Loughc Moderator

Now that we are officially out of season, what are things we can do to keep the spirit of Christmas alive?

One idea I heard today was watch old Christmas Ads on YouTube all the old classics, or perhaps add fairy lights to your house to give it that Christmassy glow.

Maybe light a Christmas scented candle to fill your house with lovely Christmassy smells. What ideas or things to you do to give yourself a little bit of Christmas?

3 people have thanked this post
odyssey06 Registered User

As long as the lights etc dont have santas on them... leave the candles out and the lights and the holly and the ivy for the rest of winter / yule.

kitten_k Registered User

You could start a tradition of doing something Christmassy on the 25th of every month (like and annual advent calendar) e.g. Listen to Christmas songs, watch a Christmas movie.

6 people have thanked this post
Loughc Moderator

kitten_k said:
You could start a tradition of doing something Christmassy on the 25th of every month (like and annual advent calendar) e.g. Listen to Christmas songs, watch a Christmas movie.

Great idea kitten_k. i love the idea of watching a Christmas movie on the 25th of each month.

2 people have thanked this post

I made vanilla Christmas shaped cookies today . The house smells yummy.

philstar Registered User

freezing conditions for thur & fri....might bring a late xmas feel

4 people have thanked this post
Loughc Moderator

philstar said:
freezing conditions for thur & fri....might bring a late xmas feel

Frost and snow always gives me the Christmas feeling.

xDisneyDivax Registered User

I will keep burning winter magic oil every night! Smells so Christmassy and cosy!

milli milli Registered User

I have lots of twinkly lights around my house. I initially put them up one Christmas but decided to leave them up as I loved how they looked.
When people come to visit, they love the 'Christmassy' atmosphere.

It would be nice to have some kind of Yule/winter celebration as another mentioned.
People are always giving out about Winter, but it's my favourite season. The light in Winter is beautiful, the cosiness, the bare trees, the warm fires, the whole hibernation feeling, the potential for snow!

Loughc Moderator

milli milli said:
People are always giving out about Winter, but it's my favourite season. The light in Winter is beautiful, the cosiness, the bare trees, the warm fires, the whole hibernation feeling, the potential for snow!

Same. I love winter for all of those reasons. And we've been very lucky this winter with the weather we've gotten so far. Very little rain. Wish it was colder I miss seeing frost everywhere.

Love the twinkle lights idea! And with online christmas radio year-round, we can choose our favourite genre and relax to christmas tune-age whenever. It is fun to read Christmas novels and watch vids year-round, innit? I used to start making cards and gifts in January, back when my list was very long; or when I wanted to make special gift for someone, like a quilt for my grandad.

I thought it would be cool once, to practice carols on guitar (or piano) year-round so that when Christmastime came, I would be ready to perform (as background music for shoppers), or go caroling with a group, or sing at church.

Oooh, we could check out Christmas pinterest 'n try out some of the ideas before next season. Perfect a skill maybe, like making gingerbread houses (I never done that).

kitten_k said:

I forgot all about Rudolph Day kitten_k! thank you!

milli milli Registered User

Yes the twinkly lights are very doable.
In summer they sell twinkly lights for outdoor barbecues or even the solar-powered ones for outside.
It's really lovely to see them all year round.

1 person has thanked this post
xDisneyDivax Registered User

Wow looks delish!! Do let us know how it tastes! I'm actually in two minds whether to buy a slow cooker or not!

1 person has thanked this post
chuckles30 Registered User

I still have some Christmas movies recorded from Christmas 24 - which was handy as I was off sick for a couple of days last week, so I was able to cosy up and watch them.

I still have some Christmas Cake and Pudding that I'm enjoying too

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!