montgo Registered User

Hi,
I match with a lady from with nearly 100cMs and we have yet to figure out how we connect. I have a 48cMs segment match with her on Ch2. I have lots of shared matches with her on Gedmatch and MyHeritage. Most of the shared matches triangulate on Ch2. I have contacted some of them but most have no known Irish ancestors. According to my 100cMs match, her only Irish ancestor was already in the US by late 1700s. The strong match would appear to rule out a match with an ancestor of over 250 yrs ago but maybe not? Or could she have another Irish ancestor that she doesn't know about, NPE or could it be a false match? Any ideas?

pinkypinky Moderator

Matched on more than one ancestral couple? I.E. the 100Cm is combined from 2 sources.

1 person has thanked this post
Mez1982 Registered User

montgo said:
Hi,
I match with a lady from with nearly 100cMs and we have yet to figure out how we connect. I have a 48cMs segment match with her on Ch2. I have lots of shared matches with her on Gedmatch and MyHeritage. Most of the shared matches triangulate on Ch2. I have contacted some of them but most have no known Irish ancestors. According to my 100cMs match, her only Irish ancestor was already in the US by late 1700s. The strong match would appear to rule out a match with an ancestor of over 250 yrs ago but maybe not? Or could she have another Irish ancestor that she doesn't know about, NPE or could it be a false match? Any ideas?

Is that a total cm shared of is it the longest cms?
I would really doubt at that high of cms that it would be a false match. I share a total of 75 cms with a woman on FTDNA and the link is her 2x G,Grandad was my 2x G,Grandads brother. I also share 135cms with a guy on Ancestry and the link is his G,Grandad was my Grannys brother. So all in all with your total cms being so high the connection IMO should be fairly easy to establish If all ancestors are known.
Here is a guide that I regularly go to to get a rough estimate of where DNA matches and myself could be connected.

montgo Registered User

Thanks Mez,

Yes. total is 98cMs on both MyHeritage & Gedmatch with longest segment of 48cMs. I have referred to that chart before so should be between 3rd & 4th cousin. As Pinky suggests, the match could be from more than one family line.

A New earth Registered User

montgo said:
Thanks Mez,

Yes. total is 98cMs on both MyHeritage & Gedmatch with longest segment of 48cMs. I have referred to that chart before so should be between 3rd & 4th cousin. As Pinky suggests, the match could be from more than one family line.

I have a match with a total of 131cms on 7 segments with largest being 32cms, we can't trace the ancestor but his 2nd great grandmother born c. 1800 has the same surname as my 2nd great grandfather and is from the same county. She could be his sister I suppose but it is still a large CM sharing so maybe yours does stretch back to late 1700s

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!