JanuarySnowstor Registered User

Donegal Storm said:
Hi-res snow accumulation for what it's worth..

Just a rough guide and in reality most of what falls along the west coast will be hail rather than snow.

That's not correct imo

1 person has thanked this post
Boggy Turf Registered User

Even to see lots of snow on the Maamturks and Partrys will be splendid.

munsterlegend said:
Are all models showing this system?

It would be in range of some of the UK high Res tools from today but is being mostly forecast by human forecast + model blending of those tools
Only today have they that wave this far north which is not to be discounted as it's so close now
Any move will have big impacts

3 people have thanked this post
Villain Registered User

Harmonie has Snow rain early Thursday becoming Snow by 5am in Ulster, showers South of Athlone becoming snow around 10am, well scattered but certainly some hill snow Thursday morning for some!

mickger844posts Registered User

Basically Thursday will be a now cast scenario with Sat images and Radar telling all. One thing for sure this cold will be a shock to the system. Its 11.1c here in Waterford City and feels so mild.
Exciting output from the models this morning. Could we finally get the elusive beast from the east next week.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

Cartouche Registered User

Hope we get lots of snow but too many years of disappointment to get too excited

hotwhiskey Closed Account

Euro 4 6z. Still good for the Northern half of the country even with the small downgrades this morning. Thats how far the chart will go to 48hrs until next update later.

Rebelbrowser Registered User

hotwhiskey said:
Euro 4 6z. Still good for the Northern half of the country even with the small downgrades this morning. Thats how far the chart will go to 48hrs until next update later.

Yeah, you would hope with ground enough reason that 6 hrs later that rain in the south would be snow.

Augeo Registered User

Graces7 said:
I know, I know..am moving house Friday night from one mountain to another. Well we will survive... Whatever.. will wait to hear from my man with a van now but if there is snow here I will not be able to get up the road.

Hi, All the best with the move. You're one of my favourite posters on boards.ie, such a positive person

3 people have thanked this post

Rebelbrowser said:
Yeah, you would hope with ground enough reason that 6 hrs later that rain in the south would be snow.

Met Eireann seem to think the wave will turn to snow
If it's track is due east southeast,it would have to wouldn't it as minimum impact on the CAA from the northwest and then that cold air advection would certainly have to be engaging with the front
Not long until we know
It's very complicated

2 people have thanked this post
Snowbiee21 Registered User

ArKl0w said:
Met Eireann seem to think the wave will turn to snow
If it's track is due east southeast,it would have to wouldn't it as minimum impact on the CAA from the northwest and then that cold air advection would certainly have to be engaging with the front
Not long until we know
It's very complicated
so does that mean some parts of the east may see a few showers

Stealthfins Banned

Graces7
I know, I know..am moving house Friday night from one mountain to another. Well we will survive... Whatever.. will wait to hear from my man with a van now but if there is snow here I will not be able to get up the road.

What county are you moving from one mountain to another ?

tatranska Registered User

NeonCookies said:
Don't worry Rebelbrowser.. the fact that I'm due to fly from Belfast on Thursday for a long awaited reunion with good friends in Europe means that (with my luck) we're more likely to have an all out blizzard than a downgrade!

I'll meet you for coffee in the airport! I'm flying to Tenerife at 12.

2 people have thanked this post

Snowbiee21 said:
so does that mean some parts of the east may see a few showers

There's actually a possibility that higher parts of the southeast might see more snow than Ulster if that wave lingers and engages with the CAA

Depending on the affect of the wave which could change things radically,the template for this episode is Xmas day 2004
It snowed in Arklow that day but didn't settle
It did in Meath and across all the high ground in Dublin and Wicklow

Stealthfins Banned

The ground seems to be drying out here,if it's dry enough the snow will stick easily enough.
That's if it snows.
A good dry spell until tomorrow would be good.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!