because they can barely afford to put food on the table - and to some toothpaste is a luxury - and sometimes it's because of chaotic drink/drug abuse by the adults leading to neglect of the children.

In sub-Saharan Africa, 1 in 10 girls who attend school will have to miss it during menstruation as they have no choice other than 'freebleeding'.

27 people have thanked this post
hawkelady Registered User

Popcorn and a big grin ...

Ridiculous stuff

the_pen_turner Registered User

Candie said:
There are people who can't spare the money for even the cheapest own brand products in the Western world today. Sometimes it's because they can barely afford to put food on the table - and to some toothpaste is a luxury - and sometimes it's because of chaotic drink/drug abuse by the adults leading to neglect of the children.

In sub-Saharan Africa, 1 in 10 girls who attend school will have to miss it during menstruation as they have no choice other than 'freebleeding'.

Cupcake_Crisis Registered User

Can you not get free feminine hygiene products in family planning clinics?

Tbh, they should be free. Or at the very least tax free. The "pink tax" can ask me arse.

20 people have thanked this post
Lady is a tramp Registered User

God the parents would have to be awfully disorganised to allow that to happen. I mean, surely it costs less to buy them (e.g. in a pound shop or wherever) than to have the girls bleeding through all their clothes/undies at home?!

There are other options too like reusable cloth towels, or mooncups, which presumably work out cheaper in the long run.

And I would imagine their local public health services wouldn't leave them stuck if they approached them and explained the situation. I mean, it's unhygienic, and horrible for the girls involved, if it's true.

4 people have thanked this post
BlinkingLights Registered User

There have been fairly swinging cuts to social welfare over there.

For example if you'd a single parent who was unemployed, you could quite easily find they had been sanctioned (dole cut) over some arbitrary minor breech of agreement with the local Job Centre and that can leave some people going without.

I'm not saying that people should be permanently welfare dependent but under the Tory changes the UK has a situation developing where being in very serious poverty is now very definitely possible, and that's without someone opting to service debts or do something silly with welfare payments.

You can literally be cut off.

The direction the UK is headed is not good.

67 people have thanked this post
freshpopcorn Registered User

hawkelady said:
Popcorn and a big grin ...

Ridiculous stuff

I'm here!

19 people have thanked this post
nosilver Banned

Yes. Poverty in parts of Britain is appalling. Social welfare system is third world.

Basic social welfare is about €85 for over 25's, children's allowances are about €23 for 1st child and €16 for other children.

Here jobseeker is €193, children's allowance is €33 per week.

Uk and USA are the two places you don't want to be if you are unemployed

36 people have thanked this post
Zaph Millionaire Oppressor

Cupcake_Crisis said:
Can you not get free feminine hygiene products in family planning clinics?

Tbh, they should be free. Or at the very least tax free. The "pink tax" can ask me arse.

They are tax free in this country and have been for years. That the myth still persists that they are not simply because they are taxed in other countries is an enduring mystery to me.

24 people have thanked this post
Hunky Monster Registered User

nosilver said:
Yes. Poverty in parts of Britain is appalling. Social welfare system is third world.

Basic social welfare is about €85 for over 25's, children's allowances are about €23 for 1st child and €16 for other children.

Here jobseeker is €193, children's allowance is €33 per week.

Uk and USA are the two places you don't want to be if you are unemployed

Or the arguement could be made that our system is FAR FAR too generous.

51 people have thanked this post
JupiterKid Registered User

Candie said:

I can well believe it. Africa has the highest levels of absolute poverty in the world. But in the UK in 2017? Something sounds amiss here.

Apparently food banks ask for sanitary items like loo roll, sanitary towels and toothpaste. In this day and age people shouldn't have to go without these items.

I suspect that households with addiction problems might have these sort of problems, where all the available money is going towards drink, drugs and gambling.

6 people have thanked this post
the_pen_turner Registered User

of all the poor families in my area I think only 2 are actually genuinely on the bread line. ironically neither would look for or accept help to them.
the rest are poor by choice , be it drink or drugs, or just buying stupid cap they don't need. there never seamed to be a shortage of money down the pub or in the bookies. but they never have money at the till in the local supermarket

1 person has thanked this post
BlinkingLights Registered User

I've a sense Britain is going to "snap" at some stage over the next few years. Things are going far too far right wing and the majority of the population doesn't really swing that way.

The issue in Ireland isn't that welfare is insufficient. We have a good safety net when it's accessed but, you get people who fall through the cracks by not applying at all either due to pride, inability to do it (depression, cognitive issues, social skills not there etc).

The other huge issue here is people will sometimes service debts before buying food and basics. Then the basics come from charity or not at all.

The application process is still too complicated. They need to make it much more straight forward and ensure that those cases are picked up. Nobody should be depending on charities to feed themselves in this state. No matter what their circumstances.

There is also a difficulty of not having a proper bankruptcy process, still! Despite everything... It's still very cumbersome and not understood very well by a lot of people.

10 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!