Mf310 Registered User

RobinBanks
I ordered a plate meter today. Always had interest in grass management. I don't have paddocks setup up properly though. I use 2 reels and keep moving them forward with fence behind them to prevent going back.

Where did you order yours?

charolais0153 Registered User

Got the loan of the platemeter from teagasc today...it will be interesting to see how far I was out . got it a yer ago aswel

whelan2 Registered User

charolais0153 said:
Got the loan of the platemeter from teagasc today...it will be interesting to see how far I was out . got it a yer ago aswel

Is there farmers near to you grass measuring? Might be an idea to tag along with them for a few walks and see what they say is on the fields, thats how I learnt and you get a good chat in too

1 person has thanked this post

whelan2 said:
Is there farmers near to you grass measuring? Might be an idea to tag along with them for a few walks and see what they say is on the fields, thats how I learnt and you get a good chat in too

None that have more knowledge than me!!!!

whelan2 Registered User

charolais0153 said:
None that have more knowledge than me!!!!

Right so. Every day is a learning day here.

1 person has thanked this post
Sam Kade Registered User

whelan2 said:
Did it take you long to learn and can you eyeball a cover now?

whelan2 Registered User

Sam Kade said:
Did it take you long to learn and can you eyeball a cover now?

Went on about 8/10 walks-there was a group of 3 of us. 1 lad had been measuring years. I have a lad does most of my walks for me now but will go with him an odd time as he has the quadrant etc and I will do a walk myself if he gets delayed in coming to do one. 1 of the lads that I used to walk with had a great way , he would first of all say is the cover over 1000, then say is it over 500 and narrow it down to what it is, great for starting off .Really its just putting a proper figure on what we have been looking at for years, like a skinned field has 50/100 cover and one that should possibly be taken out for bales has over 2000 and all the rest are in between Just getting the figure reasonably right is the hard part to get right

4 people have thanked this post
GrasstoMilk Registered User

Made a start at the '17 season today. Travelled our wettest field. Other years you'd bog the tractor. Made one mark in a 5ft piece today

5 people have thanked this post
stretch film Registered User

whelan2 said:
Went on about 8/10 walks-there was a group of 3 of us. 1 lad had been measuring years. I have a lad does most of my walks for me now but will go with him an odd time as he has the quadrant etc and I will do a walk myself if he gets delayed in coming to do one. 1 of the lads that I used to walk with had a great way , he would first of all say is the cover over 1000, then say is it over 500 and narrow it down to what it is, great for starting off .Really its just putting a proper figure on what we have been looking at for years, like a skinned field has 50/100 cover and one that should possibly be taken out for bales has over 2000 and all the rest are in between Just getting the figure reasonably right is the hard part to get right

Teagasc had a really simple sheet that worked off bands e.g. 0-500, 500-1000 etc.
There was a description to accompany each band . Short grass , light graze etc.

Very simple way of starting off and as you say you start questioning yourself within the band's eventually and getting quiet accurate.

If someone has one they might put it up and used along with pasturebase measuring would be a doddle .

2 people have thanked this post
Timmaay Registered User

GrasstoMilk said:
Made a start at the '17 season today. Travelled our wettest field. Other years you'd bog the tractor. Made one mark in a 5ft piece today

Too much grass here to bother with fertilizer yet ha.

See the growth in Connacht......eighteen kg/DM/ha . that was us....probably from underestimating the previous cover. AFC at 520now

Timmaay said:
Too much grass here to bother with fertilizer yet ha.

Your okay now with the low sr. need that grass to recover quick as soon as it's grazed

When your recording the fertiliser application and it says kg/ac is that amount of stuff let's say one bag is 50kg or do you put kg of n in. I presume its the former

RobinBanks Registered User

anyone here with an F200 plate meter?Im trying to find out what equation I would use for calibrating the device.

AFC 1130 at 16% DM
Gr 9 over winter
Closed at 400 on nov1st
Highest cover 2250
Lowest is 500
probably should have used 18% in hindsight, hearing grass samples coming in at 20%Dm

Will probably go to grass next Monday. Few cows starting to spring
50% will be calved in 10-12 days

2 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!