sullzz Registered User

dahat said:
Any joy at the Des Hanlon folks?

Same orwell lad who rode off the front for the win in newbridge took the win here too .

2 people have thanked this post
dahat Registered User

sullzz said:
Same orwell lad who rode off the front for the win in newbridge took the win here too .

That's him upgraded then. Club mate took.2nd in A4 and upgraded also.

1 person has thanked this post
crazy_kenny Registered User

dahat said:

Blew up spectacularly on long drag second time around. My power is up this year but my endurance is not where it should be.

dahat Registered User

crazy_kenny said:
Blew up spectacularly on long drag second time around. My power is up this year but my endurance is not where it should be.

Ouch..Plenty to work on then.

Miklos Registered User

I was going grand but got a flat on the long drag which put the tin hat on my race. Shame but that's racing I guess.

Seadin Registered User

Miklos said:
I was going grand but got a flat on the long drag which put the tin hat on my race. Shame but that's racing I guess.

I'm having the same problem as you too.

Miklos Registered User

Seadin said:

There was a fair bit of grit and gravel on the road from all the rain, I heard some lad behind me's tube full on explode.

InTheAttic Registered User

Seadin said:

Do Vo2 sessions to build up your heart and lungs. Endurance won't help with getting you up a drag at a fast pace, if you already have the power.

JK.BMC Registered User

Was spectating/supporting today; 2nd time up the drag the A4 leaders were travelling harder than the A3s. Serious power in this A4 group but it was still interesting that a group of about 50 came to the finish together; leaving aside the strong juniors, I would reckon that any of the top A4 riders would easily compete in the A3, so those upgraded are probably riders to watch this season.
Really great to watch the long line of suffering each time up the long drag- very few races in the country are like the 'Des' and another great race today

harringtonp Registered User

dahat said:

Was happy to finish it (A3 version). Bit short on miles and popped out the back 400m from the top of the climb on the last lap. Long race. Weather turned out way better than what it was when driving to it. Just 2 incidents in the A3 race I'm aware of where riders came down.

harringtonp Registered User

JK.BMC said:
Was spectating/supporting today; 2nd time up the drag the A4 leaders were travelling harder than the A3s. Serious power in this A4 group but it was still interesting that a group of about 50 came to the finish together; leaving aside the strong juniors, I would reckon that any of the top A4 riders would easily compete in the A3, so those upgraded are probably riders to watch this season.
Really great to watch the long line of suffering each time up the long drag- very few races in the country are like the 'Des' and another great race today

Guy I drove down with had a mechanical on the first section of second lap and turned around to go back. He was very surprised at how soon he met the A4s. He turned around again and finished the lap with them and about 6 other A3s. The A3 race was fast at times but on several occasions the race stalled to almost a complete standstill. First time I've seen this happen so much in a race.

dahat Registered User

Early season A4 lads aren't so bad it seems.

Hopefully when it settles down a bit and fileds get a little smaller it will help lads like myself get a pt or two on the board.

ballyharpat Registered User

harringtonp said:
Guy I drove down with had a mechanical on the first section of second lap and turned around to go back. He was very surprised at how soon he met the A4s. He turned around again and finished the lap with them and about 6 other A3s. The A3 race was fast at times but on several occasions the race stalled to almost a complete standstill. First time I've seen this happen so much in a race.

It was stalled as we soft pedalled at the front, I had a team mate up in the break from 30km, so for about 5k, I soft pedalled and the same with the guys from powerhouse, when they had a few minutes gap, then we were able to lay down again, I was up in the split after that so I dunno what happened, but a team mate was still back there and said a lot of it was just riding around in zone 2-I flatted at 78k, I'd done what I wanted to do and had buried myself, it will pay off hopefully in the next few races.

miller_63 Registered User

It was one tough race that, after a week and half off with flu I knew i was in trouble after the second time up the hill....I got back onto the coat tails of the bunch after a mad descent. Up until that I felt ok, I would challenge a lot of the guys who have been in A3 a while to come back down and get out of A4.....

ballyharpat Registered User

We had a member 2nd last week in ras luimni and he was 3rd the week before, he's a good rider, but wouldn't be good enough to mix it up in a break or chase group for a3, he'd finish in the pack alright, but so do all decent a3's, it's another thing to be able to attack and hold it or to keep attacking.

miller_63 said:
It was one tough race that, after a week and half off with flu I knew i was in trouble after the second time up the hill....I got back onto the coat tails of the bunch after a mad descent. Up until that I felt ok, I would challenge a lot of the guys who have been in A3 a while to come back down and get out of A4.....

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!