Nomis21 Registered User

Enda Kenny looks like he is on his way out.

Leo Varadkar is the bookies favourite to replace him.

Is Ireland ready for its first openly gay Taoiseach?

Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir in Iceland was the first openly gay person in the world to be elected head of government in 2009.

judeboy101 Registered User

Isn't Michael d Higgins openly gay?

RainMakerToo Registered User

Ready for a gay Taoiseach - sure
Ready for Leo as Taoiseach - not a chance

34 people have thanked this post

I was just thinking about this earlier.

In all honesty I've heard nothing said from any quarter about the fact the Varadkar is gay. People seem to like or dislike him for entirely other reasons. Say what you like about his policies but he is a very good politician. He knows how and when to answer questions. His policies in health weren't the best but they certainly weren't the worst. He's done very good things in the DSP if you ask me. Not perfect but then no-one is. He's far easier to listen to than Coveney.

15 people have thanked this post

judeboy101 said:

Lol what? The man has a wife and kids and has been happily married to said wife for many many many years.

17 people have thanked this post
DredFX Registered User

RainMakerToo said:

I'm sure the left-wing media would respect such a sentiment and not skew it into a symptom of a homophobic Ireland.

4 people have thanked this post
derekeire Registered User

I think at this point in time no one actually cares about his sexuality. His politics and performance in government is what people will care about. He is significantly better than most others who might qualify for the job.

9 people have thanked this post
L1011 Moderator

I think he'd be Europe's first non-white head of Government also if this came to pass.

Problem is FF are unlikely to support FG if they have someone more electable in charge - that's the biggest potential roadblock.

2 people have thanked this post
titan18 Registered User

Wouldn't even cross my mind about him being gay. Think he's one of the most qualified there to do it

5 people have thanked this post
Nomis21 Registered User

I actually think that being Gay will add to his appeal. At least guaranteed 10% of the vote for that reason alone I would think.

More than that though his election will show the World that being Gay in Ireland is no bar to career success.

coolbeans Registered User

DredFX said:
RainMakerToo said:

I'm sure the left-wing media would respect such a sentiment and not skew it into a symptom of a homophobic Ireland.

Ah stop. This isn't Fox News or Breitbart comments section. You'll be calling us all "libtards" next. ,ðŸ˜

11 people have thanked this post
Nomis21 Registered User

judeboy101 said:

He didn't come out yet. Don't hold your breath.

coolbeans Registered User

L1011 said:
I think he'd be Europe's first non-white head of Government also if this came to pass.

Problem is FF are unlikely to support FG if they have someone more electable in charge - that's the biggest potential roadblock.

Looks fairly white to me...

1 person has thanked this post

coolbeans said:
Looks fairly white to me...

His Dad is Indian. I'm fairly sure that he embraces that part of his culture.

2 people have thanked this post
ForestFire Registered User

Don't see any issue or why we should even be discussing it?

This is why there are so many ...isim's in the world, social media and bringing it into discussions for no reasons...just get on with it

8 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!