weisses Registered User

Meteorite58 said:
A basic, maybe crude chart, but proves a fairly good guidance on snowfall

That's a big no for snow for Dingle and Tralee looking at the charts

MidMan25 Registered User

weisses said:
That's a big no for snow for Dingle and Tralee looking at the charts

The models seem to overplay the effect of proximity to the sea on snowfall.

glightning Registered User

Showers up here in inland NI are still of rain at the moment. A few more hours before they transition I think.

snaps Registered User

It's ok lads please calm down. This thread has gone a bit NW nuts.

I do live high up granted, but this winter has been quite extreme.

All that matters is that the regular posters know me and who I am.

Currently wind is gusting here up to 80km/HR, -12 and approx 40cm lying snow. It's currently snowing from a band of precipitation from a warm front hitting the cold eastern air.

24 people have thanked this post
Kamili Registered User

I have to chip in too and thank all you very knowledgeable folk in posting updates, charts and of course your explanations. Really enjoying the thread,

Bring on the Snow!

3 people have thanked this post
Captain Snow Registered User

And so it Begins.

14 people have thanked this post
mirrorwall14 Registered User

Holy crap that 6 o clock weather was something for snow watchers. I cannot believe there has been an upgrade. An UPGRADE??! That never happens!!

1 person has thanked this post
Villain Registered User

Harmonie 18z upgrades showers tomorrow evening for eastern areas back to 06z almost.

There is going to be a lot radar watching tomorrow evening and the small swings in wind direction could be evil to watch

9 people have thanked this post
Rougies Registered User

MidMan25 said:
The models seem to overplay the effect of proximity to the sea on snowfall.

Indeed, the global models just don't have the resolution. For example the distance between grid points for the GFS is 28km. Lets say a grid point lies exactly on the coast and the model says "rain" because of proximity to the sea, the map will then show rain 14km inland too, when in reality it could be turning to snow just 1 or 2 km inland.

the high res models like HIRLAM and Euro4 etc are obviously a lot better.

3 people have thanked this post
sean555 Registered User

GFS 18Z snow cover

Attachments
33-780UK.gif
Villain Registered User

BTW the title of this thread should be changed to Orange in line with Met Eireanns warning

2 people have thanked this post
Captain Snow Registered User

Villain said:
Harmonie 18z upgrades showers tomorrow evening for eastern areas back to 06z almost.

There is going to be a lot radar watching tomorrow evening and the small swings in wind direction could be evil to watch

Im going to the pub tomorrow evening to get slaughtered and watch radar till i get thrown out or fall out the door. Hopefully into a bed of snow...

6 people have thanked this post
irish1967 Registered User

Ok. Time I popped up after a very long absence as SNOW is on the way. Here's a slide show I made in 2010 using the pics posted on the weather board.
Ah yes ... those were the days.

14 people have thanked this post
Rougies Registered User

Villain said:

What's your source on the Harmonie model if you don't mind me asking?

sean555 Registered User

Hirlam 18Z showing good amount of snow showers every where.
Just three examples below.

4 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!