Wishbone Ash Registered User

Unknown Soldier said:
...I can't remember the actual food stops for some reason!...
It was in the Brocagh Centre, Laragh. Quite a good spread if I recall correctly including the very over-rated carrot cake. Soup was spot on. The place was mobbed - standing room only for many. I think we spoke briefly at the door when I was leaving and you were entering.

D3PO Registered User

Thanks unknown good to know.

I suspect I will be in the 7 hrs 15 mins  to 7 hrs 30 mins bracket so this gives me a good idea. Did you spend most of the cycle solo or did you find yourself in a small group ?

lissard Registered User

I was about 7 hrs moving last year and to be honest I was totally crocked by the end. Cramps in my quads all the way up to the Sally Gap from Manor Kilbride, an experience I fervently hope to avoid this year. There was a constant stream passing me out towards the end. I hadn't half enough mileage done and the current route is a lot harder than the previous one. I think us slower lads at the back had a bit of a monopoly on suffering last year as the faster lads even managed to outrun the showers up on the military road. Anyhow sucker that I am, I signed up again - it's a tough old event but Orwell are great hosts.

1 person has thanked this post

lissard said:
... Cramps in my quads all the way up to the Sally Gap from Manor Kilbride, an experience I fervently hope to avoid this year....
The trick is to take it easy along that horribly deceptive energy sapping Lake Drive to save some energy for the second climb to the Sally Gap. Ignore all the lads hammering past turning themselves inside out - you'll pass them on the climb to the Gap when they have blown up.

I did it in 6.23 moving time last year - probably a bit faster than I was comfortable with but I was trying to hang on to Mercian Pro's wheel. Won't be doing that this year!

Daroxtar Registered User

I'm basing my expectations on comparison to the Reservoir Dog. I did that just over 5 hours so adding 25km and about 400m, I'm thinking another 90ish minutes would give me about 6:45 moving time. Is it much harder than the Dog?

Mercian Pro Registered User

Wishbone Ash said:

I did it in 6.23 moving time last year - probably a bit faster than I was comfortable with but I was trying to hang on to Mercian Pro's wheel. Won't be doing that this year!

Not my memory of it at all. I was seriously glad I took your advice to take it easy on the Lake Drive. That was where the guy cycled into the ditch taking off his jacket!

Daroxtar said:
Is it much harder than the Dog?

Harder yes, much harder maybe, but it will be no bother to you.

py Registered User

Looking at the profile of the Randonnee, it defo looks tougher then the Reservoir Dog. Going over Lake Drive at close to 100Km already is going to be killer, it's what killed me at last year's Reservoir Dog. Still looking forward to it though, fingers crossed that the weather is good for it.

nilhg Registered User

6.18 moving for me on the Randonee last year, 5.17 on the Dog, hard to say one is harder that the other, weather usually makes the Randonee a bit of a slog but maybe this year the current spell of dry weather will last out, it'd make a change...

Daroxtar Registered User

We'll see how accurate Accuweather is. It's giving cloudy but dry and 14degree for Blessington on the Saturday

Daroxtar said:
We'll see how accurate Accuweather is. It's giving cloudy but dry and 14degree for Blessington on the Saturday
YR.no giving Co Wicklow cold (5 degrees) and wet with a north westerly for the 29th. Normal weather then so for the Randonnee.

fat bloke Registered User

It was right cold last year. I had a full winter rig out - heavy winter jacket and all. Hopefully won't need that this year, I've put it to the back of the wardrobe since last month.

C'mere, is the start/finish point the same as last year? Left after the Topaz and down the Ballycorus road on the right there?

fat bloke said:
...C'mere, is the start/finish point the same as last year? Left after the Topaz and down the Ballycorus road on the right there?
Yup.

lissard Registered User

Wishbone Ash said:
YR.no giving Co Wicklow cold (5 degrees) and wet with a north westerly for the 29th. Normal weather then so for the Randonnee.

Ah here, let us at least imagine it will be an unseasonably warm day with a northerly tailwind for about 3 hours followed by a sudden 180 degree change after lunch. The only forecast I trust at this point is the 24 hour one. Fingers crossed it's more than 5 degrees, the military road is no fun when it's cold and wet.

cajonlardo Registered User

I give up -where is the wall?

edit, think I have it , lane across from waterfall rd to djouce?

lissard Registered User

cajonlardo said:
I give up -where is the wall?

edit, think I have it , lane across from waterfall rd to djouce?

That's the spot, it's well named.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!