Ghosty669 Registered User

Hi folks,
Just wanted to let you know that we're putting the finishing touches to this years Orwell Randonnee which will be taking place on Saturday the 29th of April.

Due to the positive feedback we got from last years participants, we've decided to use the same route as last year and for the first time we will be adding a slightly easier route : the Randonnee Lite. This shorter route removes some of the climbing at the start of the event but it should be considered a great achievement to complete it.

Looking forward to having our regulars back and for anyone planning some serious cycling this year, it's a great event to use to test the legs.

Details to follow.

20 people have thanked this post
irishrover99 Registered User

Please throw in some good weather this year. The last two have been as bad weather wise as anything i've ever cycled in.

4 people have thanked this post
Euro Fred Registered User

In

1 person has thanked this post
Eamonnator Registered User

Having sorted out a 34-32 low gear, I am in again this year.
I promise not to cry this year, when I see The Wall.

Daroxtar Registered User

Has anyone a Strava link to the route from last year. I'm half thinking of doing it

andy69 Registered User

Daroxtar said:
Has anyone a Strava link to the route from last year. I'm half thinking of doing it

Here's mine from 2016: https://www.strava.com/activities/561337901 a cold cold day with the run for home down off of Sally Gap! Great though - can't wait for this years' one again!

4 people have thanked this post
Unknown Soldier Registered User

Eamonnator said:
Having sorted out a 34-32 low gear, I am in again this year.
I promise not to cry this year, when I see The Wall.

Indulge me while I recall a conversation I had during last years Randonnee after doing said "Wall"

"The Wall?...The Wall? are people sh1tting me? What the F##K is that thing!" while point ahead of me at what looked like a Hill built on a frickin' roller coaster up ramp!

That aside, even with the terrible weather last year ala the cold rain and sleet up in the mountains, it was a savage day on the bike.

bazermc Registered User

How many Calories in the Randonnee Lite?

Here's the sign on page folks which includes details of both routes : https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/the-randonnee-2017-tickets-31066592013

bazermc said:
How many Calories in the Randonnee Lite?

About half a burger and 2 slices of carrot cake...

3 people have thanked this post
fat bloke Registered User

Signed up for this last night. Very impressed with the dietary preference drop-down menu.

Shur oo wuidn't find dat in de likes a de Toor de Frence.

fat bloke said:
Signed up for this last night. Very impressed with the dietary preference drop-down menu.

Shur oo wuidn't find dat in de likes a de Toor de Frence.

Thanks! We aim to please. Speaking of food, based on feedback from last years participants, we've upgraded our burgers this year and gone for the gourmet option. I tested them over the weekend and they're defo worth the suffering. Only issue was trying to cycle over Ticknock and not to get a second helping!

Wishbone Ash Registered User

fat bloke said:
Signed up for this last night. Very impressed with the dietary preference drop-down menu. ....
Sounds like they are preparing musette bags for us!

Wishbone Ash said:
Sounds like they are preparing musette bags for us!

We priced a horse feed bag but couldn't get it past the committee!

Mercian Pro Registered User

Ghosty669 said:
Thanks! We aim to please. Speaking of food, based on feedback from last years participants, we've upgraded our burgers this year and gone for the gourmet option. I tested them over the weekend and they're defo worth the suffering. Only issue was trying to cycle over Ticknock and not to get a second helping!

Well done. The only slight negative last year was the "ordinaryness" of the burgers at the end of a fantastic cycle.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!