RGM Registered User

hammy007 said:
In fairness, they are all estimates, and can't truly be relied upon with certainly. I actually found my new FTDNA ethnicity results more similar to my Ancestry results, whereas before they were a good bit different.

They are estimates, yes. It's just disconcerting to see an upgrade make the estimate less accurate than it was before.

Maybe I'm an outlier in this case, I don't know.

pinkypinky Moderator

The tests come from and go back to a lab in the USA. It's just customer service and finance on Sir John Rogerson's Quay.

InTheTrees Registered User

JamboMac said:
That saliva sample is difficult and I feel there may be more than saliva, here's hoping it's a good sample.

I had to do it twice. About three weeks after i sent mine in (to Ancestry) i got another testing kit in the post with a note saying my last saliva sample wasnt good enough. Second time worked fine though.

JamboMac Registered User

Anybody else get the lovely email that coz they where busy during Christmas it's gonna be a delay? It's now nearly may, Christmas should not effect may. In all fairness it's only week 3 since I sent it just worried that this delay could end up being 3 months or something.

Wyldwood Registered User

Well, it's 8 weeks since I sent mine in and it's been in Lab Processing for the past week and still no news so I think you might have a bit of a wait, I'm afraid.

1 person has thanked this post
RGM Registered User

JamboMac said:
Anybody else get the lovely email that coz they where busy during Christmas it's gonna be a delay? It's now nearly may, Christmas should not effect may. In all fairness it's only week 3 since I sent it just worried that this delay could end up being 3 months or something.

Christmas affects May when you sell 1.4 million DNA kits in the last quarter of the year.

Also, a surprisingly high number of people do not immediately send in their kit. I'm sure numerous Christmas kits were still being mailed in last month.

JamboMac Registered User

RGM said:
Christmas affects May when you sell 1.4 million DNA kits in the last quarter of the year.

Also, a surprisingly high number of people do not immediately send in their kit. I'm sure numerous Christmas kits were still being mailed in last month.

You should only join the lab queue when you send it in, shouldn't be based on when it was purchased. Wouldn't make sense to prioritise kits that ancestry sold during Christmas if people took 4 months to return it realistically they should join the back of the queue.

RGM Registered User

JamboMac said:
You should only join the lab queue when you send it in, shouldn't be based on when it was purchased. Wouldn't make sense to prioritise kits that ancestry sold during Christmas if people took 4 months to return it realistically they should join the back of the queue.

It's not about priority, it's about volume. Ancestry sold 400 thousand more kits in the last quarter of 2016 than they did in all of 2015.

Apparently they've just opened a second lab, or so I've heard.

InTheTrees Registered User

RGM said:
It's not about priority, it's about volume. Ancestry sold 400 thousand more kits in the last quarter of 2016 than they did in all of 2015.

Apparently they've just opened a second lab, or so I've heard.

I wonder if its due to the emergence of a few competitors resulting in a bit of an advertising war between them all before Xmas?

I must revisit my results from early last year I wonder if the numbers have changed at all.

dubhthach Registered User

Well most of competitors have been there for several years, (23andme and FamilytreeDNA are big ones). Ancestry have been mounting a very large scale advertising campaign. I think they are track to hit 4 million samples by end of this year (they hit 3 million in January). This is extremely fast growth. I've even notice they have started running adds on RT? (seen them during 6.01 news etc.)

Scale really matters when it comes to testing database that's for sure.

Well most of competitors have been there for several years, (23andme and FamilytreeDNA are big ones). Ancestry have been mounting a very large scale advertising campaign. I think they are track to hit 4 million samples by end of this year (they hit 3 million in January). This is extremely fast growth. I've even notice they have started running adds on RTÉ (seen them during 6.01 news etc.)

Scale really matters when it comes to testing database that's for sure.

Ok it would seem they actually sold 1 million kits in 3 months! growing their database by 33% in size!

see details here:
https://cruwys.blogspot.ie/2017/04/ancestrydna-passes-four-million.html

spurious Category Moderator

Once everyone uploads to GEDMatch (for free) it doesn't matter so much which company did the original test.

Ancestry's seems rather expensive in comparison to what I paid FTDNA.

doctorwho-fan Registered User

I just ordered my kit looking forward to results no matter how long it takes

JamboMac Registered User

doctorwho-fan said:
I just ordered my kit looking forward to results no matter how long it takes

Might find out your not even a doctor who fan like you think.

The tree stuff is fun to pass the time for a while.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!