C3PO Registered User

Just goes to show .... you can get gobsh*tes in cars and gobsh*tes on bikes!! The problems start when they come together ...

27 people have thanked this post
Fighting Tao Registered User

I hope you went to the guards with that video. Maybe they'd like to enforce the laws on both you and the cyclist.

1 person has thanked this post
CramCycle A wholly unreasonable man

MOD VOICE: Go to the Gardai with the footage, see how well it works out. Thread Closed. Also pay attention to the bike path that is there. I'd blame the council planning before anything else. If you think this thread should reopen please PM me to discuss.

5 people have thanked this post

MOD VOICE: I recieved a few PMs and against my own judgement I am reopening the thread but under a watchful eye. Read the forum charter before posting, it may be Friday but I have been up since 3am and I don't have time for BS, breach of the forum charter will result in swift banning.

I can't think of anyway this ends well but the first person to generalise cyclists, motorists or any group that have nothing in common bar their mode of transport will get a Permaban. You can criticise the individuals in the video at will, do not attempt to identify them though, this is also a Permaban.

Council: A cyclepath that seems to disappear into thin air, no clear indication of where to go. Common sense would imply that this is one of their proposed shared space plans but no signs, unfortunately until a larger number of people put manners and safety as a priority, we still have to design the place as if everyone is a moron. I am not sure I fully blame them though as the engineer may have made the error that there is a modicum of decency among most road and path users, this unfortunately is a huge leap of faith at this moment in timeGuilty of a lack of foresight
Cyclist: Technically in the wrong but the poor layout of the cyclepath and the indicative layout implying shared space, I can see how the error is made. Still should have looked left because despite how zebra crossings should be treated, in Ireland you often have to wait as a pedestrian because a few people do not stop for them. I don't know any other country you have to be as cautious at a zebra crossing. Guilty of complacency
Motorist: Speeding, not paying attention. He may be right about the cyclist breaking the rules but in no way does this excuse the really poor driving. The driver was not paying attention and driving dangerously. Blaming the cyclist for something that would have gotten him arrested and lambasted had it been a pedestrian is just making excuses. Guilty of dangerous driving, or driving without due care and attention

4 people have thanked this post
secman Registered User

CramCycle said:
Council: A cyclepath that seems to disappear into thin air, no clear indication of where to go. Common sense would imply that this is one of their proposed shared space plans but no signs, unfortunately until a larger number of people put manners and safety as a priority, we still have to design the place as if everyone is a moron. I am not sure I fully blame them though as the engineer may have made the error that there is a modicum of decency among most road and path users, this unfortunately is a huge leap of faith at this moment in timeGuilty of a lack of foresight
Cyclist: Technically in the wrong but the poor layout of the cyclepath and the indicative layout implying shared space, I can see how the error is made. Still should have looked left because despite how zebra crossings should be treated, in Ireland you often have to wait as a pedestrian because a few people do not stop for them. I don't know any other country you have to be as cautious at a zebra crossing. Guilty of complacency
Motorist: Speeding, not paying attention. He may be right about the cyclist breaking the rules but in no way does this excuse the really poor driving. The driver was not paying attention and driving dangerously. Blaming the cyclist for something that would have gotten him arrested and lambasted had it been a pedestrian is just making excuses. Guilty of dangerous driving, or driving without due care and attention

And the moral of the story is " 3 wrongs don't make a right "

average_runner Registered User

_Brian said:
From that clip the driver wasn't paying enough attention to someone approaching the pedestrian crossing.

Now they're not for cyclists but does that allow an idiot driver to mow them down - no it doesn't.

The type of aggressive driving displayed here is a potential "dangerous driving" from what
I can see. The cyclist and vehicle driver are being equally inconsiderate and dickish on their behaviour.

Sorry but there is a law here. You cannot just go.straight out on the crossing, you got to ensure there is no car within 20m of the crossing. Don't see the issue with it been a cyclist using it, he/she just didn't look

Chuchote Registered User

Classic example of "there's a pair of them in it"!

OP: I've noticed that many drivers fail to take their foot off the accelerator when coming up to a place where they may expect hazards - junctions, pedestrian crossings, schools…

I've also noticed that many drivers who see me turning right on the bike as they're coming towards me speed up rather than slowing down.

You don't want to be the one waking up at three in the morning with someone's death replaying itself in your head…

2 people have thanked this post

average_runner said:
Sorry but there is a law here. You cannot just go.straight out on the crossing, you got to ensure there is no car within 20m of the crossing. Don't see the issue with it been a cyclist using it, he/she just didn't look
Just because you could argue the car had right of way (although you would fail a test based on that driving), the car is approaching a hazard and should be preparing to stop, just in case. Much the same way when a light has been green on approach, you don't keep gunning it as if it will stay green, you prepare yourself that it may change.

Chuchote said:
Classic example of "there's a pair of them in it"!
+1

ted1 Registered User

average_runner said:

20m I didn't see that in the SI. Don't post opinions as facts.

mcgratheoin Registered User

CramCycle said:
Just because you could argue the car had right of way (although you would fail a test based on that driving), the car is approaching a hazard and should be preparing to stop, just in case. Much the same way when a light has been green on approach, you don't keep gunning it as if it will stay green, you prepare yourself that it may change.

Yep - I'd say that a collision in this situation would probably be similar to the car/bike on the footpath court case here. There will be some proportion of liability attached to both parties.

ted1 said:
20m I didn't see that in the SI. Don't post opinions as facts.

(2) When a vehicle is approaching a zebra crossing a pedestrian shall not step on to that crossing if his action is likely to cause the driver either to brake suddenly or to swerve.

From
Road Traffic General Bye-Laws

CramCycle said:

+1

Never supported the driver, I just quoted how to use a zebra crossing, something alot of people cant do in Ireland.

If a driver can't do an emergency stop he/she is obviously going too fast for that section of the road.

Weepsie Registered User

average_runner said:
(2) When a vehicle is approaching a zebra crossing a pedestrian shall not step on to that crossing if his action is likely to cause the driver either to brake suddenly or to swerve.

From
Road Traffic General Bye-Laws

That's not what you said. Plus if a driver with 20metres has to suddenly brake, they're driving too fast or not paying attention

Weepsie said:
That's not what you said. Plus if a driver with 20metres has to suddenly brake, they're driving too fast or not paying attention

I never defended the driver. Relax

Also its more than likely a 50k speed limit, reaction and braking time in that zone is close to 30m, looking at the video he stopped with 5-8m so was probably doing 30K.

Yes he should of paid more attention, but he/she didnt expect someone to go out in front of them without checking.

We just need to be careful at zebra crossings and not just walk out on them which happens alot.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!