Alfasudcrazy Registered User

What sort of a FTP should I have for A4 racing. Not so that I win everything but just to not make a fool of myself. My current FTP is a bit weak at 208 watts but if I knew what was required I would have some idea where I need to get to as regards FTP.

mathie Registered User

What weight are you?
It's watts per kg that you need to worry about

I read this article a while ago and found it interesting ...
http://www.stickybottle.com/coaching/ras-county-man-sets-out-how-much-power-is-needed-to-survive-2/

So thankfully the Ras is not the same as A4

Road racing is not just watts per kg.
It'll depend on a lot of things really.
In A4 specifically it generally comes down to a bunch sprint.
Do you have the legs and head for it after two hours in the saddle?
Have you been working on the front or hiding?
So many factors

1 person has thanked this post
thekooman Registered User

You might survive... you might not. its depends on your efficiency in the group and on the bike.

if you want to be on the front and giving it a lash you might need to have a power to weight of 4 (208w / 4 means you need to weigh 52kg) or if you want to try and hang on it would need to be 3 (208w / 3 means you need to weigh 70kg).

thats roughly an idea. i'm 3.9-ish (300 / 76) and can hang on in A3.
Really.. its all about the sprint and been cute in finding a position in the last 10km and keeping it.
Give it a go... but for god's sake keep your line and your wheel in the bunch!

good reads:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Cyclists-Training-Bible-Joe-Friel/1934030201
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Training-Racing-Power-Meter-Hunter/dp/1934030554/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1485273865&sr=1-6

Beasty Administrator

Moved from Cycling Training Logs (as it's not a Cycling Training Log)

Lumen Registered User

250W is only enough if you're jockey build.
300W is plenty unless you're heavy, and even then you can target flatter races.

Most would be somewhere between the two.

dahat Registered User

I'm heading A4 racing this year with a rough FTP of 220 but I am fat ass lad at 99kg, likely be eaten alive but it's worth a shot I think.

My FTP is done via virtual calculating from a turbo with Traineroad but I'm hoping to get access to a watt bike somewhere to get an accurate measure.

Watts per kg is coming in at 2.05 but I think I'd ride better than that if I'm being honest.

dragratchet Registered User

its worth giving a few races a go with an expectation of struggling for the first couple. its very hard to say 260watts at a certain weight will see you through a race. depends on the course and the field that pitches up on the day (enter the juniors). i've raced a3 events where i've been hanging on for dear life whilst absolutely burying myself and races where i could have watched a few youtubes on my phone as we went around. get stuck in and see how well/badly you do... then build from there.

do some club league racing first of course to develop some bunch skills which are a lot more important starting out than wattages imo .

2 people have thanked this post
dahat Registered User

dragratchet said:
its worth giving a few races a go with an expectation of struggling for the first few. its very hard to say 260watts at a certain weight will see you through. depends on on the course and the field that pitches up on the day (enter the juniors). i've raced a3 events where ive been hanging on for dear life whilst absolutely burying myself and races where i could have watched a few youtubes on my phone as we went around. get stuck in and see how well/badly you do... then build from there.

do some club league racing first of course to develop some bunch skills which are a lot more important starting out than wattages imo .

Excellent advise, I learned alot from two club leagues last year.

Beasty Administrator

Ability to ride in a group, hold a wheel and be in the right place at the right time are probably more important than absolute power at the A4 level. As already mentioned learning a bit about racing in a club league is probably the best way to learn the ropes (unless you want to try something like track racing at Sundrive, which will teach you a lot more in a controlled and relatively safe environment)

TGD Registered User

Ya, it's all about w/kg + strategy. I won a Cat 4 with about 230 W/FTP.

Beasty Administrator

TGD said:
Ya, it's all about w/kg + strategy. I won a Cat 4 with about 230 W/FTP.

I disagree fundamentally on the w/kg point. That certainly has relevance in hilly races but on relatively flat circuits, unless you're going to try and make a break (where you may well be putting out twice as much power as someone sitting in the middle of a bunch) it's more down to tactical nouse and good luck.

3 people have thanked this post
TCRDublin Registered User

I think people are getting too hung up on FTP, it's just a number for setting your training zones. If you're starting out racing, just enjoy the experience of it, good bad or indifferent. You will have a lot to learn. I'm starting out on my first open road racing season in A4 this year as well. I have been following a structured training plan for months for the 2017 season and my FTP is 370 and I'm 67kg. But that doesn't mean I'm going to win anything. I have to learn the intricacies of racing such as handling / conserving energy / when to attack etc...

5 people have thanked this post
Kaisr Sose Registered User

Beasty said:
I disagree fundamentally on the w/kg point. That certainly has relevance in hilly races but on relatively flat circuits, unless you're going to try and make a break (where you may well be putting out twice as much power as someone sitting in the middle of a bunch) it's more down to tactical nouse and good luck.

I agree with that. At my best, I was 320/330w ftp/obla. I was putting out 5.4w/kg but in flat races getting no good results against guys at 350/360+. On really hilly races, I was up there in the lead groups. The longer the climb the better. The races were rarely hilly enough though! Getting in breaks was hard on flat races as the bigger guys had more explosive power than me and w/kg is not a big factor on the flat. Explosive power for 1-2mins, is generally the deciding factor in races.

To the OP
Seeing your strava rides and avg speeds - I think you will do ok at A4 and if you get that 99kg, going south, you definitely will!

niceonetom Registered User

TCRDublin said:
... my FTP is 370 and I'm 67kg.

If that's correct and you're not out of A4 by Easter then you are doing something very very wrong. Lads do the Rás with less than that.

14 people have thanked this post
dahat Registered User

TCRDublin said:
I think people are getting too hung up on FTP, it's just a number for setting your training zones. If you're starting out racing, just enjoy the experience of it, good bad or indifferent. You will have a lot to learn. I'm starting out on my first open road racing season in A4 this year as well. I have been following a structured training plan for months for the 2017 season and my FTP is 370 and I'm 67kg. But that doesn't mean I'm going to win anything. I have to learn the intricacies of racing such as handling / conserving energy / when to attack etc...

Hope I don't meet you at any race in turn up at!

You should progress quickly from A4 with that kind of FTP figure.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!