Boards.ie: Niamh Boards.ie Community Manager

Our next AMA volunteer is a recovered intravenous drug user. He continued to work and maintain his job during a time when he was addicted to both heroin and cocaine.
With the announcement recently of a new intravenous room in Dublin city, drug use and addiction is currently a widely discussed topic in the media.

Our volunteer is clean for a number of years and would like to answer any questions you have about his experiences.

34 people have thanked this post
marienbad Registered User

I am an alcoholic myself and sober many years so I can kind of identify is a small way perhaps .

Congratulations on getting your life back on track.

12 people have thanked this post
Neon_Lights Registered User

It may sound obvious or a bit blunt, but I've always struggled to fathom why a person would start in the first place?

18 people have thanked this post
buck65 Registered User

Can you describe the high from heroin, is it totally doped and makes you useless or can you function to some degree?

recyclops Registered User

Congratulations on getting clean and getting back on track

It seems whilst you were addicted to drugs you tried to maintain a regular enough life, what would your opinion be of users who seem to be a burden on society through either anti social behavior or theft, do you think these people are selfish or they can be helped and hopefully get over their own addiction?

1 person has thanked this post
tara83 Registered User

Congratulations on your recovery, that can't have been easy.

The opening post mentions you continued to work throughout this time. Was it suspected at work, did you have performance issues etc?

Also in your experience are there a lot of similar functioning heroin addicts? In most people's mind including my own a heroin user is associated with what we see on the streets

Thanks for taking the time to do an AMA

Harambe Registered User

Was your work directly affected by your habit? And did your colleagues know about it?

jonnycivic Flaming Ban Hammer Titan

What was your drug timeline? And what drugs were the worst for you and why?

i.e. you started smoking hash at 15, moved to x when you were 16 etc.

dar100 Registered User

I look forward to hearing this persons opinions!!

Robxxx7 Registered User

Do you think you have an addictive personality ? do you think you would have been addicted to something regardless of whether it was drugs etc ?
Well done on kicking the habit ...

denis160 Registered User

Do you still maintain the same circle of friends that you did when you were using?
Did your family know about it?
Were you in a relationship, if so was your partner a user?
What age did you start using at?
Were they your first drug of choice?
Do you find it hard to stay sober when you get stressed or over whelmed?

3 people have thanked this post
dulpit Registered User

How did you manage to work while addicted? Did you use while working, or only afterwards?

Congrats on being clean by the way!

Samuel T. Cogley Registered User

Do you think blanket legalisation/decriminalisation would help or hinder? Do you think it would have been a factor in you getting involved in the first place and how about getting clean?

I'm a recovered drug user, AMA Verified representative

Neon_Lights said:
It may sound obvious or a bit blunt, but I've always struggled to fathom why a person would start in the first place?

Hi, It just sort of happened over a number of years, some call it progression.

11 people have thanked this post
I'm a recovered drug user, AMA Verified representative

buck65 said:
Can you describe the high from heroin, is it totally doped and makes you useless or can you function to some degree?

Yea it is great, everything you hear about, doesn't last long though, it is very possible to function, I did for many years, after a while though for me the feeling of heaven left, and it turned very mundane.

P.S Thank you Niamh for organising this

Do you think blanket legalisation/decriminalisation would help or hinder? Do you think it would have been a factor in you getting involved in the first place and how about getting clean? ?

I think a blanket legislation/ decriminalisation is the only answer to helping the situation. It is never going to go away, and all the punishments in the world will not stop someone using if they do not want to. I got clean because I was broken by it, I could of carried on...

37 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!