BigCon Registered User

As far as I can make out, all of 3's bill pay plans are increasing in price from next month.
This means you can leave your contract if affected, without penalty.
You can check if your plan is increasing here:
http://www.three.ie/customer-agreement/phone/
I'm just off the phone to 1800 818 021 and cancelled my contract (they're a bit pushy but you just have to stick to your guns that you don't agree to the price hike).

162 people have thanked this post
GBX Registered User

My sim only plan is going up €5 per month. Thats enough to look elsewhere.

5 people have thanked this post
dolly16 Registered User

OP, where did you see the prices for the plans are increasing? I haven't got any notice? on bill pay.

- Never mind I just saw the link. Raging!
You'd think they should notify us of an increase? rather than a general link on their website.

1 person has thanked this post
BigCon Registered User

You will in the next few days or you can check this link (just select mobile and your current plan) http://www.three.ie/customer-agreement/phone/

2 people have thanked this post
GiraffeStyle Registered User

Do you think it would be possible to cancel your contract and then rejoin a contract for the purposes of getting a new phone...?

largepants Registered User

I took out a two year contract with phone in December. Can I cancel my contract without penalty?

1 person has thanked this post
LizardKing Registered User

BigCon said:
As far as I can make out, all of 3's bill pay plans are increasing in price from next month.
This means you can leave your contract if affected, without penalty.
You can check if your plan is increasing here:
http://www.three.ie/customer-agreement/phone/
I'm just off the phone to 1800 818 021 and cancelled my contract (they're a bit pushy but you just have to stick to your guns that you don't agree to the price hike).

So my wife has about a year left on her contract. She is on 25 euro amonth and its going up to 30 a month. She just needs to call them up and cancel over the phone? Then move to new sim only plan? No catches or extra payments etc??

grahamor Registered User

largepants said:
I took out a two year contract with phone in December. Can I cancel my contract without penalty?

Interested to know this too. i.e. if i cancel my contract with a year remaining can i keep phone and get it unlocked ?

6 people have thanked this post
beamer-89 Registered User

I signed up to a 24 month contract in September.

Am I able to cancel the contract and keep the phone without paying another cent over to three?

Gamebred Registered User

How does this work? ive 6 months left on the contract, can I cancel and keep the phone with penalties.

robyntmorton Registered User

largepants said:

As I would see it:

• You signed a contract on particular terms in December. This was the agreement between both parties.
  • One party is now giving notice of varying the terms of the contract. The other party is materially affected by it.
  • The second party is entitled to say no, and exit the contract without penalty.

The main question is whether three can demand payment for the phone which would have been paid for over 18/24 months, and does this count as penalty?

18 people have thanked this post
IP freely Registered User

GiraffeStyle said:
Do you think it would be possible to cancel your contract and then rejoin a contract for the purposes of getting a new phone...?

I would imagine that 3's billpay decision team would see you broke contract at the time on t&c change. Then decline any further contract applications youll submit.

Possibly (not sure if this is the case) but other networks might also see this as part of their credit checks and also decline an application based on that.

It's my first price increase in 5 years with three so I think it's fair enough personally I'll be staying put.

2 people have thanked this post
largepants Registered User

robyntmorton said:
As I would see it:

• You signed a contract on particular terms in December. This was the agreement between both parties.
  • One party is now giving notice of varying the terms of the contract. The other party is materially affected by it.
  • The second party is entitled to say no, and exit the contract without penalty.

The main question is whether three can demand payment for the phone which would have been paid for over 18/24 months, and does this count as penalty?

I spotted on comreg website that any changes to the contract would mean I can withdraw from contact without penalty. Not sure what happens with phone however I'd hand it back if necessary.

I don't want to pay an extra €4 per month.

IP freely Registered User

largepants said:
I spotted on comreg website that any changes to the contract would mean I can withdraw from contact without penalty. Not sure what happens with phone however I'd hand it back if necessary.

I don't want to pay an extra €4 per month.

I know someone who just cancelled.

3 have to unlock the device and you are free to do as you see fit with it as the device formed part of the original contract.

They did have a bit of bother getting it cancelled you have to really stick to your guns but they have to let you leave and keep the device if you wish.

21 people have thanked this post
DuffleBag Registered User

IP freely said:
I would imagine that 3's billpay decision team would see you broke contract at the time on t&c change. Then decline any further contract applications youll submit.

Possibly (not sure if this is the case) but other networks might also see this as part of their credit checks and also decline an application based on that.

It's my first price increase in 5 years with three so I think it's fair enough personally I'll be staying put.

Likewise. I'd be happy enough. In the grand scheme of things the increase is not outlandish.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!