pauldry Registered User

Just saw weather forecast and have been following this a few days now.

Paddys Day to Sunday high ground could get near 80mm of rain and gales of force 9.

Certainly 40mm or more at coastal stations like Belmullet or Finner and Malin

Feel free to insert images the more computer literate among you. Just think this deserves attention

2 people have thanked this post
M.T. Cranium Registered User

Yes, if Pauldry or a mod could perhaps add the level one tag to the thread title (Pauldry, you can edit your post in "advanced" to get at the title) that would be good. I think most of this rain will fall in two periods, one this afternoon, and a second one during the early morning to mid-day hours of Sunday. It will remain damp in between but there are two pulses of heavier rain coming. As this is largely an orographic event, higher terrain will capture most of the rain and not too much will get further east, total rainfalls in Leinster during the period may be only 10-20 mm.

4 people have thanked this post
Graces7 Registered User

The world is water up here already; West Connemara 400 ft asl and apparently something of a micro climate.

Non stop deluge for an hour already, drumming on the roof and no mountains to be seen.

Bad weather for lambing; poor farmer neighbours ..

1 person has thanked this post
Graces7 Registered User

Just glanced up at the mountains and the sheer spates of water coming off now. Went out to check the stream that runs behind the cottage and a great waterfall feeding in from several different streams.

The back bank is flooded; front still holding. Path at the front is flooded.

Hoping gravity prevails, but still deluging hard.

pauldry Registered User

Well up on 25mm in parts of the West today but Sligo only had 10.4mm though interestingly Tubbercurry surely had way more as driving torrential rain here for the 4 hours I was there today so maybe 15 to 20mm.

At midday Finner had 13mm

It led the way

At 6pm we will prob see a few 20mm readings

Look out for Newport tomorrow.

Someone told me it was a deluge there.

MJohnston Registered User

Doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary, but for some reason the wind this evening is absolutely wrecking our fences, which survived Doris for the most part.

pauldry Registered User

No just 18mm in Finner

But its a weekend event lets see what final totals bring

Wine Goddess Registered User

Anyone finding the winds to be a lot stronger than expected? It's pretty heavy here in Firhouse, Dublin 24.
Was pretty hairy driving from Bray to Firhouse earlier on the M50 also......

pauldry Registered User

Dublin actually getting the strongest winds out of this for some reason. Shannon and Newport have seen some heavy rain in the past few hours.

MJohnston Registered User

Wine Goddess said:
Anyone finding the winds to be a lot stronger than expected? It's pretty heavy here in Firhouse, Dublin 24.
Was pretty hairy driving from Bray to Firhouse earlier on the M50 also......

Yeah, I was saying about that above. I'm in Dublin 7, winds have calmed down a good bit now but they were wild from about 6pm onwards.

Easterly Beasterly Registered User

MJohnston said:
Yeah, I was saying about that above. I'm in Dublin 7, winds have calmed down a good bit now but they were wild from about 6pm onwards.

Hey Guys.. Does anyone know if the strong winds in Dublin are due to ease overnight? I'm at an outdoor event tomorrow and the screens we use can only operate below Force 7.. I wasn't expecting it to be this windy!

gugsy Registered User

Easterly Beasterly
Hey Guys.. Does anyone know if the strong winds in Dublin are due to ease overnight? I'm at an outdoor event tomorrow and the screens we use can only operate below Force 7.. I wasn't expecting it to be this windy!

Winds will ease tomorrow to about force 3/4 before picking up again tomorrow night/sun morn.

pauldry Registered User

Newport now has 32mm
Finner has 20.7mm
Shannon 19.8mm

These are up to midmight so ill update Shannon and Finner later

Oneiric 3 Registered User

Yester's totals. C/O Met Éireann:

Galway City's total yesterday: 28.8mm at NUIG.

4 people have thanked this post
redsteveireland Registered User

Oneiric 3 said:
Yester's totals. C/O Met Éireann:

Galway City's total yesterday: 28.8mm at NUIG.

Any totals for Tuam? Looks like palace fields will be wet tomorrow for Cross country competition.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!