TallGlass Registered User

Might as well get this one heated up seen as the offers have come out on the other thread.

This is mainly just for chat and questions I imagine.

Some common questions from the other thread...

What are the intakes for 2017?

August and November

What stage do you get called to station to meet super / sergeant?

You can meet them at any stage after the interview

Is meeting them part of vetting?

Meeting the sergeant and super is part of the vetting process.

Can I defer?

Yes, but you need a good reason! Heading away for two weeks is not one. Also be aware, you are not guaranteed a place after deferring.

OOM, Order Of Merit

Seemingly this looks to be done quite oddly, the only one you 'see' is the one from PAS, but once handed to AGS, you are placed into an OOM with them based on all campaigns from 15' and 16'. From reading on here, I would take your OOM with a pinch of salt and go with which stages you've completed first then go back to your OOM to see how you stack up.

Do you pay for meals in the college

Set meals by the college, NO you don't pay. Things like snacks, soft drinks ,beer etc.. you will have to pay for down there. There's a shop and pub on site. A Lidl up the road and your about a 10 min walk outside of the town, there's a pub across the road also.

I rang the appointments office and was told x, but x on here said something different?

The truth is, HRM nor anyone on here really knows. You'll always get different answers from who you speak to in HRM or on here, again just try stay sane and when you get an offer believe that, until then believe nothing, unless its a PCT date or Medical date!

I am entering the college with a degree, what happens now?

Nothing during training or probation unfortunately for you. Once you complete probation, fortunately you'll jump three points on the pay scale.

Garda Trainee Information Day?

This is a day or open day to run you over the PCT exam in a training mode so to speak, you do the course/machine once, up to level 4 on beep and as many push ups or sit-ups as you like on the day.

You don't need to attend nor do you need an invitation to go an open day

It's up to you if you want to go, but if it's not to far out for you or putting you out I would say it's good to go get a feel for the place, get a feel for the college etc..

I have everything done now, what happens now?

Your full application will go to the commissioner, who will decide to approve or decline your application.

Ok that's all for now. I may add more in.

Hope this helps !

15 people have thanked this post
Persieway11 Registered User

great advise above I'm early oom 800s January 16 campaign everything fine and advised last week vetting still outstanding so that was may gone down drain but here hoping for Aug 😎

giggsey Registered User

Hi TallGlass,

Great Summary - but can you clarify about not guaranteed a place after deferring.

>Can I defer?
>Yes, but you need a good reason! Heading away for two weeks is not one. Also be aware, you are not guaranteed a place after deferring.

I'm Sept 2016 campaign, waiting for physical.
If all goes well, say I'm accepted for Nov Intake.....I'll be in final year college then. Could I choose to deter place until I finish degree. Agree to start in the Aug 2018 intake - would I be guaranteed place in that scenario?

Thanks.

1 person has thanked this post
BobbyDaisy Registered User

I'll park myself in here I highly doubt I'll receive an offer next week roll on August haha

TallGlass Registered User

s

giggsey said:
Hi TallGlass,

Great Summary - but can you clarify about not guaranteed a place after deferring.

>Can I defer?
>Yes, but you need a good reason! Heading away for two weeks is not one. Also be aware, you are not guaranteed a place after deferring.

I'm Sept 2016 campaign, waiting for physical.
If all goes well, say I'm accepted for Nov Intake.....I'll be in final year college then. Could I choose to deter place until I finish degree. Agree to start in the Aug 2018 intake - would I be guaranteed place in that scenario?

Thanks.

Seemingly thats what your advised by HRM. It imagine it's just to cover themselves if something comes up. You can double check with them, again as mentioned also. Don't take anything as set in stone until you've signed the contract.

Henry2006 Registered User

TallGlass said:
Might as well get this one heated up seen as the offers have come out on the other thread.

This is mainly just for chat and questions I imagine.

Some common questions from the other thread...

What are the intakes for 2017?

August and November

What stage do you get called to station to meet super / sergeant?

You can meet them at any stage after the interview

Is meeting them part of vetting?

Meeting the sergeant and super is part of the vetting process.

Can I defer?

Yes, but you need a good reason! Heading away for two weeks is not one. Also be aware, you are not guaranteed a place after deferring.

OOM, Order Of Merit

Seemingly this looks to be done quite oddly, the only one you 'see' is the one from PAS, but once handed to AGS, you are placed into an OOM with them based on all campaigns from 15' and 16'. From reading on here, I would take your OOM with a pinch of salt and go with which stages you've completed first then go back to your OOM to see how you stack up.

Do you pay for meals in the college

Set meals by the college, NO you don't pay. Things like snacks, soft drinks ,beer etc.. you will have to pay for down there. There's a shop and pub on site. A Lidl up the road and your about a 10 min walk outside of the town, there's a pub across the road also.

I rang the appointments office and was told x, but x on here said something different?

The truth is, HRM nor anyone on here really knows. You'll always get different answers from who you speak to in HRM or on here, again just try stay sane and when you get an offer believe that, until then believe nothing, unless its a PCT date or Medical date!

I am entering the college with a degree, what happens now?

Nothing during training or probation unfortunately for you. Once you complete probation, fortunately you'll jump three points on the pay scale.

Garda Trainee Information Day?

This is a day or open day to run you over the PCT exam in a training mode so to speak, you do the course/machine once, up to level 4 on beep and as many push ups or sit-ups as you like on the day.

You don't need to attend nor do you need an invitation to go an open day

It's up to you if you want to go, but if it's not to far out for you or putting you out I would say it's good to go get a feel for the place, get a feel for the college etc..

I have everything done now, what happens now?

Your full application will go to the commissioner, who will decide to approve or decline your application.

Ok that's all for now. I may add more in.

Hope this helps !

Thanks for taking the time to do this, great idea

Elliot192 Registered User

Great advice TallGlass. Thanks for doing that. I'm hoping for August myself! Fingers crossed.

ArifI Registered User

well put and best of luck to everyone for August.

Canyon86 Registered User

Good idea for a thread although November is my most realistic intake hope
Good luck all

ForeverYoung90 Registered User

Fair play very informative post. Still hoping on a May offer myself 🙈

MrBlack93 Registered User

I'll throw my hat in the ring but happy enough with November.

Oom ~200

Best of luck lads with the vetting issues, I hope ye get an offer soon

3 people have thanked this post
Persieway11 Registered User

Gnr_Iver said:
Best of luck lads with the vetting issues, I hope ye get an offer soon

thanks hopefully I'll make August if vetting comes through the very best of luck for u in may delighted for u 😀

1 person has thanked this post

Persieway11 said:
thanks hopefully I'll make August if vetting comes through the very best of luck for u in may delighted for u 😀

Cheers bud

Gerrard2121 Registered User

Hi everyone. I've been waiting almost 2 months for a physical date and still nothing. Everything else is done and vetting cleared. If I pass my physical in the next month or so should I nearly be guaranteed a place in august as I will have no outstanding stages left?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!