sligeach Registered User

Super Mario Odyssey - Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kcdRBHM7kM

It's due out around Christmas this year.

2 people have thanked this post
super_furry Registered User

It's Mario so it's going to be great, but I can't be the only one to get a whiff of Sonic Adventure off the city levels, right?

Retr0gamer Category Moderator

super_furry said:
It's Mario so it's going to be great, but I can't be the only one to get a whiff of Sonic Adventure off the city levels, right?

I hope not, Sonic Adventure is rubbish (sorry Dreamcast fans, it is).

Also this is 100% running on the Xenoblade X/Zelda BotW engine. Looks very like it and I've a knack for guessing engines. Could mean levels that are a lot more open and massive.

chrislad Registered User

super_furry said:

I thought the same when I saw the real people. Hopefully, there's a reason for it. It's a Mario game. It's been a long, long, long time since there's a been a Mario game that's been terrible , and I certainly doubt it will approach Sonic levels of chronic disappointment and disgust.

sligeach Registered User

New in-game Super Mario Odyssey footage showing Mario's moves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTvAQcQo3iE

5 people have thanked this post
Corholio Registered User

I think the city levels look quite different and fresh to be honest. People have called for Mario games to switch it up a bit over the past few years and this looked refreshing to be honest. Being made by Tokyo EAD too so I've no reservations that this will be another high quality game.

1 person has thanked this post
RobbingBandit Registered User

I retract my statement from the switch thread, this is not sonic adventure come again more like Jet Set Radio with a hint of Crazy Taxi, all in all it looks awesome, nice to see Mario home in New York, Bob Hoskins is smiling somewhere.

Ace Attorney Registered User

stolen from reddit.

Super Mario Odyssey coming Holdays 2017

4 people have thanked this post
Osmosis Jones Registered User

It's not even the idea of Mario being in New York that I don't like, it's just really really ugly. The rest of the game looks fantastic too.

sryanbruen Registered User

I'm pretty excited for Super Mario Odyssey especially given how different it seems from previous Mario games.

CiDeRmAn Category Moderator

I'm excited because it looks like a change from the Mario 3D World/Land games, as good as they were they weren't a patch on the Galaxy titles.

Ridley Registered User

CiDeRmAn said:
I'm excited because it looks like a change from the Mario 3D World/Land games, as good as they were they weren't a patch on the Galaxy titles.

Fair point, I thought, from someone elsewhere on the interwebs that 3D World was more of a sidestep than one forwards. Odyssey does seem to be going for The Next Mario in a way 3D World didn't. Though I guess after Galaxy there may have been a conscious decision to ride on nostalgia to avoid unfair comparisons.

sligeach Registered User

Super Mario Odyssey ANALYSIS - Reveal Trailer (Secrets & Easter Eggs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e53zdoadv0

Mr.Saturn Registered User

I'm really hoping the realistic models end up on the cutting room floor and we're seeing them in some sort of beta-reveal video ten years later. It is jarring to the point of being creepy, a la the aforementioned Sonic stuff.

CiDeRmAn Category Moderator

The problem for Sonic wasn't the setting but the terrible gameplay in the 3D levels, a problem that is ongoing.
Mario titles have been the master of the 3D setting, so I trust the storytelling to take care of the "realistic" environment the little plumber finds himself in.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!