pat25c Registered User
#1

Can anyone recommend a decant cheap bike gps/computer that I can load up route maps , I'm planning a few back road trips around the country this year and I just want something that will stop me from getting hopelessly lost .I have never used a gps/computer before so like a blind man in an orgy I'm having to feel my way.

easygoing39 Registered User
#2

a 2nd hand Garmin 705 would be the cheapest I'd guess.Or a 2nd hand 800.

ted1 Registered User
#3

A cheap android phone will do the job

1 person has thanked this post
cdaly_ Registered User
#4

With OsmAnd as your navigation app.

smacl Registered User
#5

ted1 said:
A cheap android phone will do the job


Yep, once you can get it mounted, weatherproofed, make sure it has a daylight visible screen and a battery life that will last your planned journey. I've also used an old hiking GPS unit in the past with handlebar mounts, that was fugly and had reasonably poor maps, but excellent battery life, took AA batteries and was fully submersible. Currently on an 810, which is mostly excellent but I find the screen a bit small.

DanDublin1982 Registered User
#6

I use an edge 200. Does everything i need it to do.

smacl Registered User
#7

DanDublin1982 said:
I use an edge 200. Does everything i need it to do.


OP is looking for route maps, don't think the 200 will do this.

cdaly_ Registered User
#8

I use one of these phone mounts. Has room for a 5.5" phone.

crosstownk Registered User
#9

smacl said:
OP is looking for route maps, don't think the 200 will do this.


It won't do route maps but it will display a course and keep you on it. If you leave the course it will alert you and point you back to the course. It won't navigate or display a map but it is adequate. It will also display a virtual partner to pace you if that's your thing.

But if it's maps that the OP wants then the Edge 200 will prove to be too basic in that regard.

Inquitus Registered User
#10

crosstownk said:
It won't do route maps but it will display a course and keep you on it. If you leave the course it will alert you and point you back to the course. It won't navigate or display a map but it is adequate. It will also display a virtual partner to pace you if that's your thing.

But if it's maps that the OP wants then the Edge 200 will prove to be too basic in that regard.


The breadcrumb trail on the smaller edges does a decent job, can be a bit confusing if you come to a fork in the road, but will only waste a few minutes of your time until it tells you you are off course and you figure out you need to go back and take the other fork.

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!