unkel Category Moderator

Cheers Lenny. Mins and texts valid in the USA too?

Lenny Tallaght Scumbag

unkel said:
Cheers Lenny. Mins and texts valid in the USA too?

i havent used mine yet, but i think the mins/texts will only be to UK numbers,
what my plan to do was divert my mobile to my virgin landline, then divert my virgin landline(i have unlimited calls to uk numbers) to the uk mobile

1 person has thanked this post
Toast Registered User

wotzgoingon said:
I was the same when I was in New York. Couldn't get a LTE connection due to having a European phone as they use different bands over there. You can get international phones but they are rare. All the most popular phones sell to different regions.

The bands are different but phones that can use both are not as uncommon these days.

https://willmyphonework.net/ will let you know. AFAIK iPhones 6 up are good for LTE anywhere.

The bigger issue these days is 4G roaming agreements between carriers are still lagging behind. If your phone can do 4G in the States and you're not getting it in NYC it is likely because your sim carrier and roaming network carrier haven't an agreement (or you're not on a plan that supports it.)

I've said it before in this thread but local sims are the best choice for speed in the states (though roaming 3g will do most).

sibersha Registered User

Heading to the NY for a few days next month then off to the Dominican Republic.

DR not listed as the 71 available countries available to roam with three.
Assuming if I get a card, it will work in US and I won't be able to connect to a network in DR?

johnnykilo Registered User

Lenny said:
I bought mine here, slighty cheaper than my memory and it has mins and texts too
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F311750610913

Just to note the one listed above only lasts for 30 days, and I think as mentioned the free texts and calls are only to UK Numbers as far as I know. Pretty sure this one is listed on MyMemory too.

But it's probably the data only one (which I believe lasts 12 months so you might get a second trip out of it) that most people are interested in, it's the one which has been discussed for most of this thread and I used it myself last summer with no issues.

ozmo Registered User

OP offer offer says Domestic only- we will have some Irish mobiles with us in the group- are there other similar offers that will let you phone roaming mobiles.
For use in Florida and really need the data- even 1g- for maps and stuff.

theoneeyedman Registered User

Does the 3 data sim have to be activated or anything, can it be activated here or outside the UK?

Atlantic Dawn Registered User

theoneeyedman said:
Does the 3 data sim have to be activated or anything, can it be activated here or outside the UK?

Can be activated here, basically works out of the box. I'd recommend registering it on Three.co.uk so that you can see how much balance is left on it.

Kenny Powers Registered User

Vodafone 2.99€ per day 200MB data and 1000min/SMS per day. Worked for me in Canada a few years back no issues.

shamrock65 Registered User

Hi

Whats the best sim to get to make calls from the USA and send texts and use Data can i get a sim in Ireland or do i need to get one from the Uk sorry if this has been posted before but i just keep reading about Data Sims none that has all

Regards
John

Atlantic Dawn Registered User

shamrock65 said:
Hi

Whats the best sim to get to make calls from the USA and send texts and use Data can i get a sim in Ireland or do i need to get one from the Uk sorry if this has been posted before but i just keep reading about Data Sims none that has all

Regards
John

A standard Vodafone SIM when opted in to Red Roaming will give you unlimited calls and texts and 200MB per day data for €3 a day, probably best option for an Irish SIM.

https://n.vodafone.ie/support/mobile/travelling-abroad.html

wavert Registered User

Lenny
I bought mine here, slighty cheaper than my memory and it has mins and texts too

Did you manage to get this working? Just wondering how you purchased the add on. I see it days to dial 444 but I assume this only works in the UK.

bliger Registered User

Lenny said:
i havent used mine yet, but i think the mins/texts will only be to UK numbers,
what my plan to do was divert my mobile to my virgin landline, then divert my virgin landline(i have unlimited calls to uk numbers) to the uk mobile

Did you manage divert from virgin to uk mobile? I tried most networks but its only possible to divert to irish number.

raytaxi Registered User

Using simple mobile bring your own phone sim kit at moment in states. 99c for sim top up by 25$ gives 3Gb of data unlimited calls and texts plus I can call home to 15 different numbers landline or mobile all included.
https://shop.simplemobile.com/shop/en/simplemobile/simcards/sm-byop-mini-sim-tri-punch is the sim and just bought 25$ topup which was to include 1 Gb data but offer increased to 3 and seems to be part of t-mobile.

2 people have thanked this post
unkel Category Moderator

In the USA now. Got EUR50 't mobile unlimited 4G data and calls and texts for a month and its perfect. The whole family tethers on it, I had 7 devices connected to it yesterday

Have it in my dual sim phone so I can still make ant take business calls on my Irish number

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!