Weepsie Registered User

average_runner said:
I never defended the driver. Relax

No, but you made up some BS and said it was law or fact.

In this case by the OP, I definitely think the cyclist is far more in the wrong. I think the OP should be slowing down, flashing amber means only proceed if it is safe to do so. It wasn't safe.

Now we can say, you can clearly see the cyclist, but as explained elsewhere peripheral vision of the driver might be different.

This is up past the paddocks in littlepace. There is some seriously crap design of cycle paths around there. They should just be rid of and be on road.

ted1 Registered User

average_runner said:
(2) When a vehicle is approaching a zebra crossing a pedestrian shall not step on to that crossing if his action is likely to cause the driver either to brake suddenly or to swerve.

From
Road Traffic General Bye-Laws

No mention of 20m. You made a statement as if it was fact , when infact it is fiction.

1 person has thanked this post
CramCycle A wholly unreasonable man

average_runner said:
Never supported the driver, I just quoted how to use a zebra crossing, something alot of people cant do in Ireland.

If a driver can't do an emergency stop he/she is obviously going too fast for that section of the road.

I didn't say you did, I understood your point about not stepping out in front of moving traffic. My point was that if the driver had been paying attention and driving reasonably that would have been a non event. He approached to fast, if driving at a normal speed and paying attention, there was more than enough time to break once the bike turned to go across. In fact, even at the speed he was driving, he should have been able to stop in time if he was in anyway awake.
Does this excuse the stupidity of the cyclist not looking or paying attention (could have been an emergency vehicle or something else). Not at all.
I always treat Zebra crossings as they were intended, if someone is clearly going for it or can make it onto it before you cross, you approach with an aim to stop and in nearly all cases, stop until you are certain it is safe to proceed. In all scenarios you approach them with caution. No matter what the rule book says, you'd fail your test here for acting in any other fashion.

average_runner Registered User

ted1 said:
No mention of 20m. You made a statement as if it was fact , when infact it is fiction.

Very true, its actually a longer distance.

"cause the driver either to brake suddenly or to swerve"

So in a 50k zone its 30 meters!!!

In a 30k zone it be close to 20m or a bit less.

The people that wrote the document were smart enough to know depending on the speed limit the braking distance changes.

Weepsie Registered User

average_runner said:

The people that wrote the document were smart enough to know depending on the speed limit the braking distance changes.

In a 30 k zone, or a 50 k zone you're supposed to be slowing down on approach to the crossing so your distance would be shorter. You're making stuff up to suit a bad argument. A bit Trumpian

ronoc Registered User

rolion said:
...for chatting on the phone,cycling the zebra and just taking the fcuking piss of the drivers !
And is not the only one that i have on my dashcam, just the one that actually behaved like is been offended by my driving style !

Guys ... a friendly note / warning : i drive a fcuking heavy machinery that cannot protect YOU when YOU behave stupid and your mum and dad waiting at home !!!

LE:
I am not going to comment on my driving style OR speed OR going on/off.
In the case that the other guy will have hit my car on the road,i will be here typing on the keyboard and his mum crying loud !
I'm putting the clip here as a warning and not as a rant over the cyclists that sometimes are drivers too,me inclusive.
AND not lastly... a pedestrian crossing does not give you / involve that you have priority aka jumping in the front of the moving car but rather a meaning that you, as a civilised person can cross the road safely in relation to other traffic participants that,unfrotunately ,that day left the crystal zebra ball in the back if his car !

Be good, cycle / drive safely !

Textbook concern trolling

ted1 Registered User

average_runner said:

Stop digging and just admit your making up fake facts.

josip Registered User

OP, was this also you driving in this?

It's from the same YouTube account.

josip said:
OP, was this also you driving in this?

It's from the same YouTube account.

MOD VOICE: We are only discussing the video and related subject area of the original post. Any other posts on that account are irrelevant to the thread.

ted1 Registered User

CramCycle said:

MOD VOICE: We are only discussing the video and related subject area of the original post. Any other posts on that account are irrelevant to the thread.

I think it's very relevant as it displays a pattern with the OP driving style which is quite concerning.

It's also the only video he has uploaded where he stripped off the speed from the bottom.

MOD VOICE: Take it to PM, as per forum rules.

Imnotthehulk Registered User

That video was a little bit terrifying.

I ain't saying the driver shouldn't have slowed down ... and my initial instinct was to give out about the motorist... but that cyclist was a moron and lucky not to get himself killed. No matter what type of crossing you're at you don't blindly go across a road without checking that it's safe.

magicbastarder Registered User

average_runner said:
Never supported the driver, I just quoted how to use a zebra crossing, something alot of people cant do in Ireland.

i once got a reply from the council about a suggestion to put a zebra crossing at castle market, which said they were not going to due to the ambiguity (i think that was the word used) it would create.

i think a lot of the issue here is that we don't use zebra crossings enough in road design, so many drivers are not familiar with them - which is then given as a reason for not using them more...

Tombo2001 Registered User

Imnotthehulk said:
That video was a little bit terrifying.

I ain't saying the driver shouldn't have slowed down ... and my initial instinct was to give out about the motorist... but that cyclist was a moron and lucky not to get himself killed. No matter what type of crossing you're at you don't blindly go across a road without checking that it's safe.

Its terrifying (I) because the driver made no effort to slowdown approaching a zebra crossing with flashing lights and (ii) because the driver doesn't seem to see it as a consideration that he should have been slowing down... judging by the OP. He is moaning because a cyclist popped out, but the reality is it could have been a child that popped out and he would have been approaching just as quick.

Typical driver attitude - we own the road, everyone else back off.

3 people have thanked this post
Tombo2001 Registered User

magicbastarder said:
i once got a reply from the council about a suggestion to put a zebra crossing at castle market, which said they were not going to due to the ambiguity (i think that was the word used) it would create.

i think a lot of the issue here is that we don't use zebra crossings enough in road design, so many drivers are not familiar with them - which is then given as a reason for not using them more...

I would disagree with that.

Every driver in the country knows what a pedestrian crossing with flashing lights mean.

Many of them choose to 'assume' no one is there......

2 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!