source Registered User
#1

http://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0314/859533-coastguard-mayo-incident/

Thoughts with family, friends and colleagues at this difficult time.

Still hoping for a good outcome.

degsie Registered User
#2

Hopefully training kicked in and there's a chance.

TallGlass Registered User
#3

Just reading the bad news there about this. Hopefully all are well, lets not hope the worst just yet. The naval community do come in strong in times of distress in terms of them turning out/around vessels/small craft to help with search and rescue events in times like these.

TallGlass Registered User
#4

RTE reporting one rescued (in critical condition), three still missing...

Larbre34 Registered User
#5

Could not believe this news this morning, brought memories of Tramore flooding back. Praying hard for them all. All thoughts with the families and the services working hard on site today

1 person has thanked this post
ratracer Registered User
#6

Very tough news, thoughts with their families at this time.

flazio Registered User
#7

Captain Dara Fitzpatrick confirmed​ dead. Huge loss to the service. May she rest in peace.

3 people have thanked this post
Parapara2017 Registered User
#8

Disgusted, horrible news. Had to read the headline two or three times when i woke up before it sank in. Hopefully the friends and families of all convolved will get some answers to what happened.

TallGlass Registered User
#9

flazio said:
Captain Dara Fitzpatrick confirmed​ dead. Huge loss to the service. May she rest in peace.


From watching her on RTÉ and the watching her interviews, she seemed and came across as extremely experienced, extremely professional and extremely passionate about her work and flying.

Safe to say such a tragic loss of experience for the guys, I still hold some hope for the 3 guys missing.

AmboMan Registered User
#10

What a waste of life and resources for some dude with a hurty finger.

January Category Moderator
#11

AmboMan said:
What a waste of life and resources for some dude with a hurty finger.


'hurty finger' = the tip of his finger was cut off. He was rescued due to the risk of septicemia.

3 people have thanked this post
AmboMan Registered User
#12

January said:
'hurty finger' = the tip of his finger was cut off. He was rescued due to the risk of septicemia.


A minor injury that was not time critical. Sepsis can be caused be on open wound, possibly prophylactic antibiotics prescribed if warranted. Really this guy could have taken some paracetamol and/or ibuprofen and and disembarked at the nearest port.
The risk of airlifting this guy was far greater than any potential benefit.

1 person has thanked this post
ratracer Registered User
#13

AmboMan said:
A minor injury that was not time critical. Sepsis can be caused be on open wound, possibly prophylactic antibiotics prescribed if warranted. Really this guy could have taken some paracetamol and/or ibuprofen and and disembarked at the nearest port.
The risk of airlifting this guy was far greater than any potential benefit.


Do you have access to his actual diagnosis or just what the independent spout?
I don't think anyone in the ES would be questioning the validity of a turn out, the job is to help people out when they need it!

1 person has thanked this post
AmboMan Registered User
#14

ratracer said:
Do you have access to his actual diagnosis or just what the independent spout?
I don't think anyone in the ES would be questioning the validity of a turn out, the job is to help people out when they need it!


I've seen the video footage of the guy walking out of the helicopter towards the ambulance crew with a minor distal injury to one hand.
People in the Emergency Services should question and carryout a dynamic risk assessment as there is significant risk involved carrying out a rescue mission at night with minimal benefit to this patient. Even if a finger or thumb is amputated orthopaedic and plastic review to tidy up the stump is the normal course of action at the most.

ratracer Registered User
#15

AmboMan said:
I've seen the video footage of the guy walking out of the helicopter towards the ambulance crew with a minor distal injury to one hand.
People in the Emergency Services should question and carryout a dynamic risk assessment as there is significant risk involved carrying out a rescue mission at night with minimal benefit to this patient. Even if a finger or thumb is amputated orthopaedic and plastic review to tidy up the stump is the normal course of action at the most.


In my opinion, and I am not an expert in aviation, but the helicopter was flying well within its operating range, and within acceptable weather conditions for the aircraft. The crew were highly trained at what they do.
Something has gone seriously wrong with the aircraft and it's warning systems ( EPIRBS etc) that hasn't been explained yet. While every avenue of investigation of the cause of the collision needs to be exhausted, I don't believe that gutter press hacks with nothing further to write about should be stirring up something they know very little about.

4 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!