Alf Stewart. Registered User

SF haven't named a replacement, essentially triggering an election.

Just breaking on news talk.

Originally Posted by For Reals View Post
#MOD WARNING#
Please stick to the thread topic. The current political situation of McGuinness resigning, party politics, the repercussions etc. etc.
Please feel free to post your dislike or love for him, but within the context of the topic of the thread.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Brian? View Post
#2nd MOD WARNING#

I have deleted a number of posts that strayed well beyond the topic at hand. If there is any repeat there will be cards/bans handed out. Please don't ignore this warning like the last one!

Please stick to the thread topic. The current political situation of McGuinness resigning, party politics, the repercussions etc. etc.
Please feel free to post your dislike or love for him, but within the context of the topic of the thread.

Thank you.

Reopened after dealing with a load of off topic threads, despite the two warnings above.

I've handed out several more cards.

Please adhere to the warnings above, or this thread will be closed.
Please do not engage in backseat moderation, if you have a problem with a post report it

Harry Palmr Registered User

to step down...

No doubt this will be blown up as some sort of epochal event.

mikeoneilly Registered User

Harry Palmr said:

No doubt this will be blown up .

They haven't gone away you know

28 people have thanked this post
steddyeddy Registered User

The end of power sharing in the North for the time being.

1 person has thanked this post
Red_Wake Registered User

Has he been asked if he will be standing in this election?

A pity he had to stand aside, this will trigger a round of sectarian recriminations that will only deepen the divisions with NI.

Professor Moriarty Registered User

Something to take Theresa May's mind off Brexit for a while.

8 people have thanked this post
Lovely Bloke Registered User

Arlene Foster has been very stupid here.

31 people have thanked this post

I wonder if foster will continue to be pig headed and stand as DUP leader. Must be the right time for her party colleagues to push her under the bus

8 people have thanked this post

Red_Wake said:

A pity he had to stand aside, this will trigger a round of sectarian recriminations that will only deepen the divisions with NI.

I don't know. Have you seen the interview with McIlroy?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/mcilroy-feels-no-connection-with-british-or-irish-flags-35351067.html

"I said: 'Justin, if I had been on the podium (listening) to the Irish national anthem as that flag went up, or the British National anthem as that flag went up, I would have felt uncomfortable either way.'
"I don't know the words to either anthem; I don't feel a connection to either flag; I don't want it to be about flags; I've tried to stay away from that.""

This is the new middle ground in Northern Irish politics, neither British nor Irish, but happy with the status quo and devolution.

It mightn't happen at this election, but sometime in the next decade, the population of Northern Ireland are going to reject both SF and the DUP and look for more moderate governance. If the election goes as you predict with increased sectarian division, that may actually hasten the end as ordinary people won't want the type of sectarian rubbish promulgated by both extremes.

14 people have thanked this post
Red_Wake Registered User

Godge said:
Red_Wake said:

I don't know. Have you seen the interview with McIlroy?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/mcilroy-feels-no-connection-with-british-or-irish-flags-35351067.html

"I said: 'Justin, if I had been on the podium (listening) to the Irish national anthem as that flag went up, or the British National anthem as that flag went up, I would have felt uncomfortable either way.'
"I don't know the words to either anthem; I don't feel a connection to either flag; I don't want it to be about flags; I've tried to stay away from that.""

This is the new middle ground in Northern Irish politics, neither British nor Irish, but happy with the status quo and devolution.

It mightn't happen at this election, but sometime in the next decade, the population of Northern Ireland are going to reject both SF and the DUP and look for more moderate governance. If the election goes as you predict with increased sectarian division, that may actually hasten the end as ordinary people won't want the type of sectarian rubbish promulgated by both extremes.

That would be for the best, the sooner people realise the unionist/republican divide is what's holding back NI, the sooner they'll be able to make a proper future for their country.

20 people have thanked this post

Godge said:
If the election goes as you predict with increased sectarian division, that may actually hasten the end as ordinary people won't want the type of sectarian rubbish promulgated by both extremes.

This makes non sense, as it will be the ordinary people voting for sectarian rubbish that they don't want?

I'm no shinner, and wouldn't vote for them in a fit, but it's clear to me that they are actually moderating their politics in NI but the DUP are not.

The DUP is the party of Paisley, and it beggars belief that they've outstripped the UUP in the polls. The Unionist "side" seem to be becoming more staunch, while SF moderate.

Unionism is going to eat itself eventually.

26 people have thanked this post
foggy_lad Banned

Regardless of his criminal and murderous past the poor man has looked very unwell lately, I wish him good luck in his retirement and peace and solace wherever he can find it.

6 people have thanked this post

Lovely Bloke said:
This makes non sense, as it will be the ordinary people voting for sectarian rubbish that they don't want?

I'm no shinner, and wouldn't vote for them in a fit, but it's clear to me that they are actually moderating their politics in NI but the DUP are not.

The DUP is the party of Paisley, and it beggars belief that they've outstripped the UUP in the polls. The Unionist "side" seem to be becoming more staunch, while SF moderate.

Unionism is going to eat itself eventually.

That is a matter of perspective. SF don't appear to me to have moderated in any way. They are still calling for a pointless referendum, they are still protecting rapists, child abusers and most recently those who killed Stack.

He'll be back!

Godge said:
That is a matter of perspective. SF don't appear to me to have moderated in any way. They are still calling for a pointless referendum, they are still protecting rapists, child abusers and most recently those who killed Stack.

Sorry, I was specifically referencing the non-Troubles aspect of their governance and ministerships.

I know it's hard for people to separate the two, and for those very Troubles reasons I don't vote for them in our own elections (also, their leftism/populism), but they do some across as very moderate and project an air of wanting to at least look like trying to make an effort.

The DUP do not.

3 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!