haminka Registered User

I would like to have a DNA analysis of mine and my daughter's ancestry. We are a bit of an eclectic mixture, especially my daughter, like a little European Union so it would be interesting to see the outcomes.
Would you be able to recommend a reliable DNA analysis centre in Ireland to buy a kit from? I don't want to buy an expensive kit to find out that the analysis isn't really reliable.

pinkypinky Moderator

There's no company in Ireland but all of the majors (FTDNA, Ancestry, 23andme) supply to Ireland. The lab work is done in the USA. Ancestry has the biggest database but FTDNA has the largest number of Irish people in theirs at present.

Ipso Registered User

The tests may not be able to pinpoint individual countries, a lot of them tend to look at things at a regional level; Isles, Scandinavia, North Europe, South Europe etc

pinkypinky Moderator

Also, this from the Ancestry Insider blog is worth considering.

2 people have thanked this post
MAGZERFLOOD Registered User

You can buy DNA kits in the Irish Family History Centre, EPIC Ireland, Custom House Quarter, Dublin. They sell autosomal and Y DNA.

p15574 Registered User

pinkypinky said:
Also, this from the Ancestry Insider blog is worth considering.

It would be interesting to see the results of a similar study just using one person - if you submitted your dna to the same company three times, under three different names, would you get identical results?

pinkypinky Moderator

MAGZERFLOOD said:
You can buy DNA kits in the Irish Family History Centre, EPIC Ireland, Custom House Quarter, Dublin. They sell autosomal and Y DNA.

Which company is providing the tests?

pinkypinky Moderator

p15574 said:
It would be interesting to see the results of a similar study just using one person - if you submitted your dna to the same company three times, under three different names, would you get identical results?

Actually, no, because different companies use different markers. I saw Dr Maurice Gleeson show his own results from the 3 main companies. They were broadly similar but not identical.

1 person has thanked this post
p15574 Registered User

pinkypinky said:
Actually, no, because different companies use different markers. I saw Dr Maurice Gleeson show his own results from the 3 main companies. They were broadly similar but not identical.

I meant if you sent your DNA to one company three separate times, would you get the same results? This to be repeated for all companies, to verify their reliability.

1 person has thanked this post
pedroeibar1 Registered User

pinkypinky said:
Which company is providing the tests?

When it opened EPIC had a booth for FMP so I'd assume it's the FMP partner "FamilyTree". They do three main ones, Family Finder, Y-DNA (37 marker) and Mt full sequence.

The OP really needs to ask herself what she wants / expects to find from a DNA test.

Badly Drunk Boy Registered User

pinkypinky said:
There's no company in Ireland but all of the majors (FTDNA, Ancestry, 23andme) supply to Ireland. The lab work is done in the USA. Ancestry has the biggest database but FTDNA has the largest number of Irish people in theirs at present.

I've done all three (and on FamilyTreeDNA, I did the Family Finder and the Y-DNA 111 marker), and out of them, I personally liked 23andme best. Maybe it was the presentation, or the extra health information (even though I know not to rely on any of that), but it was definitely the one I preferred. It costs €169 for each person.

(And it turns out I wasn't adopted!! )

tabbey Registered User

Badly Drunk Boy said:

We don't mind if you were or not!

Thankfully times have changed.

th283 Registered User

My mother recently got the results from one of the ancestry DNA tests and I would definitely recommend it. It was definitely interesting, it gave a breakdown of her ethnicity as well as links to people who have also taken DNA tests that she is related to. There was one 2nd cousin and over 80 3rd + cousins who have been tested. Within hours of getting the results I was in contact with a 3rd cousin in Florida who was able to provide me with information and photos going back generations

5 people have thanked this post
pedroeibar1 Registered User

Badly Drunk Boy said:
I've done all three (and on FamilyTreeDNA, I did the Family Finder and the Y-DNA 111 marker), and out of them, I personally liked 23andme best. Maybe it was the presentation, or the extra health information (even though I know not to rely on any of that), but it was definitely the one I preferred. It costs €169 for each person.

That does not answer the question - what were the differences between the results from the different companies?
The Y 111 marker test from FTDNA costs $369. Why bother to do lesser Y tests with others? The test company you advocate (23andme) is accepted generally as the least suitable for genealogical purposes becuse it concentrates on health issues... what compatability has that test with for e.g. FamilyFinder?

cobham Registered User

I am looking at an unused 23 and me kit. My side is fairly well mapped going back the generations and I think my other half have might be more interesting. As for family tree links, is it only confined to other people who also have submitted data from a 23 kit? I dont think we want to know of medical stuff, enough of that in family tree

On another topic a friend did two different companies, Ancestry and Find my Past and I think got similar results

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!