ronaneire Registered User

It was only written off because it was beyond economical repair. A dint in the bonnet and a pushed in door won't render it unsafe to drive. You mentioned you continued to drive it afterwards.

Some insurance companies will know it's being classed as a C write off and will either require an engineers report or just won't provide cover.

At this stage it's 12 years old and he has it for sale for 26 days. I wouldn't be too worried.

2 people have thanked this post
extra-ordinary_ Registered User

From here...

Insurance Write Offs

Insurers provide details of written-off vehicles and the NVDF is updated with these particulars. Where written off instances are noted on the NVDF it results in the affected vehicles on the system being generally ‘locked down’ so that no further activity such as changes of vehicle ownership or renewal of motor tax can be recorded. ‘Write offs’ generally refer to vehicles that have been extensively damaged and designated by insurers as being totally or substantially destroyed.

1 person has thanked this post
Soarer Registered User

extra-ordinary_ said:
From here...

Insurance Write Offs

Insurers provide details of written-off vehicles and the NVDF is updated with these particulars. Where written off instances are noted on the NVDF it results in the affected vehicles on the system being generally ‘locked down’ so that no further activity such as changes of vehicle ownership or renewal of motor tax can be recorded. ‘Write offs’ generally refer to vehicles that have been extensively damaged and designated by insurers as being totally or substantially destroyed.

That'd be a bit late if someone buys it.

DECEiFER Registered User

extra-ordinary_ said:
From here...

Insurance Write Offs

It's not end-of-life so it still can be sold, etc. I had to sell it to them in the first place. If only it was EOL and I'd have a few extra bucks coming from a tax refund!

DECEiFER Registered User

ronaneire said:
Some insurance companies will know it's being classed as a C write off and will either require an engineers report or just won't provide cover..

That was the main reason why I wanted to get rid of it. It's tainted.

JohnBoy26 Registered User

extra-ordinary_ said:
From here...

Insurance Write Offs

It's not extensively damaged or totally destroyed though.

JohnBoy26 Registered User

DECEiFER said:
That was the main reason why I wanted to get rid of it. It's tainted.

What difference will it make on a car of that age though?

DECEiFER Registered User

JohnBoy26 said:
What difference will it make on a car of that age though?

Well with insurance being what it is these days, I'd rather not have any hassle. But given that I've never had anything like this happen to me before, I was making decisions based on what I felt would be best rather than what I could be certain of, which wasn't much anyway. I lost money in the process but I also gained a car that's 2 years younger with minor improvements designed by the manufacturer in between those two years, and I'm just glad it's now sorted.

R.O.R Registered User

Who said it was a "Cat C" write off? That's a Cat D if anything.

05CE3470 is showing as clear on the check I have access to - no insurance alert on that registration.

Cosmetic damage doesn't make a vehicle unsafe. Dents in the visible part of the A Pillar aren't a reason by themselves to have safety concerns over a vehicle - if the structural integrity of the pillar itself is damaged then that could be a concern, but you can tell whether it's that badly damaged by looking at the outside of the A Pillar.

1 person has thanked this post
DECEiFER Registered User

R.O.R said:
Who said it was a "Cat C" write off? That's a Cat D if anything.

05CE3470 is showing as clear on the check I have access to - no insurance alert on that registration.

Cosmetic damage doesn't make a vehicle unsafe. Dents in the visible part of the A Pillar aren't a reason by themselves to have safety concerns over a vehicle - if the structural integrity of the pillar itself is damaged then that could be a concern, but you can tell whether it's that badly damaged by looking at the outside of the A Pillar.

I was told it was C by FBD (farmer's insurers) but had thought maybe it was a D as well, but I was going on what they told me.

Thanks for the clarification on the rest. I'm surprised it didn't come up with anything on your check, though...

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!