Rokta Registered User

Kaisr Sose said:
I would second your suggestion re a proper light. It so irresponsible and discourteous on other road users to use a light that is not fit or designed for use on public roads. That they are cheap or you can get batteries from old laptops or vaping things does not mean they make great bike lights.

Well, I agree, you have to find one that works for you but does not endanger other people, these things are there so you are seen and can see. The two extremes, no lights or the total over the top 3000 lumen football field illumination devices in strobe mode on a handlebar that are actually sold as dedicated bicycle lights albeit more for nightly off-road use.

In the end you have to find a solution that is reasonable, I found mine

Kaisr Sose Registered User

Rokta said:
Well, I agree, you have to find one that works for you but does not endanger other people, these things are there so you are seen and can see. The two extremes, no lights or the total over the top 3000 lumen football field illumination devices in strobe mode on a handlebar that are actually sold as dedicated bicycle lights albeit more for nightly off-road use.

In the end you have to find a solution that is reasonable, I found mine

Grand so! But I don't see the reasonableness in using anything with a powerful non diffused beam on the road. (If yours is diffused /has a wide then you have indeed)

Said as a cyclist that understands the importance of good lights on dark roads and as a motorist that has encountered lots of cyclists using lights that are dangerous to other road users.

Good bike lights are no longer expensive and using something else instead does not make sense. Of course, if the law was clearer on a min and max output from cycle lights, it would help all road users.

T-Maxx Registered User

^
Time that we adopt a similar stance as Germany indeed.

2 people have thanked this post
Kaisr Sose Registered User

T-Maxx said:
^
Time that we adopt a similar stance as Germany indeed.

Indeed. The benchmark (Switzerland too)

Rokta Registered User

Funny enough I am German

If you refer to the German 10 Lux regulation, that is the minimum (!) output at 10 meters a light has to achieve, so if it has a 20% angle beam you are talking about 100 lumens. The only restriction is that 3.4 degrees above the brightest spot the output cannot be higher than 2 lux, so actually your bike light should be rather focused and not to wide in order to not blind oncoming traffic. There is probably some regulation at what angle that light has to be mounted on the bike.

So according to German regulations diffused light is not acceptable unless it adheres to the above. Strobe lighting is also a no go.

However riding with a laser beam as a light is silly too, and mine is not as I prefer to see in front of the road to avoid potholes, a tiny over-illuminated spot on the road does not help.

My rear light though is not street legal in Germany, probably due to the flashing mode, I have to check again on that.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!