road_high Registered User

selectamatic said:
Modern Alternatives such as the prius

I'm sure some are. I always figured the Prius was more Corolla class though.

selectamatic Registered User

road_high said:
I'm sure some are. I always figured the Prius was more Corolla class though.

True I wanted to offer up a Toyota branded alternative first before suggesting that what you're looking for in an executive style saloon car made by the Toyota group will actually have a Lexus badge. Or is the is300h lagging behind these wonderful competitors too in the quality and technology stakes.

road_high Registered User

selectamatic said:
True I wanted to offer up a Toyota branded alternative first before suggesting that what you're looking for in an executive style saloon car made by the Toyota group will actually have a Lexus badge. Or is the is300h lagging behind these wonderful competitors too in the quality and technology stakes.

You raise an interesting point. No I actually think Lexus are fantastic, love their unique and classy Japanese style. The SUV thing they have looks great as does the IS range- which is why I can't understand they can't spread a bit of that to the more affordable Avensis- VW can do this with their VW and Audi ranges- why can't Toyota do similar? They're clearly well capable of desirable competent cars.

corks finest Registered User

Excorrolla said:
Hey folks just to warn people about 2011 Toyota Corolla diesel d4d. They have a problem once you go above 130000k where some gears can no longer be engaged. To fix the issue the gearbox needs to be removed which is going to cost you north of 1000 euros..Toyota customer support will not admit a fault and you are left to carry the cost. They will use excuse car is out of warranty ..note newer models may be affected also as Toyota seem to be in denial problem exists...be warned...ask around some independent garages and you will find this is becoming a known problem.. any prospective buyer of Corolla take note and stay away

Buy a Honda

@road_high

Because its a flooded market you have basic but reliable and relatively cheap avensis. The middle ground is wedged with base spec Audi's and bmw's and then the upper end of the market is lexus, bmw msport, Audi sline/black edition, jaguar, Mercedes etc.

The thing with the vw group is they are separate brands which now all operate under vw and share a parts base but originally they were their own entity.

Lexus was created by Toyota for toyota. Internationally it could be seen as Toyota's msport or amg division if you will although that's an overly simplistic view point.

Anyways we're straying too far off topic, in relation to the op I'd be interested to know if this gearbox issue is present in a six speed Toyota box mated to the 1.4d4d as I've never heard of any issues with these it's even very rear that an issue occurs with the 5 speed diesel boxes.

The bearing issue some are referring to here generally applied to 5 speed boxes from the mid noughties and generally it was the boxes mated to petrol vvti engines which gave some bother.

Augeo Registered User

JohnBoy26 said:
If the gearbox is properly reconditioned the bearings should only have to be done once.

If the gearbox was built properly first day with bearings fit for purpose a reconditioning shouldn't be required for 300 k kms + imo.

Interesting how you are quick to point out a substandard re con job while ignoring the actual issue.

Surely you can see many Toyota products (Corolla and Avensis) are essentially cheap ole sh1t that make little sense to most new car buyers compared to the competition.

1 person has thanked this post
walus Registered User

Are those 1.4 d4d fitted with dual mass flywheel by the factory?

JohnBoy26 Registered User

Augeo said:
If the gearbox was built properly first day with bearings fit for purpose a reconditioning shouldn't be required for 300 k kms + imo.

Interesting how you are quick to point out a substandard re con job while ignoring the actual issue.

Gearbox bearing failures are more to do with the bearing manufacturer rather than the car manufacturer itself. There was a lot of bearing failures across many brands in cars from the late 90's to the mid 00's.

Some cars from the early to mid 90's with the exact same gearbox as their later counterparts didn't suffer from bearing failures. nissan's sunny and the later almera are an example of this, as is the corolla.

You usually only have to replace the bearings once, that was the point I was trying to make. I've never seen bearings having to be replaced twice or three times, especially over a short period of time. Im not saying it doesn't happen but it isn't the norm.

Augeo said:

Surely you can see many Toyota products (Corolla and Avensis) are essentially cheap ole sh1t that make little sense to most new car buyers compared to the competition.

Well they must make some sense to new car buyers, otherwise Toyota wouldn't be the best selling car brand last year.

bazz26 Registered User

walus said:
Are those 1.4 d4d fitted with dual mass flywheel by the factory?

No.

elperello Registered User

In 2003 the Avensis was a good car with a good engine.
In 2009 they took away the good car and left the good engine.
In 2015 they took away the good engine and left.....?

JohnBoy26 Registered User

elperello said:
In 2003 the Avensis was a good car with a good engine.
In 2009 they took away the good car and left the good engine.
In 2015 they took away the good engine and left.....?

What are you on about?

Augeo Registered User

JohnBoy26 said:
Gearbox bearing failures are more to do with the bearing manufacturer rather than the car manufacturer itself. ...............

You can apply that "logic" to most components

JohnBoy26 said:
Well they must make some sense to new car buyers, otherwise Toyota wouldn't be the best selling car brand last year.

Little between Toyota, Hyundai, Ford and Volkswagon
Toyota make sense to some who probably don't think much about it, ole farmers daughters from the arse of Mayo etc

Dia1988 Registered User

Which Toyota model sells the most in Ireland?

Is it the Corolla, and is this because of Europecar buying a load of them for rental?

The Rav 4 and Avensis look seriously dated.

The Yaris and Aygo aren't a bad car.

Dia1988 said:
Which Toyota model sells the most in Ireland?

Is it the Corolla, and is this because of Europecar buying a load of them for rental?

Yep corolla.
Yaris up there too.

Toyota have led the hybrid revolution the last few years. They've put forward some outstanding performance orientated cars especially the truly outstanding Lexus LFA.
They're returned to btcc.
Making leaps of progress in NASCAR
And made one of the best mass produced all purpose n/a v6 engines of the last 10 years, the 2grfe.

Quite frankly if almost any other brand had done all of the above lads would be on here raving about it but it's the done thing here to paint Toyota as the antithesis of petrol heads where as nothing could be further from the truth when you look at it from a logical viewpoint and leave childish American style marque loyalty out of it.

Underarmoured Registered User

Up toyota best built cars in the world

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!