Ace Attorney Registered User

Im super excited for this loved splatoon on my wiiu, im hoping they expand the single player version for this one, it seemed a little short, looking forward to the new weapons and specials, the duelies look amazing!

4 people have thanked this post

New Stage for splatoon 2 revealed looks deadly

http://wwg.com/2017/01/27/new-splatoon-2-stage-showcased-in-screenshots

1 person has thanked this post
/\/ollog Registered User

Voice chat confirmed.

...Via smart device...

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170201_2e.pdf page 19

Banjo Registered User

I just can't see how you do Voice Chat on your smart device and have in-game audio - which is incredibly important in a game like Splatoon, if only so you can synchronize your Kid-Now / Squid-Now antics with your team... Some sort of proprietary headset that bluetooths to your phone and cables to your Switch and then blends the feeds?

But it sounds like it's going to be either/or, or figure-it-out-yourself. And normally you wait for someone to put their money down before you stick two fingers up at them and run away giggling with your filthy lucre.

Star Lord Registered User

Yeah, I can't see how that'll work, but I'll wait and see how they implement it before flinging dirt at their theoretical plans!

/\/ollog Registered User

Banjo said:
I just can't see how you do Voice Chat on your smart device and have in-game audio - which is incredibly important in a game like Splatoon, if only so you can synchronize your Kid-Now / Squid-Now antics with your team... Some sort of proprietary headset that bluetooths to your phone and cables to your Switch and then blends the feeds?

But it sounds like it's going to be either/or, or figure-it-out-yourself. And normally you wait for someone to put their money down before you stick two fingers up at them and run away giggling with your filthy lucre.

Audio streams to the phone obviously. Then you add in the voice over it. Or the audio streams to the switch along with the voice audio. Perfectly doable. This is Nintendo though who knows.

Andrew76 Moderator

/\/ollog said:
Audio streams to the phone obviously. Then you add in the voice over it. Or the audio streams to the switch along with the voice audio. Perfectly doable. This is Nintendo though who knows.

It's a bit of a weird decision though, I don't buy that rubbish from Reggie about having to carry around a 'bulky gamer headset'. And you'd wonder why nobody has ever done it this way before. What's wrong with using some form of headset with a mic?

/\/ollog Registered User

Andrew76 said:
It's a bit of a weird decision though, I don't buy that rubbish from Reggie about having to carry around a 'bulky gamer headset'. And you'd wonder why nobody has ever done it this way before. What's wrong with using some form of headset with a mic?

Yeah. It's a dumb decision if it's not on the console itself. Obtuse Nintendo being obtuse.

Thats disappointing if true, i would at least like the option of not using voice chat with strangers, but im still holding out for nintys offical online announcment.

Banjo Registered User

/\/ollog said:

Well you say that, but what I'm struggling with is why the phone is needed at all. If you're streaming Switch audio to your phone, you're abdicating responsibility for audio fidelity to a 3rd party device that could be anything, and while that has some awesome repercussions if you have a bunch of Anker portable speakers dotted around the room, if you have a crappy Moto G gen 1 your Switch experience is not going to be all that impressive. If you're streaming audio from the phone to the switch, where's the benefit in involving the phone at all? It's just additional overhead. Having a separate UI? And if you're separating audio, relying on the phone for voice independently, then the phone's not adding much Nintendo-specific that you can't already do with 3rd party apps and a little organisation, and what you are relying on it to add I don't think i *would* rely on it being capable of given Ninty's patchy past with online offerings.

Anyway, let's wait and see

/\/ollog Registered User

It's probably because DeNA know how to make phone apps but not Nintendo apps.

sligeach Registered User

As soon as I heard you've to use a phone, I thought to myself this has something to do with kids. Nintendo are so, what's the word, paranoid, maybe that's not it, frightened of bad publicity or a scandal involving kids and the internet. This way, I think gives more protection and traceability should something go wrong. They can distance themselves and say it's a third party phone app separate from the Switch itself, perhaps. There must be some reason why they've made it more awkward and convoluted than it's previously been or needs to be.

Andrew76 Moderator

sligeach said:
As soon as I heard you've to use a phone, I thought to myself this has something to do with kids. Nintendo are so, what's the word, paranoid, maybe that's not it, frightened of bad publicity or a scandal involving kids and the internet. This way, I think gives more protection and traceability should something go wrong. They can distance themselves and say it's a third party phone app separate from the Switch itself, perhaps. There must be some reason why they've made it more awkward and convoluted than it's previously been or needs to be.

I don't think that's the case. It's not a 3rd party app, it'll be an official Nintendo companion app, remember you're paying for it with your yearly sub. No chance they could distance themselves from it. But I don't think they need to worry about that kind of thing - the welfare of kids online is the responsibility of parents, not Nintendo, especially if you allow your child to have a mobile phone.

It's awkward and convoluted because they're thinking when it comes to online is backwards.

/\/ollog Registered User

sligeach said:

If that was true surely they'd let us talk to strangers in game, right?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!