Anyone on here have experience of the Xiaomi Smart Home stuff? It all runs on ZigBee and requires yet another hub but the pricing seems very attractive!
For example €6 for a Door/Windows sensor
€6 for a smart button
€40 for a dual paddle zigbee wall switch with local control
There is also a custom component to plug all this into Home Assistant (& SmartThings)
I'd like to hear if anyone has first hand experience with this stuff before I make the plunge.
Started getting emails from that site an hour after looking at it
I've ordered the Hub, 2 X Door/ Window Sensors & 2 x Button for a total of €55. I'll be the guinea pig for the forum I guess
I'll report back on my experience
I guess I'll be the gerbil then! Just took delivery of a gateway, couple of switches, three pir sensors and have some yeelights to setup too. Just waiting on a pi3 to run domoticz to arrive and then the fun begins!
Interested in the outcome here...seem like great value products
How are you finding the gateway when it's plugged in to the socket? Is it protruding a good but with the adaptor?
Interested in this Xiaomi setup too, especially the sensors and PIR, wonder is there a smart alarm system that they could be hooked into?
Haven't taken it out of the box yet! Just ordered the pi 3 the other day so when that arrives I'll probably start into it in earnest. Looking at the pics it will stick out a bit alright but i don't see it being a big issue as it will be static in the wall in an out of the way place.
What i do have an issue with is the E27 to bayonet adapters for the yeelight bulbs. The bulbs are a bit weighty and i have a lamp as a test bed for setting up the bulbs. When upright in the lamp it's inclined to lean over to the side a little. I'll probably swap a lot of my fixtures over to E27 i think
So I finally took deliver of the Xiaomi gear yesterday and promptly got started setting everything up.
One mistake i made was setting the Xiaomi app to US instead of Mainland China. It doesnt work unless the location is set to Mainland China.
Once I got the hub plugged in and paired I added one of the door/window sensors to the hub. These things are *tiny*. I've never seen a door sensor so small. Here is a picture vs my Aeotec Z-Wave door sensor (€50) for comparison:
Once I got that setup and working with the Xiaomi Hub I decided to start trying to link it into Home Assistant. I did so using this custom component .
It was a remarkably painless process and I was able to set up a simple light on/light off automation in no time.
I also got 2 of the buttons and set up one of them. You can assign actions to single, double & long press. Again setup was very simple and the Home Assistant integration is first class. I'm still trying to figure out the best use-case for these at the moment so I'm not actively using them.
- This gear is serious value for money. I paid €6 for a door & window sensor and €6 for a button!
- The range on the Xiaomi hub is very good. I have mine buried in my network cabinet in my attic and it works flawlessly anywhere downstairs. I suspect it may be amplified by the hue bulbs I have everywhere as they both use ZigBee & hue bulbs act as repeaters although I'm not sure if the hue bulbs only repeat the signal from their own bridge or if they'll repeat any ZigBee signal.
- The response time is super fast. Much faster then the Z-Wave door sensor I have. I have the door sensor on my closet so the light turns on when you open it and off when you close it and it's so quick I cannot see the light turn on at all.
- How are you finding the gateway when it's plugged in to the socket? Is it protruding a good but with the adaptor? Yes it does protrude quite a bit with the adapter on it & the hub itself is bulky enough. It's not an issue for me as I have it buried in a cabinet but may be an issue depending on where you are installing it
Overall I'm very happy with my purchase. It's great to finally stumble across something that's decent quality and cheap in the HA world!
Next on the list is an Aqara Wall Switch!
Any questions just shout!
Cool, a few questions:
- Is the window/door sensor a magnetic open/close only sensor or does it also have vibration sensor (someone breaking a window)?
- Is the wall switch wired into an existing wall switch (replacing it)?
If yes, then I wonder if it could be used with Hue lights? I'd be interested to see how you get on with this.
- The door/windows sensor is magnetic so doesn't detect vibration (as far as i'm aware)
-They come in two flavors, a wireless version which is battery powered and acts like a hue dimmer switch of sorts. The second one actually replaces the physical switch and provides local control of the light. The 2 paddle version is interesting as you can control on/off from one paddle & then set a scene using the other paddle. I'm going to get one of these to control a switch that controls a hue light. I'll still have the issue of the light coming on 100% brightness when power is restored.
Another option is to use the wireless version and hardwire the light to always be on. The switch (86mm x 86mm) looks like it will cover the opening created by a irish/uk switch (85mm x 85mm) unlike the hue dimmer.
EDIT: I found this guide for modifying the button to convert it to a wall switch. The idea being you hardwire the light to be always live and control the hue bulb via the local switch. I gave it a go and it seems to work great on a momentary switch i had lying around. Just need to solder it on and install, but i'll report back on how it goes
Just ordered a few more bits to expand this setup:
- Zigbee Wireless Aqara Switch (Double Toggle) x2
- Zigbee Wired Aqara Switch (Double Toggle)
- Motion Sensor x2
- Door/Window Sensor x2
€80 for the lot which is stupidly cheap. The wired aqara switch is going to be used to swap out a z-wave dimmer that cost €50
I'd be interested in a few of the window sensors now after reading your comments.
Do you need a hub for those to work? I can't seem to find one on the Gearbest site.
Not just available on Gearbest ( I really don't like Gearbest!! )
I'm thinking of the window/door sensors because our house alarm has no window sensors so these would be a nice addition.
If the sensor connection is broken do you get a notification through the app?