kerry cow Registered User

Hi lads .
Have 10 unit delaval palour and looking for a vaccum pump .my vaccum seems quite weak .I am trying to do as much as possible before I get sevice man out . The pump has been idol 10 years but was working perfect when retired.
Was going to use copy liners and unsure if I could get a non dealer service man to service .any leads or advise .kerry cork border region .thanks

Sam Kade Registered User

kerry cow said:
Hi lads .
Have 10 unit delaval palour and looking for a vaccum pump .my vaccum seems quite weak .I am trying to do as much as possible before I get sevice man out . The pump has been idol 10 years but was working perfect when retired.
Was going to use copy liners and unsure if I could get a non dealer service man to service .any leads or advise .kerry cork border region .thanks
You'd be way better off buying a new vaccum pump or a good secondhand one off a milking machine technician. If you are getting a stronger pump you'll also need a stronger motor, could be looking at 2k spend. The pump I have for 8 units installed in 1998 wouldn't be enough for 6 units now with the new regulations.

1 person has thanked this post
_Brian Registered User

kerry cow said:
Hi lads .

I wonder are all the veins free. When left idle the old oil comgeales and they stick. I'd advise to take off the inlet pipe and pour maybe half pint of diesel down into the pump. Let it sit for a few hours. Then by hand roll the pully round carefully. You can start the pump and it will blow out the diesel through the exhaust.

When it's running make sure it's actually taking in vacuum oil through both niples, remember it's the oil that makes the seal.

New veins might also bring back the vacuum as they could be chipped or even broken.

Try the trick with the diesel and check oil flow.

Then there's other options, maybe the vacuum is being lost elsewhere. Older vacuum regulators were notorious to leak , the ones with the heavy weight. Old runner 3way valves often leaked by.

Truthfully only by having a good technician test the plant will you really know.

blue5000 Moderator

+1 to what _Brian said.

Failing that. If you are handy with a spanner you could take it apart and give it a good scrub in a bucket of diesel. Might as well change the vanes if you go that far.

Are the pulley belts gone slack and slipping?

Soaking it in diesel this evening and see how it goes .prefer to keep the 2k for the rubber ware and might help get the tank up and going .bought a second dx on done deal .good deal out there now with guys getting grants for new ones

kowtow Registered User

Although if it's anything like my VP76 I'd jump at the chance to change it just to cut down the noise.

Great pump, but everyone including the cows needs ear muffs.

The other thing is the rubber ware - if it is old is it possible that the pump is actually running ok but there are stacks of tiny leak points from degraded rubber making the vacuum appear worse? The diesel trick above is a great place to start and there are a good few places you can get vanes.

Also you could try Kanters in Holland if you want a good condition replacement or a service kit, keen prices.

_Brian Registered User

VP76 pumps were often ran flat out to match onto a plant and keep the price down. Many were fitted with no silencer too.
They're best in a pumphouse out of earshot.

As for leaks.

Old style vacuum regulator
Sanitary buckets, both the bucket and lid gasket.
3 way valve if its rubber (put your hand over end of wash lift pipe to check)
Rubber jar lids.

Diesel did the job .great vacuum now .
Bought Liners off a delaval agent up in North kerry . Good to go just waiting for one to pop .

_Brian Registered User

kerry cow said:
Bought Liners off a delaval agent up in North kerry . Good to go just waiting for one to pop .

1/2 pint diesel every 6 months and let her blow it out..
Make sure oil is feeding to BOTH sides of the pump..

Obviously pull liners to second notch after 4-6 weeks and just in case your not used to fitting make sure the alignment notches line up or it may be twisted in the shell and damage cows teat..

Spent 5 years working maintenance for a delaval agent and other than money being poor I loved it..

2 people have thanked this post
Sam Kade Registered User

kerry cow said:
How much did you pay for the liners?

34 euro quoted but was getting other bit also so it was a combined price

bt12 Registered User

a relative of mine does that job, have worked for him a few days this a very tough, massive hours and on call 24/7 dunno is it worth it

_Brian said:
1/2 pint diesel every 6 months and let her blow it out..
Make sure oil is feeding to BOTH sides of the pump..

Obviously pull liners to second notch after 4-6 weeks and just in case your not used to fitting make sure the alignment notches line up or it may be twisted in the shell and damage cows teat..

Spent 5 years working maintenance for a delaval agent and other than money being poor I loved it..

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!