tomasrojo Registered User

This must be suppressed ...

1 person has thanked this post
De Bhál Registered User

Mild weather must be helping

CramCycle A wholly unreasonable man

I'd love to see more of the stats but there is one thing that is more important than the numbers of one mode of transport than the others. I see this knowing that i do not agree with most posters, but using boards as a microcosm of cyclists in Dublin, the quays would be one of the most dangerous (in regards comfort levels) places to cycle in Dublin. I don't necessarily agree but I am outnumbered.

This is largely perceived (not by me) as a hugely dangerous place to cycle, this does not appear to have alleviated in recent times going by posts here, but yet, one of the perceived riskiest places in Dublin to cycle is seeing a boom that is almost unbelievable.

This has to be one of the most positive news stories in recent times regarding cycling in Dublin.

4 people have thanked this post
Makikomi Moderator

De Bhál;102228119
Mild weather must be helping

This change had taken place in the period since 2013-2014 when the council first began to properly develop plans for the two-way segregated cycle lane down the quays.

Seems to be going on before our current spell of mild weather.

Welcome news.

Makikomi said:
Seems to be going on before our current spell of mild weather.

Welcome news.

My mother in law, who is very against me cycling, took her first drive in rush hour traffic yesterday. She rang to share her experience later in the day. She could not understand how we done it. I just asked her, "do you understand why I cycle now?", she said I do. Closest I will ever get to her being positive about me cycling.

tomasrojo Registered User

CramCycle said:

This is largely perceived (not by me) as a hugely dangerous place to cycle, this does not appear to have alleviated in recent times going by posts here, but yet, one of the perceived riskiest places in Dublin to cycle is seeing a boom that is almost unbelievable.

If they're talking about Arran Quay, I also find that stretch fine. It's the south quays after the civic offices I try to avoid.

2 people have thanked this post
doozerie Registered User

tomasrojo said:
If they're talking about Arran Quay, I also find that stretch fine. It's the south quays after the civic offices I try to avoid.

I use the north quays from Ormond Quay Upper every morning and find it perfectly fine too. Ironically I usually have more issues with people on bikes, and the odd suicidal pedestrian, doing stupid things than I have with motorists.

I use the south quays rarely and never like using them when I do. There are too many pinch points, which is not such a big deal in itself, but perhaps because it's usually home time when I do use them, the levels of patience and consideration seem dangerously low and tempers dangerously short, so not a happy mix.

It's the usual thing, all roads would be perfectly fine and safe if it wasn't for the hoors that use them.

I find no more issue with the quays, north or south, than any other road in Dublin, it just might look more noticeable as traffic is heavier closer to the center.

3 people have thanked this post
veetwin Registered User

Cyclist and motorist here. Thankfully I don't need to go into Dublin City centre during rush hour very often but I did this evening about 6pm. I was driving a Transit with its limited rear visibility. I was genuinely shocked and scared at some of the cyclists behaviour. A bus turning left from Dame St onto George's St stopped for at least 30 seconds while a dozen cyclists went up the inside as he was indicating to turn left. (He had a green light) Had he not stopped someone would have come to a bad end.

Similar reckless behaviour continued on George's St with cyclists overtaking on both the near side and offside. It's a miracle more cyclists aren't mangled on a daily basis.

Chuchote Registered User

veetwin said:
Cyclist and motorist here. Thankfully I don't need to go into Dublin City centre during rush hour very often but I did this evening about 6pm. I was driving a Transit with its limited rear visibility. I was genuinely shocked and scared at some of the cyclists behaviour. A bus turning left from Dame St onto George's St stopped for at least 30 seconds while a dozen cyclists went up the inside as he was indicating to turn left. (He had a green light) Had he not stopped someone would have come to a bad end.

Similar reckless behaviour continued on George's St with cyclists overtaking on both the near side and offside. It's a miracle more cyclists aren't mangled on a daily basis.

Yeah, there's some loopers out there.

Leroy42 Registered User

veetwin said:
A bus turning left from Dame St onto George's St stopped for at least 30 seconds while a dozen cyclists went up the inside as he was indicating to turn left. (He had a green light) Had he not stopped someone would have come to a bad end.

I use that junction everyday and part of the problem is the junction itself. Filter left green light but busses can't make the turn due to traffic on Dame St.

Impatient cyclists then go past the bus to make the turn. Would be safer for all concerned to just remove the filter. That in no way tries to negate the need for the cyclist to use self awareness, but the way the junction is designed seems to ignore this pretty universal fact

ted1 Registered User

CramCycle said:
I find no more issue with the quays, north or south, than any other road in Dublin, it just might look more noticeable as traffic is heavier closer to the center.

I seldom use the quays but when I do I feel it's like running the gauntlet. To many busses and bus stops.

Annie get your Run Registered User

I use both North and South Quays from O'Connell St to the Phoenix Park, they are the busiest part of my commute but not necessarily the most dangerous (big roundabouts in Clonsilla can be more so), South quays are far worse, for everyone I'd imagine. The bus lanes as far as Wellington Quay are filled with parked buses and what not forcing moving buses and cyclists out into the next lane. There are far higher instances of cars with flashing lights on those Quays too for some reason and I feel traffic turning left from side roads have poorer visibility V the North Quays. The worst part of those IMO seems to be from Ormond Quay onward, the buses trying to get across two lanes of traffic to turn over O'Connell Bridge is a nightmare. Roll on this new 2 way cycle path! I hope they make it nice & wide though so we can overtake each other safely!

the.red.baron Registered User

This shows what a car park the quays are. If the number of 1100 are correct, it's a pretty bad indictment pf traffic management that it can handle less cars now that in 2014.

You'd want to be barking mad to contemplate driving that at rush hour.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!