Steve X2 Moderator

It's hard for me to even tell what counts as an oddity anymore, but I love 3DO stuff and have all the variations of the hardware. I guess the Panasonic ROBO 3DO is the weirdest, along with 2 variations of the M2 follow up device.
I recently picked up a Sega TeraDrive, which i guess is a bit odd.

Gamewise, probably my weird fondness for collecting multiple copies of Darius Alpha(it's a sickness )

1 person has thanked this post
Tchoin Registered User

Nothing too out of the ordinary in my collection, I guess a few oddities considering context (collecting while in Uruguay) are my boxed Panasonic Q w/ 3 Panasonic controllers + Panasonic GBA Player, and my 64DD with most games (not even going to bother for Doshin 2 or Japan Pro Golf Tour).

5 years ago I bought an NR Reader with some NR discs, but it was lost at sea, probably a castaway on some island at this moment (that's what I prefer to think rather than someone stole it at the post office).

CiDeRmAn Category Moderator

Steve X2 said:
It's hard for me to even tell what counts as an oddity anymore, but I love 3DO stuff and have all the variations of the hardware. I guess the Panasonic ROBO 3DO is the weirdest, along with 2 variations of the M2 follow up device.
I recently picked up a Sega TeraDrive, which i guess is a bit odd.

Gamewise, probably my weird fondness for collecting multiple copies of Rise of the Robots (please shoot me )

Fixed it for you!

2 people have thanked this post
Cake of Tremendous Power Registered User

CiDeRmAn said:
Fixed it for you!

I remember getting rise of the robots when I was but a youngling, around 7 or 8. At that age I was of the opinion that there was no such thing as a bad game and I just didn't "get it". Played it non stop over a weekend until the sad truth sunk in

Cake of Tremendous Power said:
I remember getting rise of the robots when I was but a youngling, around 7 or 8. At that age I was of the opinion that there was no such thing as a bad game and I just didn't "get it". Played it non stop over a weekend until the sad truth sunk in

I'm only sorry it took that long.
It was especially unfortunate that the game appeared on pretty much every media outlet and magazine cover, with extensive previews that promised much, before the reviews revealed that it was, in fact, sh1t.
Similar thing happened much later with Driv3r, it was to be this great awesome sauce title, carrying the mantle of the first two games onto the next console generation. Then, upon release, it turned out to stink like yesterdays diapers.
I think Gamesworld/Gamestop lost a fortune on that one, they ordered in a pile of them, I got an early copy from them before returning it the next day. The head man asked me why, and when I told him he went pale, realising they were going to be stuck with them.
Afaik a large number of early buyers and preorders came back, this was in the days when a legit reason to exchange a game included "not liking it"... good times!

Retr0gamer Category Moderator

There were actually a lot of reviews that said Rise of the Robots was great. Caused a bit of a storm about ethics in videogame journalism (but this time about actual ethics and not an excuse to harass people).

I actually remember playing awful games on my C64 and thinking that it wasn't the game that was crap it was me not getting it Weird to think that now when you are a lot more clued in and realise that there are people out there that will sell you **** just to get your money.

o1s1n Registered User

Or sometimes you were bought a game for your birthday that you just had to force yourself to like.

Battle of the Ballz I'm looking at you

2 people have thanked this post
Cake of Tremendous Power Registered User

Am I imagining things or did Ballz get massive coverage at the time. It was supposed to be the next biggest thing in Fighting games?

Ballz was an attempt to compete with the likes of Killer Instinct on the Snes, though the latter attempted a voxel type 3D fighter and the latter a prerendered affair.
Ballz, by all accounts, is sh1te, and KI still has it's fans.

Retr0gamer Category Moderator

Cake of Tremendous Power said:
Am I imagining things or did Ballz get massive coverage at the time. It was supposed to be the next biggest thing in Fighting games?

It was basically an attempt to do a 3D fighter like Virtua Fighter on the 16 bit systems. It was a clever bit of programming and reviewed well in a lot of publications.

In retrospect it was ****e.

Whoever thought putting fatalities in would be great is seriously misguided. It's impossible to tell what the hell is going on... just like with the rest of the game.

If you want a game like Ballz but great try Joy Mecha fight. It's a million times better and on the famicom

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!