pauldry Registered User

Finner now 32mm
Shannon 27mm
Malin 26mm

but Newport probably 45mm

for the 48hrs

NIMAN Registered User

It seems to have been raining constantly for 2 days up here in the NW.

Graces7 Banned

NIMAN said:
It seems to have been raining constantly for 2 days up here in the NW.

Same here in West Connemara. Cats keep coming in saturated... weary of the wet and wind,,..

pauldry Registered User

Newport now has 54mm for the 2 days and more rain today.

Everywhere else is less than this apart from some areas of Connemara and mountains

Oneiric 3 Registered User

redsteveireland said:
Any totals for Tuam? Looks like palace fields will be wet tomorrow for Cross country competition.

Only got around 14mm out of this event Redsteve, but probably more in reality as my gauge is in a bit of a rain shadow during stiff SW winds (house to SW)

Graces7 Banned

pauldry said:

Everywhere else is less than this apart from some areas of Connemara and mountains

Yep.. maybe I should start measuring? Do these things cost much? I had left an empty fuel. container out and there were literally 2-3 inches of rain in the bottom . Even after today that was.

It was the most prolonged and heavy rain I have seen here. Had water coming in where no water should be at one stage. And never seen torrents coming in off the sheer mountains behind the cottage before like that.

A question about rainbows. There was a spectacular one earlier. But very low arc, wide. Not the usual higher arch. And totally against the mountains,no sky; wondering why?

West Connemara 400 ft asl at the foot of high peaks.

JCX BXC Registered User

Just 9.2mm here since paddy's day, but its been raining almost consistently.

West Clare.

1 person has thanked this post
Oneiric 3 Registered User

24 hour accumulation (based only on radar returns) over the 24hr period that was St. Patrick's (what a great name) Day.

(from WeatherOnline)

@Grace7. A simple mug like this will do the trick:

As long as the mug (or any other container) has an equal sized circumference from top to bottom, you'll get a good, representative reading of rainfall if placed in a fairly exposed area from events like this. Keep in mind though that when winds are particularly strong and rainfall is blowing at an angle, that readings will become a small bit less reliable. Just use a ruler to measure rainfall once the weather system has passed. (and post them on here!!)

Edit: Total from this event in Galway (NUIG) stands at 43.4mm

1 person has thanked this post
Lumi Category Moderator

Yep.. maybe I should start measuring? Do these things cost much?

I think the private weather station in Leenane should be close enough to your neck of the woods in west Connemara Graces7. Measurements for today/yesterday etc are at the bottom of the page.

http://weather.leenanevillage.com

Xenji Registered User

pauldry said:

Dry and sunny so far today thankfully, it was a horrible 48 hours though.

pauldry Registered User

Newport ended at 75mm
Finner at 42mm

Think these were most.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!