brownswiss Registered User

Going to replace sheeted gates with sliding doors. I will need two sliding doors on each end of the shed. Openings are about 12' wide by 10' high . Can this be grant aided under safety or is it actually worth applying for a grant ?

Thanks

ganmo Registered User

Sliding doors were covered under the safety tams, got one done here. I think safety tams are in the current lot

1 person has thanked this post
Who2 Registered User

If your anyway practical you'll have them welded up and sheeted in a day and around 300 materials each.

Who2 said:
If your anyway practical you'll have them welded up and sheeted in a day and around 300 materials each.

Thanks... Might take ME a week so. Are you saying €300 would cover a 12' opening made up of two 6' doors. Hardly worth looking for a grant so is it ? Where is best value in heavy duty sliding gear at the moment ?

Who2 Registered User

I made up two 11 x 11 foots with the heavy duty runners for 600 materials. Inside sheeted up four ft with flat sheets I had already.if your not good with a welder you'd be better off getting someone to make it up.

Who2 said:
I made up two 11 x 11 foots with the heavy duty runners for 600 materials. Inside sheeted up four ft with flat sheets I had already.if your not good with a welder you'd be better off getting someone to make it up.

Do you mind sending me a link to the runners & where you got them. I hope I can buy the material around here for that sort of money. I buy in Ballaghderren and I think I am paying 30% more than if I was a professional welder

Muckit Registered User

Sorry for hopping on this thread OP but no point starting another.

I have an existing set of sliding doors on slatted shed but runners gone stiff. They are up 20 years. Should I replace track and rollers for comfort and who2 have you a link to good spot to get them.

Thanks

farawaygrass Registered User

Muckit said:

I have an existing set of sliding doors on slatted shed but runners gone stiff. They are up 20 years. Should I replace track and rollers for comfort and who2 have you a link to good spot to get them.

Thanks

We had to replace rollers only, got them in the local hardware so probably just standard rollers that matched the track. Doors up 15 years and had to replace twice if not three times already

Muckit said:

Thanks
. I was in a similar situation and eventually replaced all the sliding gear. It was a big job as there were 3 doors on the shed gable The opening was about 38' I think. The two heaviest doors were always difficult to slide and then rust kicked in. I do not have a link as I got the gear from the guy who originally erected shed and doors but the gear & price was similar to the heaviest track & rollers that archers in Ballina stock. The new gear is way heavier than the original. In future I will always go for the best gear available as there is no comfort in using the light stuff

GERMAN ROCKS Registered User

Muckit said:

Thanks

could you chance plastering the rollers with grease first or else oiling them to see does it make any difference before replacing them?

Who2 Registered User

Bought mine directly off an engineeering firm up north. I can't put up their number as he doesn't really sell to the public but the sliding gear should be available in most hardwares. There's three different grades as far as I'm aware.

I got track & running gear from this guy in 2014. Found him sound to deal with..http://www.slidingdoortracks.ie/.

Attie Registered User

Muckit said:

Thanks

Muckit
Make sure that the doors are properly adjusted ( not sliding on the ground )
If rails are not rotten put a good bit of cheap engine oil behind each hanging so that each time you open the doors the hangers run over the oil should sort your problem.
Have doors here older than I can remember still going strong.
Attie.

enricoh Registered User

Dunno where your located but Parnells in tallaght sell all that gear. I always found them half the price of the local crowd here

2 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!