kerry cow Registered User

What kind of a margin do cattle dealers make on their purchases .
If I sell a cow in the yard for factory be it a boner or fat .
Do they flip then , feed them or kill them in general .
If they kill them then would I be better off doing it myself .
I had a experience with 6 cows I sold a guy .After 2 weeks he still hadn't collected and so I headed off to the market .850 euro better off that evening .Is this standard margin for these guys .i wouldn't have know otherwise .was offered 300 euro for a bone cow but took the chance last week and killed her and netted 372 and the buyer was at his limit at 300 and said he was doing me a favour .
If I went to mart today and bought say 4 fat cows and head to the factory tomorrow or tomorrow week what type of profit should I expect in general .?
I know they have to make a profit but to me maybe 50 euro each would be fair .

Mad4CHX Banned

kerry cow said:
What kind of a margin do cattle dealers make on their purchases .
If I sell a cow in the yard for factory be it a boner or fat .
Do they flip then , feed them or kill them in general .
If they kill them then would I be better off doing it myself .
I had a experience with 6 cows I sold a guy .After 2 weeks he still hadn't collected and so I headed off to the market .850 euro better off that evening .Is this standard margin for these guys .i wouldn't have know otherwise .was offered 300 euro for a bone cow but took the chance last week and killed her and netted 372 and the buyer was at his limit at 300 and said he was doing me a favour .
If I went to mart today and bought say 4 fat cows and head to the factory tomorrow or tomorrow week what type of profit should I expect in general .?
I know they have to make a profit but to me maybe 50 euro each would be fair .

Hard to know but they need to make a living and take risks buying stock. Lads here come down on them fairly hard but I always use them. I work full time so don't have the time to hang around a mart all day. I tell a dealer what I want and my price range and then he gets his cut. Bloody movements thing is a disaster, another way to suppress the system in favour of the factories.

2 people have thanked this post
Bass Reeves Registered User

I suspect that if he was going to make 150/ cow he would have had them gone that evening. Maybe something changed in the two weeks. There is a higher risk with cows and insurance and often factory's do not insure canners going up the line. Give him 10 euro haulage and I presume that the 372 is the net you were paid he 62 euro to covers his risk of a cow being rejected and his time. He will not buy in every yard just like an agent. Would 1 in 50 canners be rejected I am not sure but that is another 6-10/ head. For one cow he was getting on you not going to the mart lots of farmers are wary of factory's so he !Ight have boosted his margin.

Matt's are a law unto themselves. There can be agro on the day between dealers and you may have struck it lucky. 150 euro gross/ cow extra compared to mart prices either you are bad to negotiate and did not know the value or prices changed substantially in two weeks. 150/ head of a price difference between mart and yard seems substantially.

2 people have thanked this post
charolais0153 Registered User

They're all the same bunch. They leave cows to each other andake them dear on someone gat wants to buy

jack o shea Banned

Worse than tinkers.......

kerry cow Registered User

I always have trusted them in the past for the reason that I want a fair price and know he has to make a few bob too but those two examples have upset me alot and now feel like I have been screwed for far too long .
Agreed I have has bones skipped before .now that's a loss .and funny thing is these dealer can get them through the factory.

jack o shea Banned

Kerry cow, these lads are pure scum, you would be better off trying any other options than these pikeys.

greysides Moderator

jack o shea said:
Kerry cow, these lads are pure scum, you would be better off trying any other options than these pikeys.

Mod:
Jack, that's a fair wide brush stroke! You need to moderate your language!

whelan2 Registered User

Like in all businesses there's good and bad, you learn fairly quick who to avoid. If you need cash quick sometimes they can be a god send

cute geoge Registered User

How bad would a cow need to be rejected in the factory ,is it the vets that decide if a cow will be rejected .
Compared to long ago jobbers don't seem to have much sway nowadays .i often heard about jobbers rocking up to land auctions years ago and after outbidding everyone pull out a couple of rolls of notes and pay on the spot for farms!!!!1
Marts would be definitely be poorer places without them ,in fact i don't think marts would function without them .guaranteed week in week out they will be stood around the ring come rain ,snow or sun

1 person has thanked this post
whelan2 Registered User

cute geoge said:
How bad would a cow need to be rejected in the factory ,is it the vets that decide if a cow will be rejected .
Compared to long ago jobbers don't seem to have much sway nowadays .i often heard about jobbers rocking up to land auctions years ago and after outbidding everyone pull out a couple of rolls of notes and pay on the spot for farms!!!!1
Marts would be definitely be poorer places without them ,in fact i don't think marts would function without them .guaranteed week in week out they will be stood around the ring come rain ,snow or sun

Alot depends what vet is in the factory. Had one cow skipped ever. I got sent the knackery docket from them

jack o shea Banned

I always try my best when selling in mart to see if these boys are bidding, I took home cattle once because I knew it was a dealer with the final bid, was a good price and all ha......

whelan2 Registered User

jack o shea said:
I always try my best when selling in mart to see if these boys are bidding, I took home cattle once because I knew it was a dealer with the final bid, was a good price and all ha......

I could never understand bringing cattle out to the mart and bringing them home, unless you are getting a desperate price. Surely they are being brought out to be sold?

8 people have thanked this post
jack o shea Banned

Oh for sure whelan, and I'm nearly always highly stocked, but I just couldn't bear the thoughts of my cattle been handled by 5hese lads, would they even feed them properly?

duffysfarm Registered User

You thought him a lesson alright.....

jack o shea said:

14 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!